2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Ever ordered from Big Supply Shop?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 21 2012, 10:02 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I want to get a tent from them. The return policy seems more liberal than other internet warehouses---30 days, no questions asked, if in new condition. It is also one of the few that clearly gives its address and phone number.

I looked at a dozen other warehouse-type retailers and their return policies were too restrictive.

One concern is that the Reseller Ratings aren't very helpful. You would have to scroll through a zillion pages hoping to get to negative reviews. http://www.resellerratings.com/store/BigSupplyShop_13
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 21 2012, 11:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I haven't ordered from that particular site but FWIW, if you use a major credit card like visa or MC, you're pretty well protected regardless of who you order with.  If you don't get what you ordered or the services that were promised and have issues contacting the seller, refute the charges through your credit card.  Pretty straightforward in my experience.

Also, I don't know if you've checked Amazon but I've found their customer service to be excellent.  I bought a dive light thru them last year that fell off of the strap during a dive.  There was no way for me to retrieve it.  I decided to call them, not really expecting anything, but they gave me a full refund even though I no longer had the light to return (I did offer to send them the strap.)  For items fullfilled by Amazon, the return policy is good.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 21 2012, 11:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TigerFan @ Oct. 21 2012, 11:00 am)

The last thing I want to have to do is to dispute a credit card charge.

I've only used a credit card for an internet purchase a could of times. One of those times my card was hacked and my bank account was emptied. That may have been an Amazon purchase.

In the case of this tent, the Amazon price is too high.
 Post Number: 4
FamilyGuy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 22 2012, 11:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Consider using the price and approach another retailer to price match - i.e. www.moosejaw.com, campsaver.com, etc.

--------------
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 22 2012, 8:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(FamilyGuy @ Oct. 22 2012, 11:03 am)
Consider using the price and approach another retailer to price match - i.e. www.moosejaw.com, campsaver.com, etc.

FamilyGuy, thanks, I didn't think of that. Good idea.

It's funny how you can't form any picture of these places from the websites. How big are they? How many employees? What's the physical facility? I called Big Supply Shop today. It turns out they have only 5 employees and the guy who answered the phone was the "president." He was polite and forthcoming though.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 23 2012, 1:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just wanted to report that my experience with Big Supply Shop was a success. My payment was processed without incident and the tent arrived on time and in good shape. No problems at all with this drop shipper.

The only negative for me was the high shipping cost ($17 to ship a tent about halfway across the country). I usually only buy from stores that have free shipping. With a high shipping cost you don't feel like returning an item even if it's not exactly what you were hoping, so you have to know what you're buying.
 Post Number: 7
Fatpacking Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 23 2012, 3:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is one reason I like to buy from REI. Some of their stuff is a little higher in price, but the return policy is best in the biz. I also have had great experiences with BackCountry Edge which often have free shipping both ways. I recently purchased a pack from them and it didn't work out. There was already a return slip and pre-paid postage label in the box. Can't get easier than that.
6 replies since Oct. 21 2012, 10:02 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Ever ordered from Big Supply Shop?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions