2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Gloves Warm waterproof, Help Please< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 2:51 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

All,

I need a good pair of waterproof and warm gloves.  For shoveling snow, snow shoeing etc... Seems like mine always wet thru and suck.  Not for skiing, I ues thinner ones for that.  I am looking at OR  Mtn Hardware etc...

What is the liner combo about?

Maybe mittens?

Had our first blast today and it was wet snow and didn't take long for my fingers to get cold.

Thanks

--------------
Nature bats last!

Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 3:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like my REI "Switchbacks".  IMO, the best bang for the buck out there.  They are two systm glove and I've never had cold fingers with thelm above 0 degrees.  Colder than that temp. I switch to mittens.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 3
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 3:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use an OR combo glove (Pro Modulars). As the temp changes and my needs change, I use different liners ranging from thin (often just the shells) when shoveling to the Gore-Tex fleece liners when sitting around camp. On extended outings, I'll often bring a second pair of fleece liners in case I wet out a pair from sweat. My glove shells are Seam-taped and gore-tex lined. You can also purchase liners that are also Gore-Tex. They are gauntlet style gloves. They are the only glove I've purchased that I trust on extended outings without bringing a backup pair. That said, I purchased a pair of BD mitts that I will be playing with/testing this winter for fun...they were on sale at the REI garage sale and I couldn't resist. They have removable liners also and look equally impressive. I would expect them to perform similar but warmer due to the mitt vs. glove design. That is the main reason I am going to try them. I want to see how close a comparison/contrast I find between them.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 3:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Nov. 08 2012, 3:04 pm)
I use an OR combo glove (Pro Modulars). As the temp changes and my needs change, I use different liners ranging from thin (often just the shells) when shoveling to the Gore-Tex fleece liners when sitting around camp. On extended outings, I'll often bring a second pair of fleece liners in case I wet out a pair from sweat. My glove shells are Seam-taped and gore-tex lined. You can also purchase liners that are also Gore-Tex. They are gauntlet style gloves. They are the only glove I've purchased that I trust on extended outings without bringing a backup pair. That said, I purchased a pair of BD mitts that I will be playing with/testing this winter for fun...they were on sale at the REI garage sale and I couldn't resist.

I think I looked at those today.  so many gloves I got overwhelmed.  I'll go back after everybody chimes in and I gather my witts.  Thanks

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 5
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 7:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like to layer my winter gloves - a light liner, a fleece mitten, an an over mit.

Shortly after starting the hike the fleece mitten comes off and gets packed away, and the over mitts dangle from my wrist.

The more difficult time is the cold rainy days between 30 and 50 degrees - a bit too cold to go without gloves, but too warm to wear an overmit.

I just got 2 pairs of the Seirus Xtreme All Weather Glove - the heavier ones that are seamed sealed.  I confirmed they are waterproof with a bucket test, and many of the reviews state they are not all that warm - perfect for those cold rainy days.

But they may not breath well.  I'll have to wait a few weeks to try them out because this weekend is going to be sunny and highs in the 60's in western new york.
4 replies since Nov. 08 2012, 2:51 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Gloves Warm waterproof
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions