2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Ideas for a tarp< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2012, 8:57 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, we got lost last weekend, (long very funny story), and had to set up deep in the woods a few miles off track.

I had my tent and Peter had his hammock.

Peter typically carries 130 lbs in his pack and has his I pad, iphone 20lbs of first aid stuff etc etc...

But...he did have a small nylon/reflective tarp which we used to sit under during the heavy rain, (we typically hike into lean to's)...It worked so well I am now seriously considering one to take along.

I'd like it light,  large enough for 2-3 people to sit under during rain to preferably w/some tie outs along to alter pitch.  I think the Noahs Tarp is a tad heavy/bulky

I will never go w/out a tent so this would be our makeshift lean to/cooking area.

What has worked for you?

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2012, 9:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a Gossamer Gear SpinnTwinn tarp I bring on some trips when I backpack and most trips when I canoe camp. I picked it up used on BPL gear swap. Works great for around camp when it is expected to rain.

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
vinovampire Search for posts by this member.
Winter is Coming

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2012, 11:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds like something along the lines of an ID SilTarp would fit the bill for you.

I found a crazy deal on a brand new one at a close-out sale over the summer and I'm still kicking myself for passing on it.
 Post Number: 4
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2012, 12:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've got two different sizes of tarps an 8 x 8 or 10 and a 10x12. The small one I carry on bp trips and the larger one is for canoeing trips. Both from Cook Custom Sewing.
 Post Number: 5
wayne9867 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2012, 4:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a Granite Gear White Lightning Tarp I use over my hammock.  8x10 and weigh right around 1 lb.
 Post Number: 6
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2012, 5:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Noah's Tarp happy user here.  Weight be danged, it sheltered me from a summer storm with horizontal rain and 50 MPH gusts.  the 9x9 is 1 lb 13 oz and worth every oz.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 7
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2012, 7:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use 2 from OES, but Brian has had some difficulties recently, so maybe you should try this place  $79 for an 8 x 10 silnylon

Warbonnet has other sizes and range up to $150. 13 to 19 ounces

There are other suppliers, if you want to drop by hammockforums.net, there is an entire section devoted to tarps and suppliers.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 8
JOHN/OHIO Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2012, 9:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

MSR/Walrus Trekker Tarp:

--------------
                   "Fresh mud on the bottom of your boots is tranquility to the soul and a few steps closer to heaven".
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 25 2012, 11:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Noah's Tarp happy user here.

How bulky do you find it??

--------------
 Post Number: 10
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 25 2012, 12:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was hiking in San Gorgonio Wilderness and was in a huge storm. It was pounding so hard I could barely see. I ran into two sisters from France waiting out the rain under a hastily rigged tarp and they invited me to share, which I did of course. (Momma didn't raise no dummies.)

I have always remembered that and have thought many times about picking up a very light tarp to use like that or to cook under. Maybe a cuben fiber model so the weight won't be too bad.

I wonder if I can find one with two French girls though? ;-)

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 11
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 25 2012, 1:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In MN Ray, it might be easier to find some Scandinavian girls for the tarp.

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 12
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 25 2012, 1:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm another happy Noah's Tarp user....mine is 12 x 12 and 2lbs 1 oz.  not ultra-lite for sure but worth the extra weight for the price.

Love the space especially in the rain.

Each to his own....not sure how to answer the bulk question.....

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 25 2012, 6:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wcolucci @ Oct. 25 2012, 11:07 am)
Noah's Tarp happy user here.

How bulky do you find it??

Definitely bulkier than sil-nylon.  Specs say packed size of 5 x 23 inches, but it's not tightly packed at that size.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 14
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 25 2012, 9:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Noah's tarps are great.  I have the 9 and the 12 but they are heavy and I rarely take them backpacking unless we are a group.  
I have a GG SilTwinn that I carry most times.  It will work as a shelter for two and for cooking, etc.
If I am alone, I carry my Go-lite poncho tarp.

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
 Post Number: 15
johnq62 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 25 2012, 11:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Noah 9&12 user also
I bring the 9 if weather is forcasted to be a issue on short trips.
The 12 with poles is in my Binto for every car camp trip.
I abused both for years and their timex
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2012, 10:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

thanks for all the replies.

I am a Kelty fan, kind of like my Guild guitars, they are like the step brother no one like to talk about having.

I'm by no means ultra light as I'll carry a decent load of food & bev but it needs to squash down.

I typically jam my tent on top before closing the spindrift collar...would you say the Noahs tarp is bigger/bulkier than a typical fly for a two man tent??

--------------
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2012, 10:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wcolucci @ Oct. 26 2012, 10:37 am)
..would you say the Noahs tarp is bigger/bulkier than a typical fly for a two man tent??

No, I don't think it's any bigger, but I don't have an ultra-lite tent either.

The fly is always the first thing I put up...

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2012, 12:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(gunslinger @ Oct. 26 2012, 10:44 am)

(wcolucci @ Oct. 26 2012, 10:37 am)
..would you say the Noahs tarp is bigger/bulkier than a typical fly for a two man tent??

No, I don't think it's any bigger, but I don't have an ultra-lite tent either.

The fly is always the first thing I put up...

Agreed.  the 9x9 is probably the same bulk as the fly of my 2 man dome tent.

--------------
 Post Number: 19
Ron. Search for posts by this member.
don't surround yourself with your self

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2012, 12:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(vinovampire @ Oct. 24 2012, 10:19 am)
Sounds like something along the lines of an ID SilTarp would fit the bill for you.

I found a crazy deal on a brand new one at a close-out sale over the summer and I'm still kicking myself for passing on it.

My backpacking tarp is also an ID SilTarp (8X10).

It has held up well over the last four years, it has seen a fair amount of wind and rain.

--------------
And be kind toward one another
 Post Number: 20
AggieHiker92 Search for posts by this member.
Hiking with kids in tow adds a new dimension to the Wonders of Nature

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2012, 1:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use a Guide Gear 12x12 that is offered on Amazon or Bargain Outfitters on occasion.  They sell fast when available.  Mine is white, but they carry green or tan ones too. I paid less than 30 bucks including shipping, and it weighs in at 2 lb 1.3 oz  with 4 tie ropes and the carry bag.

--------------
"Though I've belted you and flayed you / By the living Gawd that made you / You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din." - Rudyard Kipling
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 3:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

ok, outside of the redneck factor my thinking has taken a very big step backward tech wise.

We were doing so fall clean up around the house the other day and needed to cover up some implements.

my wife had purchased a few blue poly tarps...one 8' x 10'   hmmm.....  did not feel heavy in my hands...granted I'd not want to put it IN my pack.......sad to think where this is going huh??

Ok, darn thing is:

A: waterproof...to a point..
B;  Weighs 18.0 oz
C: I can get one at REI for $7 if I need the backcountry cred. vs home Depot.

Why spend an additional $80-$100+ for a silnylon tarp that will save me 4 oz??????

Now granted, I used an old aluminum drip coffee pot for years, I've always enjoyed kind of a one downsmanship gear wise, (hence my fondness for Coleman Peak One stuff and Kelty)...but a blue tarp....

What am I missing??

--------------
 Post Number: 22
Walkinman Search for posts by this member.
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 3:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a few small tarps .. the ID 8x10 is great, though pricey. I also  have a smaller 5'x8' one, much cheaper, made by (maybe) Equinox, or something similar. I think it cost me about $75.00 or so, is super light, and works fine for 2 people to sit under.

Cheers

Carl

--------------
Guided Alaska backpacking and hiking trips

"What good is a used up world and how can it be worth having?" -- Sting, All This Time.
 Post Number: 23
AggieHiker92 Search for posts by this member.
Hiking with kids in tow adds a new dimension to the Wonders of Nature

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2012, 2:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wcolucci @ Oct. 29 2012, 3:12 pm)
ok, outside of the redneck factor my thinking has taken a very big step backward tech wise.

We were doing so fall clean up around the house the other day and needed to cover up some implements.

my wife had purchased a few blue poly tarps...one 8' x 10'   hmmm.....  did not feel heavy in my hands...granted I'd not want to put it IN my pack.......sad to think where this is going huh??

Ok, darn thing is:

B;  Weighs 18.0 oz

Why spend an additional $80-$100+ for a silnylon tarp that will save me 4 oz??????

Now granted, I used an old aluminum drip coffee pot for years, I've always enjoyed kind of a one downsmanship gear wise, (hence my fondness for Coleman Peak One stuff and Kelty)...but a blue tarp....

What am I missing??

Nothing wrong at all with the Redneck approach.  Blue tarps work great for all kinds of things; seen plenty wrapped around state park shelters down here in Texas for "winter camping" weekenders who don't like the brisk north wind coming off the lakeshore.  Also used one on more than one backpacking trip for a quick shelter or groundcloth.  

I don't particularly like them because they tend to be stiff and hard to cram into a pack.  They're best rolled/folded up and tied to the outside.  Also, they tend to be noisy in the lightest of breezes.  

Otherwise, they're just peachy.  :D

--------------
"Though I've belted you and flayed you / By the living Gawd that made you / You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din." - Rudyard Kipling
 Post Number: 24
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2012, 2:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My first "tarping" trip was under a blue poly-tarp.  I set it up with my poles and slept under the thing just fine, even in a heavy storm that produced tornadoes in the region.  I seen no issue with them, at least on the short term.  If the 4-6oz penalty (with the added volume) doesn't bother you and the cost savings makes it worth it, go with it.

They don't last all that long (start to delaminate after enough UV radiation), but for the short term?  They work.

IMO, anyway.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 25
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2012, 3:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wcolucci @ Oct. 29 2012, 3:12 pm)

Ok, darn thing is:

B;  Weighs 18.0 oz

What am I missing??

Tarpsplus has them in all colors.  Tan, camo etc.  More organic than blue.  I use tan to cover my boat.  I think the neighbors appreciate it a bit more.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2012, 5:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Think Northern Tool or Harbor Freight .....best selection and low prices for "redneck" tarps.

Lots of different colors too.....and for the true redneck....they even have camo.....ask me how I know....

--------------
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2012, 7:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

No redneck factor there.  A tarp is.  Use clear plastic if you want to as long as it gets you out there.

--------------
26 replies since Oct. 24 2012, 8:57 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Ideas for a tarp
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions