2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Sleeping Bag out of the Way!, Sierra Designs< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
TWinAlbany Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 3:33 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I now have the sleeping bag issue out of the way. I went with the Sierra Designs Ridge Runner from Campmor. I know it is a 30 degree bag but, I sleep hot and figure I can wear extra if need be. The bag had some good reviews and I too like the fact that the sleeping pad can be secured to the bottom of the bag. Now for a good pad!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 4:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thermarest pads in general have been my favorite as far as quality and longevity. I can't ever recall having to purchase a new pad because of failure with my Thermarest pads. I can't say the same in regards to other manufacturer's pads that I've tried.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 4:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks, any particular model by thermarest for a 6'1" individual?
 Post Number: 4
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 4:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TWinAlbany @ Oct. 23 2012, 1:36 pm)
Thanks, any particular model by thermarest for a 6'1" individual?

The most R-Value you can afford...as a general rule. Insulation equals warmth.

Many people around here swear by the NeoAir pads for comfort. I'm still a bit leary of the fragility but that's a personal thing for me.

Each person deals with padding differently. I'm a 3/4 Prolite plus pad with pack under my legs and supplement with a closed-cell Z-Rest (Now called the Z-Lite) foam pad in winter. Mind you, I'm a four season backpacker in Bend, Oregon who hikes up on Mt. Hood and other areas with temps hitting 0 often. It's taken me quite a few years to figure out what setups work for me and will protect me from the elements in the temp ranges I hit while not sacrificing comfort.

In shoulder seasons, I carry a full length pad for hammock camping. In summer, I carry an ultralight 3/4 pad alone that still has a decent R-Value.

Just starting out, you should pick the pad (or pads) that are going to get you to the temp range you need...and comfort level you need.

I could use a nice thick NeoAir...but I'm plenty comfortable on my Prolite Plus. I'm 5'10" by the way.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 5:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks again. I will look more into it but, I could probably get by with a 3/4 pad also as I don't worry to much about the lower parts. My main concern for comfort is the upper areas and I'm only doing spring/summer packing.
 Post Number: 6
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 6:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you want a 3/4 I can help. I bought my kids Big Agnes Insulated Air Cores, size 20 x 66 and they have used them 4 times. Now they both grew like crazy this year and don't fit so I am going to sell them. Shoot me an email or PM if you are interested in one and I will give you a good deal.

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 7
IAJeff Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2012, 10:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TWinAlbany @ Oct. 23 2012, 3:33 pm)
I too like the fact that the sleeping pad can be secured to the bottom of the bag.

If you figure out how to use them let me know. My bag has some loops on the side for this, but not sure how to use them. The only thing that I can think of is to use some rope, but that seems too primitive.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2012, 10:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bag will arrive on Monday so, I'll see if I can figure it out and let you know.
 Post Number: 9
obchristo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2012, 11:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sierra Designs used to make "Pad Locks" which were this:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/sierra-....p~98594

Basically a fancy adjustable hook system. I used them for awhile, but honestly some 3mm cord worked just as good.

--------------
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Knowledge is the one thing you can aways carry more of- and not increase pack weight!!!!
 Post Number: 10
JOHN/OHIO Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 27 2012, 1:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have 2 Sierra Design Sleeping Bags and pleased to say I'm very happy with their overall performance.  They've been great in all conditions I've put them thru.

SD Sandman 15 degree synthetic
SD Arrow Rock 15 degree down

--------------
"Fresh mud on the bottom of your boots is tranquility to the soul and a few steps closer to heaven".
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 27 2012, 8:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks, that gives me a good feeling on my choice for a bag. I am hoping it will meet all my needs.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 7:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bag arrived safe and sound and I'm happy with it. It has straps across the back to hold the pad in place so, I'm hoping no problems there.
 Post Number: 13
IAJeff Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 8:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Straps you say. That is not what I was hoping for, Hehe.

Good to hear that your purchase arrived safe. Hope it works out in your favor. I think that I have to upgrade mine already or limit the weather that I can go out in.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 9:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yep, has straps on the back. I'm thinking it will work pretty well for me for the just Spring and Summer packing I intend to do. Perhaps as I get more experienced, I'll look to longer trips and various seasons.
13 replies since Oct. 23 2012, 3:33 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Sleeping Bag out of the Way!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions