2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Brooks Range Propel Tent, 4-season trekking pole tent.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 11:23 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As most know I am a fan of trekking pole-supported tents and today I just noticed this one from Brooks Range

http://brooks-range.com/Propel-Tent.html

While I have used (and reviewed) a few 3-season trekking pole tents I have never seen a 4-season model.

As I don't carry an avalanche probe any longer (not many avalanches in MN unless it comes from my roof...) I am guessing that even with the ridge pole it should be 42 or 43 oz total weight.

Anybody use one?

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 12:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They can call it a four season model all they want but I sure wouldn't want to be having snow dump on me in that thing. The sides would squash in flat...

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 1:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Why is that Tigger?

It has more support than your Shangri-la, correct? Or does yours squash in too?

I would like to see one in action or hear from somebody that has one.

The design reminds me of the MSR Fling I had back in 2006.

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
 Post Number: 4
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 2:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(rayestrella @ Oct. 23 2012, 10:10 am)
Why is that Tigger?

It has more support than your Shangri-la, correct? Or does yours squash in too?

I would like to see one in action or hear from somebody that has one.

The design reminds me of the MSR Fling I had back in 2006.

In Heavy snows, yes it can if it builds up the sides. However, I have a five man which means I can afford to lose a little. Along the bottom this last winter, I had to carefully scrape the snow off as it filled the trench and made it's way up onto the body of the tent. It put so much pressure from the snow on the sides, the center pole started to bend. It doesn't have more support than my Shangri-La (16 stake out points and four guyouts) but it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison. I'm dealing with a center vertical pole on a 5 man vs. a 2 man with a backbone.

That said, I'm just throwing my initial reaction based upon the pics.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 3:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Gotcha,

Here in MN I am not dealing with the old Sierra cement of CA (and your area too) so snow weight is not as much of an issue. Our snow to water ratio is 12 to 1 compared to 6 or 7 to 1 in CA. Plus it is so cold that the snow stays dry enough to blow away. Here my problem is having it drift on the leeward side.

--------------
 Post Number: 6
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 5:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Some comments about the Propel here :
http://bushwalk.com/forum....p132085
Note this comment " I personally had it (the Rocket)in high winds next to a hilleberg Jannu and the jannu failed while the rocket didnt' (that was in NZ high up)
The Propel is very similar to the discontinued Rocket . The Rocket was in aluminised Cuben (the Cuben failed)
ninjupuppet has had almost as many tents as you Ray...
9picture :ninjapuppet)
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 6:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the link Franco. I am going to go read it, but one thing that jumped out is the guy saying it is silnylon. That does not jive with the specs that say it is 15d Sil / PU Nylon 1200mm which menas it is nylon with silicone treatment on one side and polyurethane on the other. (Unless he had a beta test shelter which was silnylon... )

Anyway thanks.

--------------
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 7:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

His was an early version , a replacement for his faulty Rocket.
However some do call the nylon you are describing "silnylon"
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 7:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well they shouldn't. ;-)

But that makes sense as I read his posts and he described it stretching and being unable to get a taut pitch. The new stuff should be better as it should be similar to what the Big Agnes UL fly's use.

I am intrigued more than ever.

They are talking rain turning to snow tomorrow so I am heading out just to see how another tent likes it. I better bring a book.

--------------
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 8:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Our snow to water ratio is 12 to 1"

Saw fluffy snow (briefly) this year for the first time for a very long time.
Must be fun melting that stuff ...
(The Propel  might be just a bit tight for you)
 Post Number: 11
FamilyGuy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 10:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Jannu? Failed?

Gosh, I call BS on that.

--------------
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."
 Post Number: 12
johnq62 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2012, 12:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Why not just pulk?  with  a 11 # winter tent! Bring a nice seasoned london broil to grill?
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2012, 12:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No, Ninja walks the talk. He is a climber and owns that particular Jannu.
here is one of his  comment from another thread:
"I currently have 5 hilleberg tents, and why need another tent? For mountaineering, you generally need a nice solid tent to set up basecamp for several weeks at at time. You wait for a good weather window, and you shoot for the top. On shorter summits, a bivi is enough for backup but longer summits are more comfy in a tent. Required is a belaying partner, hence ruling out 1 man tents like the soulo (thanks Stu! it's still comming with me on remote solo trips). Hilleberg’s answer to the alpine assault tent is the Jannu but at nearly 3kg, it is 300% heavier than a direct 2 and makes climbing quite awkward. As I found out, even the Jannu is not indestructable.

Found the original trip report.
"(Hilleberg jannu Vs Brooks Range Rocket)
This was the one I was waiting for. A shootout between my 2 mountaineering tents. We were told not to bring tents as huts were to be used, but I saw it as a cool opportunity to put them to the test. It was a burden to carry them, but all worth it in the end. One weighs 1kg while the Hilleberg weighs 3x as much and costs abit more.
There was a strong gale force warning over the easter Saturday and we had already bunkered down into the new colin todd hut for 5 days due to bad weather. It was only refurbished in January this year. Once the rain reduced enough for us to get out of the hut, we used all the mountaineering gear we had at our disposal to rig up the tents near the hut. Colin Todd hut was chosen for its location to be as windy as possible so that snow wouldn’t build up. Ice anchors, snow pickets, cams, quickdraws, nuts, ice screws – everything! The wind already registered 108kph gusts while we were setting up the tent. We ran back inside the hut and started to prey that we wouldn’t loose our rack to the wind. That night the winds picked up even more and blew so hard that the hut walls were banging against my head as was leaning against the wall. Non stop howling of the wind all night which died down in the morning. Got out at 7am Easter Sunday and it was relatively calm, -9C and skies were actually clear for the first time in 5 days. Relieved to see both tents still there, but then to my horror, 2 of my Jannu tent poles broke!!!! Ran over to the rocket which was set up with Leki trekking poles, and it was still in perfect condition! All anchors heldfast.
Winner: rocket tent. I was actually really disappointed with the jannu, but to be fair, winds were the strongest Ive ever experienced in my life and the jannu could have been doubled up with 2 sets of poles. All this does, is confirm my confidence in the Rocket, and I am sure Hilleberg will only be happy to hear about my story and offer replacement poles.'
In theory the Propel should perform about the same as the Rocket...
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2012, 6:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Franco @ Oct. 23 2012, 7:38 pm)
"Our snow to water ratio is 12 to 1"

Saw fluffy snow (briefly) this year for the first time for a very long time.
Must be fun melting that stuff ...
(The Propel  might be just a bit tight for you)

It is horrible to melt. Make a mess trying to get it in the pot and takes forever.

I look for places that the snow has compacted due to wind, like at old drifts or better yet chop it from the top of lakes as it kind of freezes to the ice and builds a layer on the surface. Here I bring it to an actual boil as I end up with some cruddy snow that has bits of stuff in it. I do miss the nice heavy (clean) snow of CA.

I am thinking of the Propel for solo use.

Time for coffee. My pack is mostly packed, tent still spread out from drying after the last trip. Not looking forward to hiking in the rain. Can't it stop until I get to camp? ;-)

--------------
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 9:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well I have one on the way. Hopefully by the time deer season ends (I don't go out while they are blasting at everything that moves) the snow will be hitting us. It rained last night! Ugh,

--------------
 Post Number: 16
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 4:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Something about this thread makes me laugh really hard!

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 7:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And I'm ok with that.

;-)

--------------
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 7:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Something about this thread makes me laugh really hard"

How about you share so that we can laugh with you ?
 Post Number: 19
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 9:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Franco @ Nov. 06 2012, 7:25 pm)
"Something about this thread makes me laugh really hard"

How about you share so that we can laugh with you ?

If I have to explain the joke it won't be funny!

However, I am in the market for a new tent and if this guy out-performed a Jannu, for less than half the price and just over half the weight . . . maybe I can bully my gf into buying me one for Christmas . . .

--------------
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 9:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

UPS says mine is here tomorrow.

The kids come tomorrow afternoon too (they are with me one week each month, plus 5 more days this month) so I have to clean (get all the gear out of the front room, kitchen, bathrooms, oh yeah and the quilt drying on my son's bed), go shopping so there is more than freeze dried to eat, and get a hair cut. But if I have time I will take it out and set it up to get some pics, plus do my normal weighing and measuring. Hopefully I can get some initial impressions up this weekend.

--------------
 Post Number: 21
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 9:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you could order about 2 feet of snow with that to see how it loads, that'd be great.

--------------
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 9:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ha, you know me. I have a standing order for that.

It is supposed to snow this weekend but we had a weird warm up and now the ground is warm so we are back to mud. I will be using this and another tent all winter so I should get some good data for you.

Feel free to email me NG if you want earlier thoughts.

Or flag this thread.

--------------
 Post Number: 23
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 10:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(rayestrella @ Nov. 08 2012, 9:54 pm)
Ha, you know me. I have a standing order for that.

It is supposed to snow this weekend but we had a weird warm up and now the ground is warm so we are back to mud. I will be using this and another tent all winter so I should get some good data for you.

Feel free to email me NG if you want earlier thoughts.

Or flag this thread.

Send it to me.  We're supposed to get snow and high winds tonight.

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 12:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am sending No Granola to you right now.

;-)

--------------
 Post Number: 25
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 12:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(rayestrella @ Nov. 09 2012, 12:09 am)
I am sending No Granola to you right now.

;-)

:O

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 5:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So the forecast was for snow (and it is snowing right now) so I set up the Propel tent outside this morning as my son wants to camp out. I figured he can help me see how it fits two people since I will be using it solo when in the field. Here is a picture of it with two pads. One is a Large and the other a Regular. Both NeoAir XTherms.  It takes pretty much all the room in the tent.

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 5:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And here it is with our sleep gear inside. I have my 5 F quilt and my son has a 20 F bag with a Jacks 'R' Better Sierra Stealth quilt as an overbag. Our gear is hitting the sides so it will be interesting to see how it does by the morning.

It is starting to blow pretty good right now too. May be a fun night.

My daughter has absolutely no interest in winter camping and will watch us from the window. Smart girl. ;-)

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 23 2012, 9:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well it was 15 F when we went to bed and I had to dig out the tent. The Weather Channel was reporting wind at 39 mph and it blasted us all night.

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 23 2012, 10:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As you can see it is a pretty tight fit for two people. Besides the storm bringing all its moisture the condensation was enhanced due to the fact that the day before we had gotten into the 50's, so the ground had been moist. Add that to the extreme drop in temps (it was 13 F for a low) and the condensation started as soon as we got in.

My son decided that he better play it safe and wear a JRB down hood also. ;-)

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 23 2012, 10:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

FG emailed me wanting to know about condensation so here is more. I had the two upper vents open, (they had spin-drift inside that fell on our quilts) and I left the top of the door open to get air movement, which there was quite a bit of. The lower vent you see at the foot of my son's quilt was useless as it was buried. There was no way for two people to avoid hitting the sides and both our quilts ended up with a coating of ice where it touched at the bottom edge. I think it will make a fine solo for myself this winter and I will write a review of it at the end of winter.

But no more doubling up! It was a good thing it was my son in there with me. Another guy would have been awkward, and another tall guy impossible. Me and two cheerleaders would have been OK though... ;-)

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
35 replies since Oct. 23 2012, 11:23 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Brooks Range Propel Tent
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions