2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Kelty Redwing 44 or TNF Terra 45< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
bdmst16 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 5:28 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hello everyone - first post here.

I've tried to do as much research on this as I could and I now am asking for some advice from the veterans.

I'm new to the backpacking and hiking scene, but am loving it so far.  Right now I have a Kelty Lakota 65 and I love it - but I'm looking for something smaller maybe in the 35-45L range for day hikes and for work (a little overkill for work - but I do tote a lot of books back and forth).

I'm lucky enough that I get a pretty good discount on both Kelty and The North Face - so those are the two I've been looking at.  

The Kelty Redwing 45 looks great - but I also like TNF Terra 45.  With my discount they are both the same price (approximately $60).

I've tried both on and they both fit pretty good.  I didn't get a chance to load them up yet.  The Kelty seems more like an oversized "schoolbag" with the compartment and pocket layout which is a plus when I'm using it in the work environment.  The Terra on the otherhand feels more like a true hiking backpack with its design and sleeping bag compartment.

I know that this will come down to personal opinion and how the bags fit - but beyond the "personal" aspect I was hoping that I could get some knowledge imparted :)

Thanks in advance.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Fatpacking Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 5:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I can't offer much help as I am new to all this as well, but I will say that the Redwing 50 is pretty comfortable loaded with approximately 25 pounds. I'd suspect the 44 would be too since it's the same bag, just slightly smaller. I almost purchased the Redwing 50 last weekend until I tried on the Deuter pack that I ended up buying. I know it's not on your list but it was a very comfortable pack. But for $60...I'd definitely jump on the Kelty just for a spare bag or an everyday bag. I didn't look at any of the Northface stuff at REI so I can't comment on that, it may very well be just as nice as the Kelty, I just don't have any experience with it.
 Post Number: 3
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 5:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I had the Terra 40 and the 44 is the same thing, just slightly larger volume.

Personally I would buy the Terra. It is more of a climbing style pack and hugs the body better. (Taller, narrower) Plus I like top-loaders better than panel-loaders. The Terra suspension is surprisingly robust but I used mine more in cooler weather for backpacking and as a winter day-pack.

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 4
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 5:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a redwing 3100.  I don't like it for hiking because it has only a single stay and the bag sags below the hip belt, putting a lot of pressure on my shoulders.

I've lent it to a few friends on day hikes and have noticed them pulling the shoulder straps forward apparently experiencing the same issue with shoulder pressure.
 Post Number: 5
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 7:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

TNF by far.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 6
BikerEagle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 10:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Own both the Kelty 44 and 50.  Use the 44 for weekends instead of a suitcase, and for day hikes with a lot of gear/food.  Also for parades during Mardi Gras.  During Carnival 12 to 16 hour days are common and the Kelty is comfy for long intervals.  It is bombproof and should last many years.  However, fit is crucial.  Some fall in between the S/M and M/L size.  It is what it is.  The panel loading Kelty is great for day hikes since most folks are in and out of the pack a lot on a day hike, and the panel gives you access to 80% of the pack without removing anything.  

Someone mentioned the Deuter, and I have a 25L Deuter day pack that I use in warm weather where the extra volume isn't needed but cooler is much desired.  That's where the Deuter shines.  All day outings in the French Quarter in hot weather are bearable with the air suspension of the Deuter.  They also make a size comparable to the Kelty.  It's a top loader so you have to dig, and it's pricier than the Kelty.

Own lots of TNF gear but never had one of their packs.

--------------
"They came with a rush."  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 7
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 12:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

for parades during Mardi Gras.  During Carnival 12 to 16 hour days are common and the Kelty is comfy for long intervals.  It is bombproof and should last many years.  However, fit is crucial.

Yeah, don’t want it to interfere with the bare breasts. Some beads over here?

All day outings in the French Quarter in hot weather are bearable with the air suspension of the Deuter.

But the overnights bite as the drunk tank doesn't have a place to hang packs…

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 8
bdmst16 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 5:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks guys - ended up going with TNF Terra pack.

I really liked the Kelty pack - but in the end felt that TNF pack was better suited to what I needed.
7 replies since Nov. 08 2012, 5:28 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Kelty Redwing 44 or TNF Terra 45
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions