2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Gear Orgy in the woods< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 8:16 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well that title should get some looks huh?

Had a nice three day trip last weekend, short hike into Chub Pond in the Adirondacks.  Some snow, lows of 18 at night but just a wonderfully pretty setting.

As we pulled into the trail head we saw a couple of single hikers heading in and followed a good twenty minutes after.

There are two lean to's at Chub, one is described as a palace built by private individual as one of the last private lean to's allowed in the park.

We figured they would be heading to that one so we veered off to the one on the water.  Of course they were at the lean to on the water when we arrived.  nice enough guys, we asked if they would mind if we set up nearby.

Here is where it got fun.  Peter and I have been refining our gear for years and are pretty comfortable w/what we have...but of course are ALWAYS looking.  Peter has a Clark hammock, my go to tent is a SD Vaporlight 2.

We look around and whoa...in the flesh a BA Seedhouse SL 2 and Henry Shires Cloudburst 2.....neat!!  Seen them on line but never in person.  I asked if I could inspect, they said yup, if they could check out ours.  Inside the BA was a MH 0 degree Lamina and the gent w/the Couldburst had a nice Feathered Friends.....pretty impressive stuff...they really liked my Marmot Helium and were knocked over by the hammock.  We debated the merits of the front entry tents..(After this trip I'm leaning back to my Hubba Hubba if I expect snow or rain as it doesn't allow slush in the tent when you open the fly door like the SD does).  Absolutely loved the Cloudburst, (with mesh)..and of course one day I'm taking the hammock plunge

It gets better...they were not traveling together it turns out so they had each taken a stove.  One had the SnowPeak titanium litemax and the other had a  white box....how fun was this???....all worked well in high teen low 20 degree temps.  (I had just returned by Optimus Crux and was using an older Optimus canister stove).

All kinds of eating gear, I use a GSI plastic insulated mug, w/a 1 litre titanium pot from backcountry  Peter swears by his Oriska, one guy had a titanium mug that doubled as his pot and the other had a small aluminum old home style pot he rigged for backpacking.

Water purification ran from my steripen, a Kathidyn pump, Peter's 4 ltr gravity feed filter and Acqua tabs

Each lean to has a fire ring and fires are permitted in the ADKs....I typically do not want or need a fire, Peter cannot live w/out one...There was a sven saw, Peter's home made saw and an incredibly lightweigh 3/4 handled ax...yup, (Peter bought one yesterday).

Backpacks:  Mine an Osprey Aether 70, (older model), Peter has a Gregory (big, forgot name), one guy had a new model Osprey Aether 80 and the kicker of the weekend was the Arc'Teryx Bora that the owner proudly pointed out was made in Canada...I could sleep on that hip belt!!

Clothing styles were somewhat similar....lots of MH, OR Marmot and as one was also an avid deer hunter, some incredible gear from Cabelas.  I really looked that stuff over...dry bags to over boots...nice stuff that Cabelas.  There was an early model First Ascent down sweater proudly losing feathers at an alarming rate...told him to take it back, early models were like that and EB is good about the returns.  Boots:  LL Bean Crestas, (Peter has had them for 15 years running), Asolo FSN 95...(questionable in that weather), I had my Asolo Powermatics and the hunter had his Rocky's...not a bad boot either IMO.

I gotta tell you, there was more selection of well thought out gear there than I would ever see in the limited options we have here for gear stores, (EMS).  It was a hoot to check out all this stuff in real time use, the conversations about the merits or faults of each of our gear and how we got there was fun and helped pass a cold night....we shared a few types of Bourbon...(love that Bullit), and I always bring too many cigars..so there was well enough to share along w/good food and munchies.

The weather was great, we woke up to fresh snow covering the pines both mornings...steam coming off the lake....and our coffee....did a 4-5 hour day hike and were actually giddy at one point as every turn just looked prettier than the last.

Turned the guys on to this forum as I told them of the wealth of info I had received over the years...they vowed to check it out....sort of Evangelical huh?

We kind of chuckled as we are all married and all felt a bit better heading home knowing that we gear w##res are not alone!

Just thought I'd share

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
SmokeyBear Search for posts by this member.
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 8:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sweet experience! I love nerding out over gear - better still when actually in the backcountry!

And yes, that title DID grab my attention...
 Post Number: 3
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 11:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Last weekend as I was driving to a boat launch site on a dirt road a guy lept in front of my car and screamed "STOP!!!" I came to a screeching halt thinking I had run over a kid or something. Turned out he just wanted to inspect my kayak. We had a long talk about materials, hull designs, etc etc. I constantly stop people to talk about their bikes, tents, kayaks, etc. Great fun.
 Post Number: 4
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 3:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

fun fun fun.

--------------
www.mybackpacking.blog.com

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 5
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 1:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I can't believe you did all that typing and didn't post one picture.  ;)

I like experiences like that a lot, it's fun to be with like-minded people that really enjoy more than just the outdoor but also the gear we so happily grab up when we can.

Wish I'd have been there, in the Daks and at that site.  Sounds awesome.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
 Post Number: 6
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 2:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sweetness....

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7
swampsis Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 3:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My name is Sheri, and I'm a gearholic with a camping problem  ;-)

Great stuff, great title --- i'm a little jealous
 Post Number: 8
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 7:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I guess I should have taken pix of the stuff....We all had smartphones w/our Backcountry  navigator loaded...and camera,...I'll post some pretty shots of the area at least.

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 9
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 9:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not a great shot, since most of the gear isn't visible, but...I understand.
8 replies since Nov. 08 2012, 8:16 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Gear Orgy in the woods
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions