2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Looking for a good spot headlamp, For trailrunning< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Talus. Search for posts by this member.
Delsolation is my destination

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2012, 7:55 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I need a good headlamp for night trailrunning.  I need to be able to throw a spot far enough ahead to see roots, rocks etc.  at running speed.  A hybrid with flood and spots would probably be ideal.  Battery life is not really an issue.

--------------
“Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion.”
― Anatoli Boukreev
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2012, 7:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lupin Lighting Systems "Betty" - 2600 measured lumens

http://www.lupine.de/web/en/products/headlights/betty/xpro/
 Post Number: 3
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2012, 8:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The "Betty", from what I can gather on the site, is 540g!?! Isn't that, like, 18 ounces? (It appears to have a "battery pack", which I assume is most of the weight.)

I have no idea if this is "reasonable" or not, but 2600 lumens seems like a runway light to me. (I can only suppose that nogods is being just a wee bit sarcastic here...)

For me, something like the BD Spot or Storm would be sufficient for running. (Nothing special about BD - there are a lot of makes out there with lamps in this performance range)

BD Spot/Storm: Press the button, you got "spot". Press the button, it's off, then press the button again, and you got "flood"...and so on. It also has a double red LED light that you reach by pressing the same button for 6 seconds. Supposedly, it has a "flash mode" as well, but my take on that is that you have to be really lucky to get to it. Two quick presses of the button is supposed to reach this mode, but it seems to be more difficult than my old, tired fingers can manage, except by accident.
 Post Number: 4
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2012, 8:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I swear by the Coleman headlamps sold at Walmart for $20 or $25. I find a flashlight plus a headlamp---75 to 115 lumens each---works well for biking at about 10 mph, so I think one of these headlamps would be sufficient for running.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2012, 8:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't find the "Eveready specials" at WalMart and the hardware store to be strong enough for moving more than at a walking pace.

Also, it occurred to me that, based on my experience walking through rocky terrain a few months ago in the middle of the night, that it would almost be better to have some lighting system for running that was "off axis" in relation to your head/eyes. When your eyes are virtually inline with the lighting, you don't see shadows as well, and details are not all that obvious in many circumstances. Walking/climbing/scrambling in talus and moderate-sized rocks, I found that I often had to take the headlamp off and hold it out to one side to see subtle shapes - but that might just be me.
 Post Number: 6
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2012, 9:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Gabby @ Nov. 01 2012, 8:53 pm)
I don't find the "Eveready specials" at WalMart and the hardware store to be strong enough for moving more than at a walking pace.

Have you tried the Colemans I'm referring to? After a recent discussion here I tested my headlamp outside the other night and found that even on LOW it was more than ample for night hiking.It has three light levels. To my eye, amazingly bright. I find it hard to believe that the low setting is only 15 lumens, it's so bright.

I don't know how anyone could possibly outrun this light. Very good spot, spill, and throw. And cheap! 55 hours on low. I just changed the batteries after a year of use.

http://survivalpunk.com/coleman-max-aaa-headlamp/
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2012, 9:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Have you tried the Colemans I'm referring to?
No, I haven't. I guess I read right past the name, and assumed "Eveready". Sorry. I know what "assume" does, I just forget.

I find the lower lumen lights entirely adequate, since I don't, like my wife, suffer from problems with "night vision". But we both have the BD headlamps, mostly because she does have "night vision" problems. She's fallen from missteps in the dark a number of times, as recently as the last couple of weeks. Mine (my missteps) seem to be restricted to mud and those %&$%&% painted curbs that they're so fond of around here. Those curbs get slippery in the rain, and I find myself avoiding any painted ones while out running, even when it's dry.

I only noticed the "perspective blindness" issue (is that what it's called?) when I was attempting to take a shortcut to a camping spot that lay over a granite ridge that I attempted to traverse in the dark. (I arrived at the trailhead around 9:30 PM.) I don't know how important that would be to a runner on a fairly level surface, but cracks in the concrete walks, and sunken manhole covers, abound in my neck of the woods - all traps for the unwary, though I'm familiar with most of them around my neighborhood by now.

P.S.: Still don't know if nogods was joking, or if that "Betty" headlamp is really 18 oz...
 Post Number: 8
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2012, 9:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use this light for all my outdoor activities

I'm pretty sure it would meet you running needs.

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 9
Trinity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2012, 9:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I run with a Petzl Tikka xp, which serves my needs very well.  My wife runs with a Princeton Tec Byte, which is less light, but works very well for her.  It's also a lot less expensive.  She does a lot more night trailrunning than I do, and has done very well with this light.
 Post Number: 10
hoosierdaddy Search for posts by this member.
Trophy spouse

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2012, 11:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eggs @ Nov. 01 2012, 6:51 pm)
I use this light for all my outdoor activities

I'm pretty sure it would meet you running needs.

+1 on the H51.  Love mine!

--------------
God, I am going to regret this someday!
 Post Number: 11
Mechrock Search for posts by this member.
Mechrock

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2012, 11:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just got a H51w from Zebralight. Really high quality light. I like that the interface is easy to use and it only uses one AA battery.

--------------
My Gear list: (I'm Rocco)
https://docs.google.com/spreads....ZGJTakE
Notice I have multiple tabs at the bottom.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2012, 5:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Trinity @ Nov. 01 2012, 9:51 pm)
I run with a Petzl Tikka xp, which serves my needs very well.  My wife runs with a Princeton Tec Byte, which is less light, but works very well for her.  It's also a lot less expensive.  She does a lot more night trailrunning than I do, and has done very well with this light.

You ru on technical terrain?  Lots of rocks and roots to deal with here...

--------------
“Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion.”
― Anatoli Boukreev
 Post Number: 13
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2012, 7:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Trinity @ Nov. 01 2012, 9:51 pm)
I run with a Petzl Tikka xp, which serves my needs very well.

+1  

Great for night hiking.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2012, 8:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Talus. @ Nov. 02 2012, 5:22 pm)
You ru on technical terrain?  Lots of rocks and roots to deal with here...

Mostly not super technical, but I've definitely run in some pretty tough places.  Technical is all a matter of perspective, I suppose.  I run in the Texas Hill Country, which is fairly steep, hilly, and rocky, but probably a cakewalk compared to a lot of other parts of the county.
 Post Number: 15
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2012, 10:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I won't tell you what to use...

But I will recommend you run a flood light mounted to your chest (prefered) or shoulder along with a headlamp. It will help greatly with being able to see terrain and actually "read" it. A single light source doesn't help much with depth of field while hiking at night. I can only imagine what it would do to running. Also, turning your head to the side to observe something will not throw off your forward light (which will still be needed in your peripheral vision).

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 16
CharlesTheHammer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 03 2012, 12:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Talus. @ Nov. 01 2012, 7:55 pm)
I need a good headlamp for night trailrunning.  I need to be able to throw a spot far enough ahead to see roots, rocks etc.  at running speed.  A hybrid with flood and spots would probably be ideal.  Battery life is not really an issue.

I'd look into the Spark headlamps. Here's the Spark ST6-360CW. This has a fairly wide reflector and a Cree XP-G R5 LED, which is smaller than the XM-L, so when you combine smaller diameter LED with larger diameter reflector, you get a good thrower.

They also make many other headlamps with XM-L LED's for a more floody beam, and headlamps that have a good mix of the two.

These lights have much better, newer, more efficient LED's than just about all of the Princeton Tec and Petzl headlamps, so they dont require as many batteries and yet are much brighter and more efficient. They are tougher too....

Here's the ST6:
http://goinggear.com/flashli....mp.html

You can also get most of these models in neutral white or cool white tints. The cool white(CW) tints are typically a little brighter.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 03 2012, 12:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have switched from a dedicated headlamp to a headband that is designed so that you can install a 22-28mm LED flashlight into it and use that as your headlamp. I will be installing my new-ish Eagletac D25C clicky-Titanium flashlight into it. However, if you are running, this idea might not be the best, because with the headband-flashlight combo there will be 'some' tendency for the flashlight mounted into the loops to rock back and forth a little, and although its wont cause you to lose sight of the trail in front of you because the light doesnt yaw, it might be slightly annoying to feel it rolling around a little up there!

So, I'd go with the idea in my last post about the Spark headlamps.
 Post Number: 18
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 03 2012, 10:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I try to not run around in the dark. The idea of a headlamp and a headband with a small flashlight sounds like a good idea. Maybe even a headlamp and a lite in each hand. You can get led lites for a cpl. bucks now. If you want to try it, I have those headbands to use with the minimag lite and half a dozen small led flashlights you could borrow to see if you like it.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 03 2012, 10:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Nov. 02 2012, 10:12 pm)
I won't tell you what to use...

But I will recommend you run a flood light mounted to your chest (prefered) or shoulder along with a headlamp. It will help greatly with being able to see terrain and actually "read" it. A single light source doesn't help much with depth of field while hiking at night. I can only imagine what it would do to running. Also, turning your head to the side to observe something will not throw off your forward light (which will still be needed in your peripheral vision).

You may be right, but truth is I've never seen or heard of anyone using this approach for night trailrunning. Trailrunning is not the same as night hiking, it is much faster (duh) and much more focused.  I have been surprised at how little light I really need.  a wide floodlight doesn't really help that much (for me), because my concentration is so tightly focused on an area just a few steps ahead of me at any given time.  The Tikka xp is pretty versatile and easy to use, but I think any of the options being suggested would work well.
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 03 2012, 2:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How much brightness do you want/need out of a headlamp? I have quite a few LED flashlights and 2 headlamps, and although its certainly cool to have lights that are really bright on high or 'turbo', the fact is I rarely ever actually need 200-300-600-1000-2700 lumens for most tasks......

I have a few little single AAA LED flashlights that I some times carry as a pocket light. I have 3 different models, and they all have highs between 60-100 lumens, but one opf these models has a 3 lumen low. Granted 3 lumens doesnt seem like much brightness, but I can walk around outside at night with it set at 3L, and see the ground below and in front of me just fine!

3 lumens isnt going to be good enough for trail running at night, but I also occasionally carry one of a few other LED lights, and I've found that 20-50L is good enough for running at night. In fact its more than enough. It also depends on the beam characteristics, because a really wide, floody beam will tend to dilute that 20-50L by spreading it out over a wide beam pattern.

But its best to use as little light as is necessary to be able to see your way around, because when you turn the brightness way up, you not only dramatically reduce battery life, you also temporarily reduce your night vision because your pupils have closed to compensate for the additional light, but when you turn that light off, your pupils have to re-adjust and in the mean time your night vision is shot.
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 03 2012, 3:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll have to try with the BD that I have now and see what is lacking.  I've seen folks use a light around their belly for that extra definition/angle.  I've also seen people use a headlamp and a handheld flashlight.  I think some sort of flood and spot combo is what I'll need.

--------------
― Anatoli Boukreev
 Post Number: 22
Adirondackiteer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2012, 5:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Mechrock @ Nov. 02 2012, 11:54 am)
I just got a H51w from Zebralight. Really high quality light. I like that the interface is easy to use and it only uses one AA battery.

I love my H51w and use it for just about everything. Its always in my pocket as an every day carry (try to do that with most 'headlamps').

I run with it a lot but mainly on the roads. Usually just use the medium modes on the roads. On the trail I do appreciate the high modes but realize when your using 100-200 lumens out of a single AA that the runtime is pretty short so have a couple spare AA's in your pocket if your going more than just a few miles. I also run using the Nite-Ize headband, its a bit more bounce resistant.

--------------
???   Shoes optional   :cool:
21 replies since Nov. 01 2012, 7:55 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Looking for a good spot headlamp
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions