2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: alcohol stoves in the winter< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 9:40 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Are they hard to light. I read pros and cons

I plan to take one this weekend to a cold place. Probably in the 10-20F range in the early morning

I use denatured alcohol from Home Depot

Will a plain old wooden match work to light it? Should I take some q-tips with some Vaseline on the ends for easier lighting of the cold stove.

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 10:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have not had any significant issue getting my Whitebox stove to light in temps down to 0. I do nothing special in regards to my fuel storage.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 3
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 11:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OK good to hear. Do you use Heet or denatured alcohol

I'm using the Evernew Ti kit and stove for the first time in cold weather. If all goes well. I may have some white gas stoves to sell when I get home

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 4
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 11:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use S.L.X. Denatured alcohol. I've tried Yellow Heet a few times but for some reason, it just seems to soot more for me so I switched back to the SLX stuff. It works great for me (although I'm always on the hunt to tweak things to make them better). For me at this point, I just can't beat the Whitebox/SLX combo. I will be adding a compact woodstove this next spring to see if it enhances my experience.

--------------
 Post Number: 5
TrailTromper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 11:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have used mine down into the upper teens F without any real difficulty.  I typically light it with a flint and steel.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 6
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 11:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews....strella

I have been below 0 F with mine. The main thing is to keep the fuel as warm as you can. I put it in my inside coat pocket once I make camp.

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 7
hoosierdaddy Search for posts by this member.
Trophy spouse

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 11:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Like Tig said, it usually isnt a problem to light.  I've found that the "problem" is that you must keep it insulated from whatever cold surface it's sitting on.  Mine always went out after a minute or so unless I had it sitting on top of something to act as in insulator. Inverted snowshoes work well as long as you're careful.

--------------
God, I am going to regret this someday!
 Post Number: 8
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 12:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I haven't noticed anything into the 20s, but lighting an alcohol takes me a bit longer in the teens.  It's no problem at all with a Bic lighter, where you have enough of a blowtorch to warm the surface a bit.  Lighting with just one match is harder when it's that cold.
 Post Number: 9
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 3:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use a bit of cotton ball impregnated with petroleum jelly (Vaseline)
Not more than about 1/4 of a ball.
That lights up immediately with a Bic and in turn it warms up the fuel and it will light.
Bottom insulation is important because most alcohol stove need to have the burner hot to be efficient.
 Post Number: 10
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 7:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Trangia burners areal easy to light in the cold.  You light the open fuel reservoir which heat the stove and lights the jets.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 11
scouthiker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 10:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I prefer Heet, I find it burns cleaner so my pot stays cleaner.
 Post Number: 12
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 11:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(scouthiker @ Nov. 05 2012, 7:09 pm)

I'm curious. What kind of stove model are you using? I had the exact opposite experience and am trying to pinpoint why. Thanks.

--------------
 Post Number: 13
Dennis Waite Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 6:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

FYI, dog mushers in the Yukon Quest and the Iditarod, with temps down to -40f and lower, use large alcohol cookers fueled with Heet. Because of the larger surface area of the burner (maybe 8"- 12" in diameter) they do use something like a lit piece of paper to light the stove. A single match is not only too short to fit through the outer wind shield (a 5 gallon metal bucket) to reach the burner, it won't burn long enough the begin the vaporization process to light the fuel. Otherwise, the simplicity of the cooker is the great advantage. In the old days they used the large Coleman style box stoves with far too much fiddling and fussing to get them going.

--------------
Dennis Waite
 Post Number: 14
Dennis Waite Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 6:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here's a link to a typical dog mushing cooker, just for fun.

Alcohol Cooker

--------------
Dennis Waite
 Post Number: 15
Islandized Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 8:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use a Trangia year-round. Over the years, I have twice put hairline cracks in the cup by lighting it cold (replacement cost under $15, so whatever, and the stove still works, just isn't as easily extinguished and can't be capped with fuel in it). By 'cold' I mean near or below freezing. So now in those conditions I keep the burner as well as the fuel in my sleeping bag, or else spend a few minutes warming it with body heat in the morning (but that means waiting longer for coffee...). I've used the preheater/priming winter set-up (just a fiberglass pad you soak and light under the stove) but found it could still shock the stove into cracking. But you do need the fuel warm, it's the fumes and not the liquid that ignites.
 Post Number: 16
scouthiker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 07 2012, 9:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Nov. 05 2012, 11:18 pm)

I'm curious. What kind of stove model are you using? I had the exact opposite experience and am trying to pinpoint why. Thanks.

I use a simple cat food can stove. :)
 Post Number: 17
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 07 2012, 10:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(scouthiker @ Nov. 07 2012, 6:19 am)

(Tigger @ Nov. 05 2012, 11:18 pm)

I use a simple cat food can stove. :)

Cool. I'll try an experiment so I can compare the two. Those are two completely different models so that should help me to understand why.

--------------
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 07 2012, 10:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have found from timed/measured tests that HEET will produce more BTU's and boil faster, but that Ethanol is more efficient, at least with the 12-10 Pepsi can stoves I have.

No soot from either that I have ever seen.

I have never used paint thinner/mineral spirits.

--------------
 Post Number: 19
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 07 2012, 10:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I saw MEK on the shelf and was tempted to buy a quart to test. But I think it would evaporate too fast to be effective as a stove fuel

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 07 2012, 4:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Eggs I think the fumes from that would be pretty bad, even outside.

I use Everclear for all my stoves. After experimenting with the HEET I decided it is worth it.

--------------
 Post Number: 21
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 07 2012, 4:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(rayestrella @ Nov. 07 2012, 1:02 pm)

I use Everclear for all my stoves. After experimenting with the HEET I decided it is worth it.

I would end up eating all my food cold for some reason...

--------------
 Post Number: 22
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 07 2012, 9:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Nov. 07 2012, 4:23 pm)

(rayestrella @ Nov. 07 2012, 1:02 pm)

I would end up eating all my food cold for some reason...

HAAAAAAA...me too. Cant buy everclear here in NY--oh well.

--------------
Dirtbag_hiker @ instagram

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 07 2012, 10:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I once did a "group buy" for some BPL'ers. (Think Ray refilling water bottles.) It does make it a bit spendy with shipping but if you ever need some...

You know where to find my email.

--------------
 Post Number: 24
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 12:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I used to use Everclear (I appreciate dual purpose gear) but can't find it here now so I use SLX.

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 12:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

SLX mixes with orange joose okie, bud id makz id hard tu see

--------------
 Post Number: 26
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 12:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Everclear is alzo hrd to uz at timz but mixz well with anythng.
Cheerz!

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
 Post Number: 27
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 5:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

This stove worked great for me. I used a fire steel to light it  each time with no issues at all. Not all that cold 22F on Saturday morning.

I get about 15 minutes of burn time with 3oz of fuel which is plenty long enough to cook a Ramon noodle for breakfast

I need to sell some stoves.

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
26 replies since Nov. 05 2012, 9:40 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply alcohol stoves in the winter
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions