2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: MSR Whisperlite International question< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
crgowo Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2012, 10:15 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ive been looking at remote canister stoves to use on family trips and to try out in winter and thought it might be a good idea to clean my whisperlite int. that I got off ebay 2 year ago.  Ive also only used it a handful of times in winter.  Anyhow one thing Ive always hated was the fuel in the line that drains out after turning the stove off and unplugging the hose from the pump.  Ive always like the way you could flip the optimus and primus bottles and have the air pressure push the rest of the few out and equalizes the pressure in the bottle.  

Well when cleaning my stove I was using the tool to pull the cable in and out of the hose and tried to twist the connector that plugs into the pump just for the hell of it but was quite surprised that it moved.  It actually spins with not a whole lot of force.  I dont think Ive ever noticed that before or even tried since at least I though MSR stoves werent capable of it.  Since it does spin and I dont think its supposed to should I worry about it popping off.  I believe its an older connector type with the longer wire that wraps around and snaps into the groove in the pump.  Below are some pics.

Pics were taken with my phone so I apologize for the quality.    Anyhow since it does spin should I not use it?

--------------
Cesar
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 8:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That sounds wrong. I'll check tonight.
 Post Number: 3
Equipaje Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 2:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was cleaning and prepping my Whisperlite for this weekend's trip and I broke off a clip on the fuel pump.  It was my fault, so I am willing to pay for a replacement, but I found the Cascade website to be lacking for assistance in how to find a replacement for damaged parts.  Hopefully you'll have better luck!

Fortunately, my friend has a white gas stove, so I'll only have to go through one cold night with a canister stove (I'm hiking in a day before he is).  I hate having to warm up the canisters on my stomach!!!!
 Post Number: 4
zipposdad Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 8:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Equipaje,  I have always had great customer service, I have emailed them and gotten quick response

--------------
Teach your babies to camp  :D
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 12:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Nov. 05 2012, 8:04 am)
That sounds wrong. I'll check tonight.

Mine doesn't spin.  I didn't want to see how much force was necessary for that to change.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 2:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks.  Ill send them an email and see if I could replace the hose and generator  tube since they no longer make this model.

Id hate to have it pop off during use.

--------------
Cesar
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 4:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I took a peek at a new one today on my way into work.  The pump is different from mine (1995 model) in many small ways.

By the way, I've done all my cooking on a Whisperlite since last Monday.  I wish I could tame the heat better, but other than that it's been very handy. I once thought about getting rid of it, but I don't think I could part with it now.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 4:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Do you know if you can rotate the bottle on the new ones so it will push out any fuel in the line and equalize the bottle?  I have no REI or decent outfitter store near me.

--------------
Cesar
 Post Number: 9
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 5:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

MSR says to release the pressure by standing the bottle upright and carefully loosening the threads.

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 6:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(crgowo @ Nov. 06 2012, 4:22 pm)
Do you know if you can rotate the bottle on the new ones so it will push out any fuel in the line and equalize the bottle?

The position of the pump relative to the fuel line on the current model is totally locked in place.

Ray's advice matches what I do (at arm's length with my face turned away).  I also let the fuel burn off completely after shutting the valve, so I haven't noticed any accumulation in the fuel line.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 7:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Some fuel drains out of the fuel line when I disconnect it from thr pump which i know isnt great foe the wilderness.  Thats mainly what i was trying to prevent.

--------------
Cesar
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 07 2012, 1:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

thought Id share what MSR said

"That piece is designed to move so that if you hook up the pump and fuel bottle and find that the bottle isn’t level with the ground, you can then twist the end so that the bottle will be level.  You don’t want to move it all the time, because it will break in a bit and become looser.  You’ll generally only need to twist it one time (during first use) and never need to do it again.  If you do twist it, don’t worry, it’s not going to pop off on you, but know that the more times it is twisted, the looser it will get."

--------------
Cesar
 Post Number: 13
ppereira007 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 1:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(crgowo @ Nov. 06 2012, 4:22 pm)
Do you know if you can rotate the bottle on the new ones so it will push out any fuel in the line and equalize the bottle?  I have no REI or decent outfitter store near me.

Yes, on the newer model you can rotate the bottle to let the fuel burn out.
 Post Number: 14
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 1:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've always done that going back to the XG days. I simply invert the stove which puts the fuel pickup "up" into the airspace of the bottle so as the pressure is relieved the fuel in the line is forced out and burned. It was easier to do with the rigid XG fuel tube. With the Dragonfly I take the burner assembly off and just invert (still horizontally, just with the fuel pickup "up" in the bottle) the fuel bottle to vent it.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 4:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(crgowo @ Nov. 07 2012, 1:53 pm)
thought Id share what MSR said

"That piece is designed to move so that if you hook up the pump and fuel bottle and find that the bottle isn’t level with the ground, you can then twist the end so that the bottle will be level.  You don’t want to move it all the time, because it will break in a bit and become looser.  You’ll generally only need to twist it one time (during first use) and never need to do it again.  If you do twist it, don’t worry, it’s not going to pop off on you, but know that the more times it is twisted, the looser it will get."

I cleaned my Whisperlite today and found that even on the old one, the block does rotate if with firm but gentle pressure.
 Post Number: 16
HikingJim Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 28 2013, 8:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(crgowo @ Nov. 04 2012, 7:15 pm)
Ive been looking at remote canister stoves to use on family trips and to try out in winter and thought it might be a good idea to clean my whisperlite int. that I got off ebay 2 year ago.  Ive also only used it a handful of times in winter.  Anyhow one thing Ive always hated was the fuel in the line that drains out after turning the stove off and unplugging the hose from the pump.  Ive always like the way you could flip the optimus and primus bottles and have the air pressure push the rest of the few out and equalizes the pressure in the bottle.quality.    Anyhow since it does spin should I not use it?

I've been doing the Primus/Optimus style "flip stop" for some time.  I haven't noticed the aluminum block at the end of the fuel line getting any looser.  YMMV.

HJ

--------------
Adventures In Stoving
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
15 replies since Nov. 04 2012, 10:15 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply MSR Whisperlite International question
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions