2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Smart Wool Socks, care tips?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
TWinAlbany Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 5:21 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just received some smart wool socks in medium weight from Sierra Trading and was wondering what is the best way to care for them? I am hoping to get some long use out of them so, what have you all found that works best?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 5:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just make sure to never dry them. I wash them like normal but hang them to dry.

If you do put them in the dryer watch out for any pants or shorts with Velcro pocket closures. They do a number on good merino wool.

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 3
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 5:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just wash mine normally. The only time I have a problem...is when I lose one.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 6:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ok, normal wash and dry with no velcro. I think I'll just hang mine to dry as well. No sense in taking any chances as these kind of sock aren't cheap! I do like the feel of them so far.
 Post Number: 5
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 6:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like near the smart wool outlet store so I pick up a couple of pair every few months and don't do anything special to keep them.....I don't have to....

I wear wool socks, of some type, most every day.

The last couple of trips the outlet store has had heavy Carhartt socks for two bucks a pair and the medium weights for a buck a pair.

The Carhartt is a merino wool blend and danged if I don't like them better than the smart wool socks.

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 6
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 6:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I turn mine inside out before washing and drying.  Mine have worn really well but anytime I see a good deal on the ones I like, I snap them up.

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
 Post Number: 7
DukeFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 7:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nothing special. Wash, dry and wear. Over 200 washes and still look like new.
 Post Number: 8
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 9:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Machine wash inside out, hang dry.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 9
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 07 2012, 1:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Leave 'em in the drawer.  They never wear out.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 10
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 07 2012, 2:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Nov. 07 2012, 1:38 am)
Leave 'em in the drawer.  They never wear out.

Genius!!!

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
 Post Number: 11
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 07 2012, 5:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(DukeFan @ Nov. 06 2012, 7:16 pm)
Nothing special. Wash, dry and wear. Over 200 washes and still look like new.

+1 same for the shirts for that matter

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 07 2012, 12:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks folks. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some special technique to making them last. Looks like I'm in for some great walking time!
 Post Number: 13
CharlesTheHammer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 07 2012, 12:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TWinAlbany @ Nov. 06 2012, 5:21 pm)
Just received some smart wool socks in medium weight from Sierra Trading and was wondering what is the best way to care for them? I am hoping to get some long use out of them so, what have you all found that works best?

I just received 4 pair of Smartwool, Browning, and Point6 merino wool socks from Sierra trading post as well about 2-3 weeks ago, and I wore all of them except the Point6 pair because they are "allegedly" a thick, heavy pair(but there isnt much difference really).

So I had to wash them last week, so I washed them, then tumble dried them on low/permanent press as the instructions on 1 pair said was fine, but lets just say the 2 pairs of Browning wool socks didnt seem to tolerate it as well as I wouldve liked. It seems that some of the material came loose and got kinda spread out on the outside of the socks.

I wish I had been able to read the post that rayestrella left before I washed and dried them! I'll hang them up to dry next time.

I also just bought 4 more pairs of "People Socks" off amazon.com for $25, and they are really soft and seem really nice(better than the Brownings), but now that I go back to amazon, they are either all sold out or few pairs remaining in 1 color, so I dont know if they will be back in stock later or not, but I wanted to buy more of them!
 Post Number: 14
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 4:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

you're supposed to wash em??

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 8:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

:D
 Post Number: 16
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 9:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wcolucci @ Nov. 08 2012, 3:43 pm)
you're supposed to wash em??

Now there is a long-term odor test in action.

I like it!

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
15 replies since Nov. 06 2012, 5:21 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Smart Wool Socks
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions