2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Dana Dersign Terraplane repair, Cracked frame sheet< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
vigilguy Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 9:27 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I stumbled on a Dana Design ArcFlex Terraplane for a really good price (<100.00) for my son.  Upon receipt, I noticed that the frame sheet is cracked and needs replacing.

Any thoughts?  I will contact Marmot in order to see if they still have any replacement parts for this model, I will also contact Rainy Pass Repair.  I have chatted with Dana Gleason at OR Shows, and will also contact him for ideas.

I am hoping that perhaps someone might want to "part-out" their old DD Terraplane too.

Any other helpful ideas any of you might have?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 11:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Vigil, I think you've got it all covered... me, I'd be int he hunt for a "parts" pack.

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 3
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 12:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow, I just found one with a damaged pack and was looking for someone with a wrecked frame that would "part out" their Terraplane...

;-)

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 4
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 6:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use an epoxy for repairs like that.  Can't remember the brand name right now but this stuff holds machinery together.  Go to Ace hardware and look in their glues for an epoxy that has 2600 psi strength.  This stuff really works.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 5
Dennis Waite Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 7:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You could simply purchase a sheet of HDPE of the same thickness and use the old sheet as a pattern. Then transfer the attachment hardware using 3/16 stainless rivets. That's assuming the framesheet is made of HDPE . . . I think most of them are . . . ?

--------------
Dennis Waite
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 10:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You might contact Mystery Ranch in Bozeman.  That's basically the old Dana company.  I bet they'd be able to help you out.  BTW, that's really a great pack.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 7
Walkinman Search for posts by this member.
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 2:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mystery Ranch will (likely) help, but they don't do anything for Dana packs under warranty any more.

--------------
Guided Alaska backpacking and hiking trips

"What good is a used up world and how can it be worth having?" -- Sting, All This Time.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2012, 3:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the many suggestions.

I have contacted Marmot and they will check and see if they have any frame sheets left in stock, and let me know on Monday.

I also called Mystery Ranch and they may be able to cut out a new frame sheet for me.  I'd prefer new material as opposed to repairing the original.

So we shall see.
 Post Number: 9
FamilyGuy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2012, 1:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

VigilGuy....just give the boy one of your Mchales....

--------------
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2012, 4:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(FamilyGuy @ Nov. 11 2012, 1:20 pm)
VigilGuy....just give the boy one of your Mchales....

Ha! Maybe after I'm dead and gone....

I did let them borrow two of them for a few days for a trip to Catalina Island recently. :)
 Post Number: 11
IAJeff Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2012, 5:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Dennis Waite @ Nov. 09 2012, 7:51 am)
You could simply purchase a sheet of HDPE of the same thickness and use the old sheet as a pattern. Then transfer the attachment hardware using 3/16 stainless rivets. That's assuming the framesheet is made of HDPE . . . I think most of them are . . . ?

If you need to go this route, I know of a company that sells this. Let me know if you need that information.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 9:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Nov. 09 2012, 6:26 am)
I use an epoxy for repairs like that.  Can't remember the brand name right now but this stuff holds machinery together.  Go to Ace hardware and look in their glues for an epoxy that has 2600 psi strength.  This stuff really works.

Are you thinking of JB Weld?
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 10:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No.  That stuff reeks.  This is something like "plastic steel epoxy" with a 2600 psi strength.  Amazing stuff.  I think Devon makes it.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 14
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 10:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Devcon does a bunch of them (I've used their Permetex line forever):

http://www.amazon.com/Devcon-14320-50ml-Plastic-Welder/dp/B000P1HFKM

So does 3M:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/SCOTCHWELD-Epoxy-Adhesive-2RUC7

Those are applicator cartridges that go into guns, a store will have a consumer version in a dual plunger syringe arrangement.

I've done boat stuff that was indestructible.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 9:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Many thanks for the tip.

You're not kidding, that epoxy really does work!  I used it on this frame sheet and I think it is going to fix it.  Bonds well, and dries hard.  Devcon is what I purchased.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 2:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(vigilguy @ Nov. 18 2012, 9:28 pm)

Many thanks for the tip.

You're not kidding, that epoxy really does work!  I used it on this frame sheet and I think it is going to fix it.  Bonds well, and dries hard.  Devcon is what I purchased.

Serious, ain't it?

--------------
15 replies since Nov. 08 2012, 9:27 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Dana Dersign Terraplane repair
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions