2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Need advice re REI Half Done vent leaks< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
jschaumberg Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 12:06 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have an REI Half Dome 2 tent that I pitched last night in the rain for the first time. I love the tent overall but during heavy rain the rain fly vents on both sides sagged a little, water pooled on the underside part of the vent and dripped in on both sides. Any tips on what I might have done wrong? I don't see other complaints along these lines with this tent so I imagine I must have set up the rainfly incorrectly somehow, although it seemed fine until I woke up wet. Thanks in advance.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 12:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Did you try closing the vents?

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 3
jschaumberg Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 12:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

lol. Yes, they have a velcro strap to hold them closed in the middle but the vent is maybe 4 inches and it dripped from the corners.
 Post Number: 4
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 1:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't own the tent but I can see how you might have issues.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2012, 4:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Seam sealer and maybe tighten up the guylines once they get wet.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 6
DukeFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2012, 11:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have the Half Dome 4 for car camping and have not had any problems with all guy lines attached during several coastal tropical storms. I always leave the vents open and Velcro attached squarely. The only time the inside got damp was from condensation that froze and I hit the side by mistake...brrr.

Take it to REI if the problem is not fixed with tightened guy lines and properly set vent Velcro. Mine has been good for 200+ nights, many of which were spent in storms that would have caused power outages at home.
 Post Number: 7
dayhiker9 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2012, 11:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yep ask REI (actually take it there, and they will probably let you set it up there and give some pointers - maybe call them first they might prefer setting up a new etc. ), and if they can't make you happy they will let u return it.
 Post Number: 8
Ron. Search for posts by this member.
don't surround yourself with your self

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2012, 12:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When setting up the tent make sure you use the velcro straps on the rainfly at all four corners.

Stake out the tent not only at the four corners and two vestibules but pick up a couple more stakes and stake out the two ends.

The rain fly should be extremely taught when installed properly, like a drum skin. A lazy sloppy looking rainfly will not work as well as a super taught pitch.

--------------
And be kind toward one another
 Post Number: 9
Altarboy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 23 2012, 8:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

My buddy bought one not long ago and called me about those vents and asked me how they wouldnt leak. I told him surely REI knew what they were doing. I don't think it's rained on him yet. You are talking about the funny vent kinda high up on the rain-fly, right?
8 replies since Oct. 23 2012, 12:06 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Need advice re REI Half Done vent leaks
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions