2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Stephenson Warmlite bags, Are they durable?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
vigilguy Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2012, 12:18 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have read widely varying reviews about them.  I was mostly concerned about internal baffle tears/separations.

I found a used one and am considering grabbing it, but I do not want to deal with the wrath and condescending attitude of Jack Stephenson if I need repairs.

Thanks in advance-  

Charlie
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2012, 12:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Jack is about 80 now so I don't think that he will be at the other end of the phone...
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2012, 5:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just goes to show that ya can't believe everything you read about people...

I spoke with Jane and William today @ Warmlite, and found them to be quite cordial and polite, and just want to be treated fairly in business transactions.

Their bags have intrigued me, and I think I will just take the plunge and get one.
 Post Number: 4
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2012, 7:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Did you ask them what they were wearing?
:cool:
 Post Number: 5
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2012, 8:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Probably a smile
 Post Number: 6
leadbelly2550 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2012, 8:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

one of Stephenson's claims to fame is the vapor barrier.  does the sleeping bag you found have a vapor barrier, and are you interested in that kind of sleeping experience?

the only Stephenson's product i have used is the vapor barrier socks.  they work as advertised and have held up very well.  i had to seam-seal them myself.  can't speak to the fortitude of their sleeping bag baffles.  if their literature is accurate, they use high-quality down, at least 820 fill power.  that is pretty good.  i would focus, though, on how much the bag actually lofts to figure out whether it's accurately rated.  i doubt Stephenson adheres to the EN rating standards.  

i used a vapor barrier in a sleeping bag once, on a 3 week winter trip.  they serve a certain purpose.  by keeping moisture out of the sleeping bag insulation, they help the insulation continue to loft.  long term in cold weather, normal body perspiration at night can clog and ultimately limit the effectiveness and loft of sleeping bag insulation.  but, sleeping inside an impermeable vapor barrier takes some time to get used to.  it's a little like sleeping inside a plastic garment bag.  eventually, you can get used to it, and in theory, your body perspires less when it's inside a vapor barrier.  the theory is sound, despite the crap Stephenson's tends to get as a result of their peculiar catalogue.  

i wouldn't choose a vapor barrier for anything other than winter use, though.
 Post Number: 7
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2012, 11:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I too don't understand their use of a VBL on the inner bag (which is rated to 25).  From what I have found a VBL is comfortable to use well below that. I did not break mine out until it was around 10-15 F, otherwise I felt clammy.

I think they were the first to use a down-filled pad though, so kudos there. Now if the quality of the pads was a bit better...

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2012, 12:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like the idea that it stops migration of moisture through the goose down.  But the non-breathability idea is something that will take getting used to.  Perhaps a merino wool base layer will help minimize the "clammy-ness"?
 Post Number: 9
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2012, 11:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(vigilguy @ Nov. 01 2012, 9:19 pm)
I like the idea that it stops migration of moisture through the goose down.  But the non-breathability idea is something that will take getting used to.  Perhaps a merino wool base layer will help minimize the "clammy-ness"?

That's what I would do. I use a merino wool top and fleece pants. Mind you, when I overheat, I notice moisture on the top of my pad, on top of my sleeping bag (which I deal with by using a bivy) as well as moisture that pushes up through (which is what the vapor barrier would deal with) and sits in the outer layer.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 10
blue_sage Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2012, 10:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The use of VBL designs has been around for what. 40 years plus now, and other than socks, really never gained real traction?
Doesn't it strike an odd note to have to spend more $$ to mitagate issues, like using merio wool base layers, to get an "advantage" with an iffy outcome?
I don't like being the old fogey here, but a really well constructed conventional bag with premium down fill and top end shell materials will get your there with less fuss and more flexiblilty.

--------------
"Speak out, though your voice may shake"
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2012, 8:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(blue_sage @ Nov. 02 2012, 10:33 pm)
The use of VBL designs has been around for what. 40 years plus now, and other than socks, really never gained real traction?
Doesn't it strike an odd note to have to spend more $$ to mitagate issues, like using merio wool base layers, to get an "advantage" with an iffy outcome?
I don't like being the old fogey here, but a really well constructed conventional bag with premium down fill and top end shell materials will get your there with less fuss and more flexiblilty.

They claim that you don't get clammy because the moment you start to overheat, you can vent the bag through the bottom, top, sides, etc.  Something you cannot do with a VBL sack.

I guess I'll see.
 Post Number: 12
dayhiker9 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2012, 8:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would think the wool would keep up the perspiration until it is soggy?

--------------
" before you make assertions about numbers, look at the numbers."   Krugman
 Post Number: 13
SPeacock Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 12:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A backpacker friend bought one of the bag/pad combinations and had nothing but grief with the 'pump' and a problem with getting it fixed.

Otherwise I've found only good experiences with the current staff.  Jack was actually a lot of fun to chat with over the years.  You just had to accept his view of the world. He didn't pull any punches - said he didn't have the time to mess with the niceties in life.

I've used their tents for years.  Good stuff!

--------------
Experience as well as wisdom, at times, is foolishly acquired.
To understand why details matter, you first need to notice them.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 1:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SPeacock @ Nov. 14 2012, 12:42 pm)
A backpacker friend bought one of the bag/pad combinations and had nothing but grief with the 'pump' and a problem with getting it fixed.

Otherwise I've found only good experiences with the current staff.  Jack was actually a lot of fun to chat with over the years.  You just had to accept his view of the world. He didn't pull any punches - said he didn't have the time to mess with the niceties in life.

I've used their tents for years.  Good stuff!

I am assuming you are referring to the pump sack.  Roger Caffin over at BPL was less than thrilled with it.

Fortunately the Camp-Tec MicroBurst has an adapter for the Stephenson DAM, so I won't have to use the pump sack. Been using the Micro burst for awhile, with my Neoair and older Exped down air mat and am satisfied with its performance.

William and Jane have been quite friendly and accommodating as I have called and asked questions.
13 replies since Nov. 01 2012, 12:18 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Stephenson Warmlite bags
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions