2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Your favorite and least favorite tent colors?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 28 2012, 12:10 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Three of the worst, in my opinion:

STOIC: I would be interested in this brand if it weren't for the orange tent with the white fly.

MARMOT: The previous Limelight always reminds me of a pumpkin. The current bright yellow isn't much better.

REI: Would seriously consider the Half Dome if it weren't for the yellow fly.

KELTY: The current white flys are horrible. The previous maroon and tan was much better.

BEST, IMO:
Alps Mountaineering
Mountain Hardware

I know colors used to be worse, practially psychedelic. I'm aware of some reasons for tent colors:
--To be found in the snow
--To brighten the interior physically and emotionally
--To reflect (summer) or absorb (winter) heat
--??

My priorities:
--To NOT be seen in the woods. This is a matter of not only privacy but safety.
--Calm, soothing color that blends with the forest
--Reasonable interior light (that eliminates a lot of blue Sierra Designs, which are dark inside)
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 28 2012, 12:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tarptents are a nice, unobtrusive shade of grey-green.  SMD tents are fairly similar, but greener.

I didn't realize SD had shifted to blue.  Their old green color was good, but most double-walled tents seem dark to me now.
 Post Number: 3
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 28 2012, 12:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

why don't they offer a camo tent?

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 4
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 28 2012, 12:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In winter, I want a bright colored tent. I like the yellow tent I currently have. Anything muted or dark...I don't want.

In summer, it's the opposite. I want muted colors.

So....anything that doesn't fit that criteria, I don't want.

I would be a fan of a Khaki tent in summer for repellent features of mosquitoes.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
CharlesTheHammer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 28 2012, 3:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Oct. 28 2012, 12:42 pm)
In winter, I want a bright colored tent. I like the yellow tent I currently have. Anything muted or dark...I don't want.

I would be a fan of a Khaki tent in summer for repellent features of mosquitoes.

Why a bright colored tent in winter, to make yourself visible to hunters so they dont shoot in your direction?

If bright colored tents are good for winter, then I have the ultimate winter tent!
 Post Number: 6
jmarklane Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 28 2012, 4:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TrailTramper @ Oct. 28 2012, 12:10 pm)
Three of the worst, in my opinion:

STOIC: I would be interested in this brand if it weren't for the orange tent with the white fly.

MARMOT: The previous Limelight always reminds me of a pumpkin. The current bright yellow isn't much better.

REI: Would seriously consider the Half Dome if it weren't for the yellow fly.

KELTY: The current white flys are horrible. The previous maroon and tan was much better.

BEST, IMO:
Alps Mountaineering
Mountain Hardware

I know colors used to be worse, practially psychedelic. I'm aware of some reasons for tent colors:
--To be found in the snow
--To brighten the interior physically and emotionally
--To reflect (summer) or absorb (winter) heat
--??

My priorities:
--To NOT be seen in the woods. This is a matter of not only privacy but safety.
--Calm, soothing color that blends with the forest
--Reasonable interior light (that eliminates a lot of blue Sierra Designs, which are dark inside)

Seems odd, your favorites and least favorites seem to have a lot in common -- both make orange and white tents...?  

I like the Nemo designs but hate the colors.  Can't figure out why they do that.  

My preference is for natural tones, brown, green, tan.  Gray and even black are ok (I like the look of the Big Sky Revolution in "granite gray").  I strongly dislike neon colors, or anything that will stand out in the woods.
 Post Number: 7
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 28 2012, 5:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(CharlesTheHammer @ Oct. 28 2012, 12:55 pm)

(Tigger @ Oct. 28 2012, 12:42 pm)

Why a bright colored tent in winter, to make yourself visible to hunters so they dont shoot in your direction?

If bright colored tents are good for winter, then I have the ultimate winter tent!

Because it stays dark so long, a bright colored tent goes a long way toward keeping my sanity on those long poker and whiskey nights. In winter, I tend to hike in all kinds of weather. I don't wait for "good" weather. Having a visible (bright) colored tent has helped on occasion and makes it much easier to find camp. I like the reflective strips on my winter shelter and also use reflective cord as well.

The only place I go that has habitation nearby is White River which has ski resorts on both sides. That is a place I take people for introductory snowshoeing as the way in is relatively flat, it is easy to get a hold of rescue, and there are great sledding hills. The other locations I snowshoe into, people rarely go ever in winter as the terrain is very difficult, it is off-trail, and you have to enjoy a bit of "punishment" to get there.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 8
JOHN/OHIO Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 28 2012, 6:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Least: Red, Orange, Blue & White

Favorite: Earth Tones: Brown, Green, Tan,

--------------
                   "Fresh mud on the bottom of your boots is tranquility to the soul and a few steps closer to heaven".
 Post Number: 9
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 28 2012, 8:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My ideal combination would be a tent that's orange or red or some similar warm color for the psychological lift it gives while your inside.  But I'd like the fly to be a gray, green or tan to blend in with the surroundings.  I don't understand why manufacturers can't do that.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 10
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 28 2012, 8:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We have an MSR Mutha Hubba that is red with a green fly.

I like the yellow Shangri-las in the winter.

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
 Post Number: 11
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 28 2012, 9:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(toesnorth @ Oct. 28 2012, 8:58 pm)
We have an MSR Mutha Hubba that is red with a green fly.

Makes sense to me.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 12
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 28 2012, 9:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Prefer brighter colors, dark caves don't appeal to me.

That said color isn't a prime consideration, layout, construction and design all are ahead of it. My one custom shelter I did spec in yellow Cuben, but Cuben is so thin the color isn't very dominating more a grayish yellow than anything.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 28 2012, 10:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Oct. 28 2012, 8:04 pm)
My ideal combination would be a tent that's orange or red or some similar warm color for the psychological lift it gives while your inside.  But I'd like the fly to be a gray, green or tan to blend in with the surroundings.  I don't understand why manufacturers can't do that.

I agree. The color of my 2P tent is too bright, and the only reason I bought it 8 years ago or so, is because I got like 35% off the regular price even though it was a newer model. It was regularly $279 and I got it for $189.

Its a Marmot Nyx tent, and I really like it, but they only came in 2 colors, gray(which wouldve been OK) and bright orange, which is what they had in stock, and apparently the vast majority of the Marmot tents of that era were orange anyway. Many still are.

But I would like to get a fly from the medium gray colored Nyx because it would cover the big diagonal orange stripe over the main tent body, and the darker orange bottom area but they stopped making the Nyx several years ago, so I cant find one, so I'm stuck with bright orange. It sticks out like a sore thumb in any campsite!
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 28 2012, 10:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That, of course, can be a good thing.

When backpacking with our lunar duo (and a couple of other plain jane tents), which is grayish, I take at least one garish-colored piece of clothing for emergency locating help.

--------------
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 28 2012, 10:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

[Quote jmarklane] Seems odd, your favorites and least favorites seem to have a lot in common -- both make orange and white tents...?  [Quote]

I'm referring to the subdued greens by Mt. Hardwear and Alps.
 Post Number: 16
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 28 2012, 11:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The  peculiar aspect with these kind of threads is that,  for a start,  some cannot understand why others don't like the colours they do but apart from that I never see "colour blindness" mentioned or more precisely colour deficiency.
The percentage varies by race but for Caucasian males  it is around  8-10%, so it is entirely possible that a "red" tent is discussed but one sees that red as green or brown..
Here is a quick test:

the first is the std vision, the second and third is how colour deficient people see the first.
If you don't see a number in the first pic than you have a problem...
BTW there are many version of colour deficiency , including for example seeing red as red but calling it green or  accurately call red as red but in fact see a different colour than the one  others see.
If you like the eye usually see the some colour but the brain may interpret that colour differently .
 Post Number: 17
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 28 2012, 11:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Favorite color, medium-pale yellow.

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 28 2012, 11:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Brad,
Is the Hubba hp also in orange?  
I used to have a regular Hubba and really liked it but decided to only keep one solo tent and that one wasn't it.  However, I tried to get a Hubba hp, hubba hubba hp and a mutha hubba hp and failed.

--------------
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 12:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(toesnorth @ Oct. 28 2012, 9:49 pm)
Brad,
Is the Hubba hp also in orange?  
I used to have a regular Hubba and really liked it but decided to only keep one solo tent and that one wasn't it.  However, I tried to get a Hubba hp, hubba hubba hp and a mutha hubba hp and failed.

No, mine's the new model with white interior and green fly... very pleasant due to the muting effect of the white interior.

The new Hubba HP ditches the old HP's net ceiling which is a HUGE plus to me.

I believe my price, delivered, was around $350 from these guys:

http://www.adventure-spec.com/default/msr-hubba-hp-tent.html

--------------
 Post Number: 20
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 8:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Th old HP has the same ceiling as your HP has. The regular models have the mesh.

I too like the new green fly. I have the Carbon Reflex 3 also with the yellow/orange fly and wish I could get one of the new green ones for it.

For 3-season I prefer earth-tones, lighter the better. Winter yellow is OK.

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 9:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Franco @ Oct. 28 2012, 11:14 pm)
The  peculiar aspect with these kind of threads is that,  for a start,  some cannot understand why others don't like the colours they do but apart from that I never see "colour blindness" mentioned or more precisely colour deficiency..

HA! I was wondering about that when hikerjer said a red tent with a green fly makes sense to him.  :D
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 9:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(rayestrella @ Oct. 29 2012, 6:53 am)
Th old HP has the same ceiling as your HP has.

No it doesn't... the old has a mesh, diamond-shaped vent in the top that the new HP doesn't have. I know this because I actually have the new one, so I'm not guessing...

OLD:

NEW:

--------------
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 10:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Look at the link you provided, saying that is your tent. That is what I was going by.

--------------
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 10:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(rayestrella @ Oct. 29 2012, 8:10 am)

Look at the link you provided, saying that is your tent. That is what I was going by.

It doesn't have a mesh diamond in the ceiling.

Ray, you're the proto-typical internet expert.

--------------
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 10:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah Brad, I got that now. Like I said you are the one that provided the link saying "this is my tent". That is all I had to go by as mine is the older model.

Of course I put actual pictures of my tents up, not links to the wrong thing. Who is relying on the internet too much, hmm?

--------------
 Post Number: 26
G22inSC Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 12:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here is a quick test:

the first is the std vision, the second and third is how colour deficient people see the first.

Maybe I am color blind but didn't know it.  What is the number?  Can't quite tell but I'm thinking a "2" or "8".
 Post Number: 27
TWinAlbany Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 1:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As long as it ain't PINK! :D
 Post Number: 28
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 1:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

G22, I'll PM you the answer. Shouldn't give the answer here, that could sway someone trying to test their vision.

Thanks Franco for making the point about base color perception, it is different for all of us.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 3:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The number is very clear to someone who isn't colorblind.
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 4:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

The  peculiar aspect with these kind of threads is that,  for a start,  some cannot understand why others don't like the colours they do but apart from that I never see "colour blindness" mentioned or more precisely colour deficiency.
The percentage varies by race but for Caucasian males  it is around  8-10%, so it is entirely possible that a "red" tent is discussed but one sees that red as green or brown..
Here is a quick test:

BTW there are many version of colour deficiency , including for example seeing red as red but calling it green or  accurately call red as red but in fact see a different colour than the one  others see.
If you like the eye usually see the some colour but the brain may interpret that colour differently .

People with normal vision will see a '2' in the first circle, and the other circles just illustrate what the first circle looks like to people with color deficiency.

But people with bionic eyes will see a bright red '2' in all 3 circles, and thats how I saw them.... LOL

Seriously, aside from maybe 3 people, I wouldnbt know if anyone I have ever known was color blind, because most people either dont talk about it, or maybe its so slight that they dont realize it(?)
43 replies since Oct. 28 2012, 12:10 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Your favorite and least favorite tent colors?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions