2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 2 of 2<<12

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Warm sleeping pad, what is the warmest?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 31
Ricksterz Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 12:42 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have used both the Big Agnes Insulated Air Core pad (IAC) and the Exped Downmat 9 Pump Deluxe pad (Downmat).

Subjectively, there is no question the Downmat feels significantly warmer for me than the IAC. I felt chilly using the IAC at temperatures below 30F. I was comfortable using the Downmat at 18F. I used a Montbell #1 down bag rated for 15F with the Downmat that time. A female friend, who is normally a cold sleeper, in a tent a few feet away in the same 18F weather was warm using her Downmat and a down bag rated for 20F.

Technically, I note the IAC has an R-value specification of 4.1 while the Downmat R-value is 8. R-value is one measure of the insulation power, so a higher R-value is warmer.

The Downmat is not a particularly lightweight pad, as you requested. You will find it heavier than your IAC.

--------------
Ricksterz
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 32
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 12:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Fatpacking @ Nov. 09 2012, 11:22 am)
Point taken folks. I won't post anymore. I'll be moving on to a different forum. You won't need to worry about my inexperienced posts any more or my attempts to help.

Thanks for the help I did manage to get in the short time I was here. I do appreciate that. Anyways, good trails everyone.

Hey now, Fatpacking, don't stomp off like that. You did get some help and at least three people supported your right to post, so carry on.

My long post addressed to you was on the mistaken assumption that you were looking for a new mattress. Sorry ahout that.
 Post Number: 33
Fatpacking Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 1:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TrailTramper @ Nov. 09 2012, 12:55 pm)

Point taken folks. I won't post anymore. I'll be moving on to a different forum. You won't need to worry about my inexperienced posts any more or my attempts to help.

Thanks for the help I did manage to get in the short time I was here. I do appreciate that. Anyways, good trails everyone.

Hey now, Fatpacking, don't stomp off like that. You did get some help and at least three people supported your right to post, so carry on.

My long post addressed to you was on the mistaken assumption that you were looking for a new mattress. Sorry ahout that.

No, I don't think your post was out of line at all. I realized that you thought I was looking for a pad as well as the OP. It was more because of some other posts. I tried to help and felt like I was attacked because I don't have hundreds of miles under my boots and/or thousands of posts on here. I'm the new guy around here and on the trail, I don't hide that fact. All I was doing was trying to help and I was scolded for it. Like I said, I really appreciate the help I have been given in my daypack thread, and thanks for those that kinda backed me up in this thread. I don't want to go else where as far as forums are concerned, I also don't want to be spanked because a couple people don't like the way I offered some help.
 Post Number: 34
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 1:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Fatpacking @ Nov. 09 2012, 10:40 am)
I also don't want to be spanked because a couple people don't like the way I offered some help.

kinky...

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 35
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 2:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Fatpacking @ Nov. 09 2012, 1:40 pm)

No, I don't think your post was out of line at all. I realized that you thought I was looking for a pad as well as the OP. It was more because of some other posts. I tried to help and felt like I was attacked because I don't have hundreds of miles under my boots and/or thousands of posts on here. I'm the new guy around here and on the trail, I don't hide that fact. All I was doing was trying to help and I was scolded for it. Like I said, I really appreciate the help I have been given in my daypack thread, and thanks for those that kinda backed me up in this thread. I don't want to go else where as far as forums are concerned, I also don't want to be spanked because a couple people don't like the way I offered some help.

Hey man, I agree with you. There should be room at the table for both experienced and noobs, and also room for direct experience along with opinion and helpful googling.

If anything, I'm amazed at how often on other forums (not this one) people ask questions that very easily could have been answered if they did a little googling themselves. Helpful folks who do it for you, and without a wisecrack, are gracious at the very least. (There's even a website just for dishing out such sarcasm: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=let+me+google+that+for+you).

I've seen plenty of posts on this forum from people of all experience and forum tenure levels, where someone is throwing up an item they found on an internet search and will admit to not having used it but wanted to share. No spanking involved there.

Personally I can say that I learn from every post put up here by every contributor. Often it just confirms what I already know, and I welcome that. Sometimes it opens my mind to something new, or challenges something old.

So stick around, and contribute, and learn. Remember, you're on here not because you love internet forums but because you want to get the most out your experience on the trail -- the right equipment, the right destinations, the safe approach, not over-spending, etc. It's worth hanging around even if there are a few bumps on the trail.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 36

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 2:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Nov. 09 2012, 1:48 pm)

(Fatpacking @ Nov. 09 2012, 10:40 am)
I also don't want to be spanked because a couple people don't like the way I offered some help.

kinky...

hahaha...since you put it that way, maybe it's not such a bad thing...lol
 Post Number: 37

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 2:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JRinGeorgia @ Nov. 09 2012, 2:31 pm)
Remember, you're on here not because you love internet forums but because you want to get the most out your experience on the trail -- the right equipment, the right destinations, the safe approach, not over-spending, etc. It's worth hanging around even if there are a few bumps on the trail.

That is very true. THANKS!
 Post Number: 38
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 2:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Fatpacking @ Nov. 09 2012, 11:40 am)

Frankly, I appreciated your post.  I hadn't seen that pad and appreciated having it brought up, as well as your complete honesty from the get-go that it wasn't one you used, just one you'd found, saying "hey, maybe take a look."

I say forget about the folks trying to police the responses instead of offering alternate views.  Your post wasn't out of line at all (it surely didn't violate any of the Terms of Service for the forums), and you had as much a right to post as anyone.  You certainly weren't attacking anyone.  Why we're even talking about this is beyond me, as if you need anyone else's permission to post on a topic.  Stick around.

My $.02, anyway.

ETA: JRinGeorgia just expressed my sentiment exactly, above.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 39

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 3:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Fatpacking, just so you know, I was almost run out of this forum quite a few years ago for the same reason as you. I like to research gear and post about what I find. I sometimes comment on things I've never even seen, based on what I know about similar items, the specs, etc.

To be honest, new people are sometimes given a rubbing for doing things that long-time members are allowed to do on the theory that the old-timers have more credibility. As a newcomer I got my knuckles rapped for commenting on things I didn't actually own. That's irrational. You don't need to own something to know about it. I don't own a Coleman tent but I'm pretty sure I can tell you why one might not hold up in a week of rain.

This place used to be a heck of a lot rougher. It's gotten pretty tame. Stick around and you might even come to like people you thought were ankle biters . . . especially if they own up to their grouchiness and apologize.
 Post Number: 40
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 4:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We tried to run him out but Eyebp said, "No" so we put our pitchforks down and gave him a bacon party instead...

--------------
 Post Number: 41

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 5:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

hahaha...thanks guys.

Oh, and where do I sign up for a bacon party? Sounds like a darn good time.
 Post Number: 42
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 5:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Fatpacking @ Nov. 09 2012, 2:13 pm)
hahaha...thanks guys.

Oh, and where do I sign up for a bacon party? Sounds like a darn good time.

I'll be having my next bacon party in January up on Mt. Hood. Snowshoeing, Sledding, snow sculpting, Whiskey, and bacon...

--------------
 Post Number: 43
Bette Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 6:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good advice from the group.  yes, we camp sometimes in below freezing weather.  the last time out (when I froze) was Bryce canyon and 30°. my tummy was full, I had drank plenty and was warm when I got in my bag.  I kept waking up and adding clothes, hat and gloves. Other than get up and run around to get warm :-) I didn't know what else to do.  The darn pad just seems to suck the heat from me.
 Post Number: 44
vigilguy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 6:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Fatpacking @ Nov. 09 2012, 1:40 pm)

Understand that Ray may have come across as blunt, but there might be a reason for that.

Before your time, there was one guy in particular, who seemed to know and have personal experience with shoes and boots, but then started to offer his "expert" advice on sleeping bags and tents, etc.  The guy did not have actual experience with the products in question, and he came off as a know-it-all and all he had done was extensive internet research.  I felt he was very condescending and very offensive, and finally he was booted off of the forums. He started off being being helpful on footwear, but later became quite snarky about gear he knew very little about.  

Realize that a lot of us are older and we came from a generation that personal experience, right or wrong, carries a lot of credibility with us.   I for one, will share experience only if I have used the product.  If I haven't, I keep my mouth shut.

I believe that you have a lot to offer to these forums.  Don't take it personal.  Just realize that there have been others before you coming here that kinda screwed things up a bit and caused a lot of us to be wary and skeptical and sometimes ornery.  :D
 Post Number: 45
vigilguy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 6:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Bette @ Nov. 09 2012, 6:04 pm)
Good advice from the group.  yes, we camp sometimes in below freezing weather.  the last time out (when I froze) was Bryce canyon and 30°. my tummy was full, I had drank plenty and was warm when I got in my bag.  I kept waking up and adding clothes, hat and gloves. Other than get up and run around to get warm :-) I didn't know what else to do.  The darn pad just seems to suck the heat from me.

Yep, you sound like you're a "cold" sleeper.  You'd love the Exped Down mat if you can fit it into your budget.
 Post Number: 46
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 7:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Bette @ Nov. 08 2012, 1:34 pm)
I have a BA insulated air core and no matter what, when it get's cold ( below 35/40) I freeze. My bag is a Montbell down zero degree.

I would go for the gusto on r value and get one of those Downmats if you're cold on an Insulated Air Core at above freezing temps in a more than adequate bag. I also use an IAC, but am a very warm sleeper, so detailing my (opposite)experience wouldn't mean much to you.
 Post Number: 47

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 8:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(vigilguy @ Nov. 09 2012, 6:50 pm)
Before your time, there was one guy in particular . . . Just realize that there have been others before you coming here that kinda screwed things up a bit and caused a lot of us to be wary and skeptical and sometimes ornery.  :D

Wow. TNB still has an influence on this forum from the grave? He can make us ornery? What's it been since he was ejected, two years?

Okay, that's cute but senseless. There is blame to go all around: to the individual who held the forum hostage for an incredibly long time; to the forum members who didn't take action against him; and to the moderator who didn't boot him out way, way before. The only person who is NOT to blame is this newcomer to the forum who had nothing to do with those events!
 Post Number: 48
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 9:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey now...before TNB (who I believe is actually not kicked off the boards), there was Alps is the answer to everything. He was fun...

--------------
 Post Number: 49

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 9:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Bette @ Nov. 09 2012, 6:04 pm)

Have you tried taking a bottle of hot water to bed? The water stays hot for several hours.

Also, do you have your mat turned insulated side up?
 Post Number: 50

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 9:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JRinGeorgia @ Nov. 09 2012, 2:31 pm)
Remember, you're on here not because you love internet forums but because you want to get the most out your experience on the trail.

My name is Arnold and I am a gear forum addict.
 Post Number: 51
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 9:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bette - Wear down booties to bed. Sierra Designs booties go on sale a couple times a year. Worth their weight in warmth...

--------------
 Post Number: 52

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 10 2012, 12:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I thought this was a neat graphic...

Post Number: 53
Ron. Search for posts by this member.
don't surround yourself with your self

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 10 2012, 3:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My Downmat 7 LW  has kept me warm down into the teens sleeping on top of 3 ft of snow.

R value of 5.9

--------------
And be kind toward one another
 Post Number: 54
Bette Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 9:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks again for the advice, I am assuming that the black side goes down and the brown side up?  The hot water bottle sounds like a good idea, but since I am starting out plenty warm and don't get cold until the early morning hours I'm not sure that would be the solution.  I wear really heavy wool socks, but down booties does sound like a good option, plus I believe they make them so you could wear them as camp shoes.  Also just wondering, would I be better off (weight wise and cost) if I would be better off purchasing the Exped or getting a CCF pad just to use when it gets very cold?
 Post Number: 55
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 12:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The logo goes up, so yes, brown side up. That puts the insulation against your body.

http://cascadedesigns.com/therm-a....product

Cost-wise you could add that on top of what you have.

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 56
Walkinman Search for posts by this member.
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 2:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey Bette

I've used my Exped Down 7 UL camping on glaciers for a week or so, and slept just fine sleeping on the ice and/or snow. They're an amazing little pad. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them for anyone.

Cheers

Carl

--------------
Guided Alaska backpacking and hiking trips

"What good is a used up world and how can it be worth having?" -- Sting, All This Time.
55 replies since Nov. 08 2012, 2:34 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 2 of 2<<12
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Warm sleeping pad
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions