2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Tents for my scouts, cheap and top quality< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 5:57 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

All,

I am looking for ideas for tents for my boy scouts.  I need a tent more conducive to colder weather here in Maine.  

What we have now is coleman junk.  1 season tents at best.  

I want to take the kids out in the dead of winter. Not Bpacking, car camping.  I have looked till I am stir crazy.  

We have a limited budget, of course.

They are really hard on gear so this is a tough find.  

Must handle wind and rain and some snow.  
They have never been in a good dump of snow.  

3 1/2 season, and @ a 3 person tent.  Which means 8x10.  Don't want too many boys in the same tent.  Can get ugly, quickly.

Please give me your ideas.  I'm all ears.  

Thanks, John

--------------
Nature bats last!

Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 6:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Doesn't the much maligned Alps have a scouting program?  And Eureka?

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 3
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 6:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Eureka "Timberline" series have been a standby for scouts in our area for years.  Really, they are a pretty good value for what you get.  Used a few of them in my time with no complaints.   Campmor usually has a pretty good selection and price.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 4
retired reddog Search for posts by this member.
"I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 6:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Eureka would be my thought for a decent quality that won't break the bank.

--------------
Good night Chesty, where ever you are!-(It's a Marine thing.)

“The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle!”
General John Pershing, United States Army
 Post Number: 5
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 6:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Can I send you a tent. I have a Black Diamond Vista tent. You pay to get it to you, probably less than $20 bucks, and I think we have a deal. You can check the specs online

I've had it about 5 years it was my first tent and have moved well down the weight scale since I purchased this. No hole or rips in good shape.

Every time I see a scout troop out I feel so bad for them and the gear they seem to end up with .

Pm me

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 6:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eggs @ Nov. 05 2012, 6:29 pm)
Can I send you a tent. I have a Black Diamond Vista tent. You pay to get it to you, probably less than $20 bucks, and I think we have a deal. You can check the specs online

I've had it about 5 years it was my first tent and have moved well down the weight scale since I purchased this. No hole or rips in good shape.

Every time I see a scout troop out I feel so bad for them and the gear they seem to end up with .

Pm me

Eating dinner. hang on a bit and I will PM you.  Thanks

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 7
ImmortalBen Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 6:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Both Alps and Eureka entered my mind.

--------------
Don't protect yourself to death.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 6:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ImmortalBen @ Nov. 05 2012, 6:37 pm)

Who are Alps?  Alps mountaineering?  I have looked at them too.  And of course The T2's and T4's are the most popular for scouts, but not in my budget.  I have inherited this troop and have my work cut out for me.  The most apathetic parents ever.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 9
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 7:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Nov. 05 2012, 6:15 pm)
Eureka "Timberline" series have been a standby for scouts in our area for years.  Really, they are a pretty good value for what you get.  Used a few of them in my time with no complaints.   Campmor usually has a pretty good selection and price.

+1 on the Eureka Timberline tents. I got our Scout Troops tents thru Campmor. I went with the 4 man model as the boys in my troop were fairly large and put two boys in each tent.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 7:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(QCHIKER @ Nov. 05 2012, 7:03 pm)

(hikerjer @ Nov. 05 2012, 6:15 pm)

+1 on the Eureka Timberline tents. I got our Scout Troops tents thru Campmor. I went with the 4 man model as the boys in my troop were fairly large and put two boys in each tent.

Just don't have the funds.  I would like the xt for winter too.  Ugh.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 7:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bad knees @ Nov. 05 2012, 6:47 pm)

Who are Alps?  Alps mountaineering?  I have looked at them too.  And of course The T2's and T4's are the most popular for scouts, but not in my budget.  I have inherited this troop and have my work cut out for me.  The most apathetic parents ever.

You're gonna have to work on your beggin-fu.

First, contact Eureka directly.  Explain yourself and ask them what's the best deal they can give you.  Beg.

Then, plan some kind of fundraiser.  An auction, a raffle, a car wash.  Hire out to rake leaves in troup.

Then, start begging locally.  Lot's of corporates still have budget for charity.  You'll have your goal in the deal from Eureka and people like knowing they only have to go so far.  They will also like seeing you putting sweat equity into it.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 12
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 7:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OK, what's your budget?  Give us a ballpark figure of the price range you're looking for.

Also, check Hilton's Tent City.  It's a real brick-and-mortar store in Boston and they also have a website.  They've always carried a lot of mid-range tents, like Eureka and Sierra Designs.  Check the 'coupons' page and the 'bargain basement'.  I also know they will do special pricing for Scouts.

Good luck!

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 7:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Nov. 05 2012, 7:28 pm)

(bad knees @ Nov. 05 2012, 6:47 pm)

You're gonna have to work on your beggin-fu.

First, contact Eureka directly.  Explain yourself and ask them what's the best deal they can give you.  Beg.

Then, plan some kind of fundraiser.  An auction, a raffle, a car wash.  Hire out to rake leaves in troup.

Then, start begging locally.  Lot's of corporates still have budget for charity.  You'll have your goal in the deal from Eureka and people like knowing they only have to go so far.  They will also like seeing you putting sweat equity into it.

Yea, I am working on a fundraiser.  Sweat?  The fall camporee was 8 days of work for a weekend for me.  busting my nuts for   the boys.  The parents are the biggest problem.  They just don't care.  I had the boys out this past weekend  on the beach in 40 knot winds and snow, sleet, and rain.  In pathetic tents.  I kept them dry and warm.  And they loved it and want to do it in the snow.  I just can't  do it and be a responsable leader at the same time.  I will contact Eureka, though.  Thanks.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 14
ImmortalBen Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 8:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, I meant Alps Mountaineering. I think its a great idea to seek out a sponsor or two for your troupe.

This may or may not be of any help, but the Mormon church is known to be very favorable towards the Boy Scouts.

--------------
Don't protect yourself to death.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 8:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ImmortalBen @ Nov. 05 2012, 8:04 pm)
Yeah, I meant Alps Mountaineering. I think its a great idea to seek out a sponsor or two for your troupe.

This may or may not be of any help, but the Mormon church is known to be very favorable towards the Boy Scouts.

Does that mean I have to vote for MITT?  Kidding of course.  How the heck would I tap into that?  I do understand they are are a charitable group.  HMM?  Got me thinking.  I am funding a lot of this troop out of my  own pocket, so I will look into any possibility.  Thanks

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 16
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 8:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You might look into a fund raising web service.

I don't know much about the mechanics of this site but I know that the group my wife goes to Guatemala with each year to do volunteer work uses it to raise money for their effort

Might be an interesting project for the boys to take on

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 8:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eggs @ Nov. 05 2012, 8:36 pm)

I don't know much about the mechanics of this site but I know that the group my wife goes to Guatemala with each year to do volunteer work uses it to raise money for their effort

Thanks eggs.  Gotta love the web. And big thanks for the offer.  Check to come. And thanks to  all.  An hour a week they say for this job.  Yea sure.  :D

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 9:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just read this: http://www.scouting.org/About/FactSheets/Funding.aspx

Got a local United Way?

--------------
 Post Number: 19
solowalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 9:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

cabelas has programs that can help the scouts also.
 Post Number: 20
IAJeff Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 9:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bad knees @ Nov. 05 2012, 8:52 pm)

(eggs @ Nov. 05 2012, 8:36 pm)

Thanks eggs.  Gotta love the web. And big thanks for the offer.  Check to come. And thanks to  all.  An hour a week they say for this job.  Yea sure.  :D

You fell for the one hour a week line?

As others have said, Eureka or Alps. I know the Eureka tents are a bit spendy, but they are tough. We still have a couple from a defunct troop.  I also have seen a Cabelas tent used in the winter. It was a Cabela's XPG™ Expedition 4-Season Tent. Seemed like a solid tent. Another place maybe to check out is a local military unit. We got some from them from the 50's that weren't even opened. That is what we use in the winter.
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 9:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And since you're local:

http://www.llbean.com/custome....ng.html

--------------
 Post Number: 22
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 9:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Does your council sell popcorn like a lot of the other councils do? As you get a pretty good return from that. that is how we made our money to buy tents. We also did a pancke breakfast at our sponsor church.  Plus we did a chili supper too.
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 9:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think we've loaded his plate with quite enough to do.  At an hour a day, he should be busy for the next 300 years.

--------------
 Post Number: 24
scouthiker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 10:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Our troop has been using Eureka Tetragon 4-man tents for years.  They work out great for sleeping 3 boys with gear in the tent with them.  They are a little heavy for backpacking but splitting up the tent between 3 boys makes them easier to carry.

I have seen a lot of other troops using the Timberline tents successfully.  The Timberline tents are one of the most popular scout tents.

You'll get a great deal from Campmor, but make certain that you register with their instutional sales first.
 Post Number: 25
skinewmexico Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 10:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Our Alps tents have been great. And they have such a great deal for scouts. Sell popcorn. Not sure what to do about parents; our parents just want us to give them free babysitting too. You should ask your chartered organization for some help too. Don't count on the Mormons, a BSA troop is their required youth activity now, so they have their own.

--------------
Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe. - Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 26
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 10:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My troop used the Alps Zephyr 3 tents, but we don't have the snow etc you have.
Scout Direct is Alps discount site.

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 27
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 11:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Alps has two tents that might work for you.

The first is the Jagged Peak http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/alps....ed-peak
This is described as a 4-season tent because there are zippered fabric panels that close off all of the doors and windows and the poles are heavier.

The second is the Extreme 3. A very similar tent but notice the double poles across the top for more strength and the more slanted ends, I assume to shed wind. Again the door has zippered fabric panels, but I'm not sure about the windows. I think the windows could easily be covered.

The Extreme 3 is available here for just $120, which is dirt cheap for the quality: http://www.meijer.com/s/alps-extreme-3-person-tent/_/R-224164

I just received a cousin of these two tents today, the Hybrid CE 3. http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/alps....brid-ce It's the same as the Jagged Peak except no fabric panels on the end windows and lighter poles. So far I've only set up the canopy in the house. I will set it up outdoors with the fly tomorrow.

My first impressions: Very roomy. One of the tallest 3Ps you can buy at 50". Weight and packed size are very respectable for car camping and would even work for backpacking carried by 3 kids. The canopy must be staked due to strong bowing of the poles. The vestibules are huge, which is a disadvantage for me but maybe an advantage for you.

The Boy Scout division of Alps is called Scout Direct: http://www.scoutdirect.com/scout/sales_items The discount for Scouts is 45% but to be honest, you can find ALPS tents for even cheaper than that with some hunting, as with the above example of the Extreme 3, which is more than half off MSRP.

Any of those appeal to you?
 Post Number: 28
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 11:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

By the way, where in Maine do you go "car camping in the dead of winter"? I'd like to do that myself, always looking for new places to go.
 Post Number: 29
justwalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 12:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(QCHIKER @ Nov. 05 2012, 9:39 pm)
Does your council sell popcorn like a lot of the other councils do?

Alps, Kelty, Eureka.  Start from there.

I had no idea that scouts were selling popcorn until I came across a fat kid and his dad selling some outside of a K-Mart a few weeks ago.  I'm not a popcorn eater but I figured I'd buy some just to help them out.  Then the fat kid quoted me gourmet popcorn prices (I thought they were selling the popped stuff by the bag).  I politely declined but handed the fat kid $3.00 toward the fundraising cause.  As I walked away I heard him bitch to his Dad about the measly $3.00.  His Dad knew I was within hearing range and told the kid to toss me a thank you.  It was a pretty lame thank you.

Mow some lawns; shovel some snow.  Selling corn seeds in front of K-Mart like some girls scout is beneath what I recall of my scouting days.

--------------
If a day in the mountains is better than a week at work, why aren't I working in the mountains?
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 6:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TrailTramper @ Nov. 05 2012, 11:24 pm)
By the way, where in Maine do you go "car camping in the dead of winter"? I'd like to do that myself, always looking for new places to go.

We just camped at Fort Foster.  but they don't plow it in the winter so it is out.  Fort Mccleary is where we are planning.  It's on the ocean.

--------------
Nature bats last!

30 replies since Nov. 05 2012, 5:57 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Tents for my scouts
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions