2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: NeoAir XLite pad, warmer yet lighter< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 10 2012, 8:13 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well I certainly used the heck out of this pad. I have to say that they really have a game-changer with this system. Before the first NeoAir, Big Agnes was just crushing the market with the IAC. I bet their percentage really dropped after the NeoAir came out. (Although their new Q-Core looks pretty comfortable.)

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews....strella

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 10 2012, 8:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice review.  What's the tent in your picture at Halstad?

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 10 2012, 8:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That is a NEMO Obi Elite 2p. They just let me borrow it for a month of backpacking. I sent it back along with a bunch of feedback.

It is a pretty nice tent. It is very similar to the Fly Creek from BA but NEMO has a much better pole design. It gives the tent a lot more head-room.

It packs down tiny. That is what I have in the CA pictures with no fly on.

--------------
 Post Number: 4
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 10 2012, 12:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(rayestrella @ Nov. 10 2012, 8:49 am)
That is a NEMO Obi Elite 2p.

It looks awfully cute... and I like the simple pole design.  I've been stewing about an UL 2-person tent.  This one is light enough to be tempting.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 5
STICK Search for posts by this member.
~Stick~

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 10 2012, 11:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just recently traded in my beloved Original NeoAir for an XLite. The Original was losing air overnight, more than what it should have due to a change in air pressure from the weather...

I was a bit upset about this since I hate the fact that TAR has literally cut corners on these pads to lighten them up. Don't get me wrong, I have cut my toothbrush handles, removed tags and drawcords and a few other silly things to cut weight, but when it affects my comfort, especially my sleeping comfort, I am not happy about it and would rather carry a few extra grams, or if necessary, oz. So, the cut corners forced me to go with a Large size XLite rather than the regular size, so I ended up adding an extra 1.8 oz of weight to my sleeping pad because of this. This ticked me off since the Original was perfect for my needs and comfort, and it was lighter...

But, I will admit, after using my XLite a couple of times, I have come to enjoy the width in the torso area, but I still notice that the foot area is still rather narrow. When lying on my back (which I generally do when I first lie down, or if it is hot and I am trying to cool off), if I spread my feet apart they are hanging off the side of the pad. This didn't happen with my Original... As well, I don't need the 77" of length...

So, the XLite has taught me that I was missing some comfort form the width in the torso area with my Original, but that was about it. At this point though, it really doesn't matter, so I am trying to have a good outlook on the XLite. One thing I do know, the baffling system on the NeoAir's are the most comfortable surface design for me. The completely flat self-inflators are the next best thing and I can live with the vertical baffles like on the BA or Exped pads, but not comfortably. I have also tried a Klymit Static V and was really not pleased with it as far as comfort is designed...

I agree though, that Q-Core does look promising...but heavy...

--------------
Jus' sayin'...

Sticks Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2012, 6:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah I was concerned about the shape change too. I had the original in regular and large, taking the regular only when I really needed to keep the pack weight and size down. Usually I took the large as it fits my length better plus the extra width is better for my style and quilts.

I did not try the XLite in a regular size but did use an regular XTherm (same shape & dimensions) and could not use it with a quilt, just a bag. But I only added 1 oz to go from the regular original to the Large XLite, so that is OK.

I do need to hang on to my original though for times I am with the kids as some tents don't have room for wide pads. The Obi Elite I was using this fall could not have held another pad besides mine. But it made a great solo.

--------------
 Post Number: 7
FamilyGuy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2012, 1:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I had two of the original versions that would not hold air.  I found the durability lacking, to say the least.  I am now using an Exped UL7 SynMat which is a couple of ounces heavier, warmer for me, functionally wider when full, and has proven more durable.  I hope the new version Neoair is more durable.

--------------
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."
 Post Number: 8
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2012, 5:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm wondering about the experiences with the pads losing air. We've been using two of them for three years now with no trouble.  Have either of you figured out where the problem is?  Pin-hole leak?  Bad valve?  Are they not up to the weight (I seem to remember STICK, at least, is a big guy, whereas I'm pretty average and my husband smaller than average)?  We do try to be careful about using a groundcloth in desert areas, but we also do stuff the things into the chair kits and sit on them in camp--and still no leaks.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 9
FamilyGuy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2012, 6:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Rebecca, it appeared to be an issue where the ends were sealed.  In other words, it wasn't from specific holes in the fabric but from where the two pieces of fabric were attached.   More an apparent manufacturing defect.  I wanted it to work for me.

I have been eyeing the XTherm but those have been having issues with delamination of the baffles.  Grrrr....

--------------
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."
 Post Number: 10
~Stick~

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2012, 6:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Nov. 11 2012, 4:48 pm)
I'm wondering about the experiences with the pads losing air. We've been using two of them for three years now with no trouble.  Have either of you figured out where the problem is?  Pin-hole leak?  Bad valve?  Are they not up to the weight (I seem to remember STICK, at least, is a big guy, whereas I'm pretty average and my husband smaller than average)?  We do try to be careful about using a groundcloth in desert areas, but we also do stuff the things into the chair kits and sit on them in camp--and still no leaks.

I don't know what the deal with mine turned out to be. The last couple of months that I used it I would wake up at least once to have to add a few breaths to puff it back up. I  was always careful with it too, and I know that there was not a big hole in it... I would've found it, plus I think it would have deflated faster. So I don't know if it was a seal, around the nozzle (don't think so) or if it was just pin holes... All I know is that the last night I used it I woke up and it was considerably deflated. Took about 7 breaths to get it back up...

I have had mine about 2 years and have used it a lot between on the trail (in campgrounds and in shelters), at camp outs, backyard camping and even inside camping with the kids, so a lot... I really was hoping that it would have held out longer though, especially since they are not being made anymore...

So, on the way home from the trip I stopped at REI (since it was on the way) and got the XLite in its place.

I thought about the Exped UL7, but they just aren't near as comfortable to me as is the NeoAirs...

--------------
Jus' sayin'...

Sticks Blog
 Post Number: 11
Fatpacking Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2012, 6:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It would be awesome if the pads came in a regular wide. I ran into the same issue with my IAC pad. I am kinda tall at 6'2", but not so tall I need a long pad. However, I am very broad and NEED the wide pad. Even as a side sleeper, a 20" is just too narrow. I come from a power lifting background so I have a football lineman build, so I have a lot of upper body girth that just won't fit on a smaller pad no matter how much I want it to. A regular wide pad would be the best thing since sliced bread IMO.
 Post Number: 12
~Stick~

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2012, 7:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I actually slept on my XLite last night. As I said in a post above, I don't feel like I need the 77" in length, but I did notice that the little extra length did help by actually keeping my pillow in place, on the pad. I did find that sometimes with my regular 72" pad that I would easily knock my pillow off the head end and have to fish for it and then put it back in place. So far I only have 3 nights on the XLite, but keeping my pillow on the pad has been quite easy...

Just a thought...

--------------
Jus' sayin'...

Sticks Blog
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2012, 7:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I still have my regular size original NeoAir and have never had any issues with it. My first large did develop a leak that I could not find so I sent it to Cascade Designs for them to find and repair for a charge. Instead they sent me a new one.

The XLite has a ton of nights on it and is doing fine. I am 220 lb so it is getting a workout with me flopping around on it. No leaks and no baffles wearing (which I believe was just from the first batch from what I have read).

--------------
 Post Number: 14
~Stick~

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2012, 9:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That sounds promosing. So, the big question is, does the crinkling noise go away? The XLite is much more crinkly than my original ever was...  :)

--------------
Jus' sayin'...

Sticks Blog
 Post Number: 15
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 1:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As I mentioned earlier this year, I blew an REI 20% discount on one and it seems to have displaced my BA IAC. It's a really nice pad.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 6:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think the new shell is more noisy but it still goes away once under pressure. The quietest is definitely the All Season still.

--------------
 Post Number: 17
TrailTromper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 7:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Funny about folks complaining about the shaped pad.  It was one of the bigger selling features to me.
 Post Number: 18
~Stick~

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 9:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TrailTromper @ Nov. 12 2012, 6:16 am)
Funny about folks complaining about the shaped pad.  It was one of the bigger selling features to me.

To each his (or her) own...

To me, sleep is important, and especially so when on the trail (and I feel its safe to say this is probably the same with most others). But, what makes one comfortable doesn't necessarily make the next person comfortable. For me, I like room in the foot area so my feet actually stay on the pad. As some may know I enjoy light pack weights, but cutting the corners from my pad is not where I myself would prefer to cut weight. So I am not a fan of mummy cut pads...

IMO, they should have kept the Original and the All Season for those that like rectangular shaped pads and the XLite and the XTherm for those that like mummy shaped pads... make us all happy...

--------------
Jus' sayin'...

Sticks Blog
 Post Number: 19
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 11:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I purposely bought the original (lime green/size large) Neoair over the new Xlite or Xtherm... I prefer the full rectangular shape and a 1/4" evazote pad on top of it is plenty R's.

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 11:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I bet if there is enough interest/clamor they would add them. BA makes all the shapes for their IAC line, so I would think TaR could too.

--------------
 Post Number: 21
TrailTromper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 12:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(rayestrella @ Nov. 12 2012, 11:36 am)
I bet if there is enough interest/clamor they would add them. BA makes all the shapes for their IAC line, so I would think TaR could too.

It wouldn't surprise me.  They just need to see enough demand to make it profitable enough.   I am kind of surprised they didn't do that in the first place though.
 Post Number: 22
~Stick~

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 4:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Trust me, I have emailed them... All they want to tell me is that they don't offer them anymore and when I still had my original they said that if I ever sent it in they would swap it for an XLite...

--------------
Jus' sayin'...

Sticks Blog
 Post Number: 23
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 7:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Fatpacking @ Nov. 11 2012, 6:58 pm)
. A regular wide pad would be the best thing since sliced bread IMO.

I couldn't agree more and I'm a pretty slender guy.  I really would rather have the extra width over the extra length. The other issue I have is inflation.  It's hardly self inflating and I find it takes a lot more blowing up that my old regular thermarest.  Is that normal? It is light anc opact though.  Gotta give it that.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 7:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That is because your old self-inflating thermarest took 720 cubic inches of your air to fill, Jerry. The original NeoAir in regular size takes 3600 cu in, or five times more.

They are going to start selling an OEM version of the Microburst Inflator. You should check it out. They work great.

--------------
 Post Number: 25
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 8:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anyone looked at the short (47")? Does it taper proportionally to the longer pads, or more like whacking one off at 47"?  Just wondering, because I always use a short pad (being only about 5'5" and a side sleeper, I don't need more length), but since a) it doesn't go all the way to the feet, and b) I'm probably curled on my side, I'm not keen on a pad that tapers too much to the foot.  That was my main complaint with my Insulmat that went missing--definitely mummy-shaped, but scaling down to the short pad meant it got narrow about the knees.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 26
~Stick~

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 9:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Jerry, I am sorta in the same boat as you... this large XLite takes quite a few breaths, and on at least a time or 2 I have found myself just wishing my pad were already inflated...

Ray, I have secretly wanted that Microburst Inflator since seeing your review on it a while back... but 2.3 oz...     2.3 oz.......  I will have to keep turning it over in my head...either that or cut out 2.3 oz in more tags, toothbrush handles, unneeded cords and/or straps and anything else I can think of...  JK...  :)

Rebecca, I don't think that I could do a short pad on these thicker air pads. During the summer, I might get away with a 1" thick short pad...but 2.5 is a big drop off and my pack isn't that thick... My wife is only 5'2" though, so a medium would work good for her...

--------------
Jus' sayin'...

Sticks Blog
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 7:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah I only use it in winter as I don't want condensation inside the pads.

You could look at the Instaflator. Or have you tried that? It is the lightest way I can think of.

--------------
 Post Number: 28
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 9:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BradMT @ Nov. 12 2012, 11:34 am)
I purposely bought the original (lime green/size large) Neoair over the new Xlite or Xtherm... I prefer the full rectangular shape and a 1/4" evazote pad on top of it is plenty R's.

I picked up two used, but looked new, original Neoair large pads just cause I like that size. The new taper is annoying to me

My first one developed the slow leak after three years of heavy use. GBH has it now in fact. SO I figure I have 6 years worth of pads now. By the time these start leaking something even better will be available.

I returned my XLite to REI after trying it at home

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 29
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 11:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(rayestrella @ Nov. 12 2012, 7:22 pm)
That is because your old self-inflating thermarest took 720 cubic inches of your air to fill, Jerry. The original NeoAir in regular size takes 3600 cu in, or five times more.

They are going to start selling an OEM version of the Microburst Inflator. You should check it out. They work great.

Makes sense on the need for extra inflation.

However Ray, I don't know about the Microburst.  I probably shouldn't comment having not used it, but it just seems like another gadget to buy and take along.  Just complicates things.  But, it is worth considering.  Funny about the backpacking, while we constantly emphasize the virtues of going lighter and lighter and simplifiying things, at the same time we are constantly enamored with new gadgets and devices to purchase and add weight.  Strange contradiction, IMO.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 12:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Like I said I only take it in the winter. You can't believe how nice it is to stay inside the tent and inflate my pad, compared to many times fighting with a pump sack sitting half-out.

I have an older friend in Australia that flat gets dizzy inflating his BA pad. I suggested it to him.

My Exped came with a pump sack that weighs 5.4 oz, so I actually dropped weight to use the Microburst.

--------------
33 replies since Nov. 10 2012, 8:13 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply NeoAir XLite pad
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions