2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 2 of 2<<12

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Backpacking quilts, How and why< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 31
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 6:36 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Quilts sound like a good choice for some types of sleepers though would not be for this person.  Generally I sleep well at night outdoors as long as it is quiet.  And am not too bothered by uneven surfaces or positions.

As an old guy and backpacker I've had a list of sleeping bags through the years.  Some are down, some synthetic,  some for warm conditions, some for cold, some expensive, some really cheap.   My current 3-season backpacking bag is a 15F Marmot Pinnacle and my winter bag a decade old -5F REI elements both with high loft goose down.  I'm a light sleeper that does not move while sleeping though rotates from side to side or to 3/4 back each time I wake up.  Also as a thin wiry person, I have a rather cool body temperature.  

For most of my backpacking years as long as ambient is not too cold, I have tended to use down sleeping bags fully unzipped blanket style just laying atop a pad and tend to prefer my feet out in the fresh air.  But if I get into even a zipped up down mummy bag with cold feet, they tend to stay annoyingly cold for two or three hours unless I do something directly about warming them up first.  

In the old days all my pads were the usual synthetic foam though only in the last decade began to use a Thermorest style pad including the short length NeoAir I now have.  As night air cools I increasingly get inside a sleeping bag and zip it up.  If temperatures are cold, I'll immediately get inside a mummy bad fully zipped and cinched up in order to bring the inside of a sleeping bag up to a comfortable temperature and then start unzipping it.  And that does occur quite a bit during the winter up in near zero degree temps as I am a resort skiing enthusiast that a fair amount of times doesn't bother with motel rooms and instead  sleeps in my vehicle especially during nights during storms at resort parking lots where there is an advantage to being the first in lift lines.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 32
LiteMan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 7:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Fatpacking @ Nov. 13 2012, 6:17 pm)

(TrailTramper @ Nov. 13 2012, 5:48 pm)
You guys need to read more. Raising body temperature with meditation was validated 30 years ago.

http://www.nytimes.com/1982....on.html

http://web.archive.org/web....ttp

That's great. At least when your core temp drops and you die, your toes and fingers won't be black from frostbite.

Apparently you missed the part wherein it talks about the monks sleeping outside in 0 degree F temps with just thin shawls and being perfectly ok?  

While i'm not an expert on Tibetan monks, my understanding is that they can control the heating to a good degree and direct to certain parts of their body or generalize it throughout.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 33

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 7:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Nov. 13 2012, 6:04 pm)

(LiteMan @ Nov. 13 2012, 2:45 pm)

(Tigger @ Nov. 13 2012, 2:13 pm)

(LiteMan @ Nov. 13 2012, 9:50 am)
(Also, i know meditative techniques to raise my body temp at will).

Why bother with a sleeping bag or quilt at all....?

Because who wants to meditate every time it's cold outside or they become cold?  

Because you can...Talk about ultralight backpacking.

Yeah i see the advantage there, but again i'm not that skilled or practiced to rely only on that.  Maybe with a lot more practice i can do it, but a wise person recognizes their current limits.  

This is becoming quite the tangent--i should stop talking about this.
 Post Number: 34
IAJeff Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 8:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Nov. 12 2012, 9:29 pm)
What must they be paying ray to redirect traffic?

Just kiddin you, man.  You do a great service to us.

That is kind of funny. I was thinking that, even though he probably isn't. But he is still a good salesman.
 Post Number: 35
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 8:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a Golite Ultralite 3-Season 20 degree 800-fill down quilt that I absolutely LOVE! I don't winter camp, so this quilt is perfect for me. It has a foot box, so my feet stay nice and toasty. I've never gotten cold with the quilt.

I like a quilt because I am a side-sleeper, and turn from side-to-side all night. It's hard to do in a mummy bag. Also, I don't like the feeling of confinement in a mummy bag. When I did use a mummy bag, I never zipped it up and used it like a quilt anyway, so why bother having a zipper jabbing me in the face or Velcro bugging me all night?

--------------
All this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost. ~Avicii
 Post Number: 36
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 9:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(LiteMan @ Nov. 13 2012, 7:12 pm)

Nah, it's Ray's thread and he won't mind.
You can learn that stuff places other than Tibet, by the way.  I learned bio feedback at the University of Washington in the 70's and I still use it today.

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
 Post Number: 37
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 9:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(LiteMan @ Nov. 13 2012, 12:50 pm)
(Also, i know meditative techniques to raise my body temp at will).

When I was laying in pre-op prior to hernia surgery, my parents came to visit.  They remarked that my vitals were very calm for someone about to get cut.  

I said, "watch this"

Dropped my heart rate and blood pressure 10% almost instantly.  My dad freaked.  My mom wants to learn how to do it for her back problems.

I've got to figure out how to communicate the process.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 38

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 9:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(toesnorth @ Nov. 13 2012, 9:13 pm)

(LiteMan @ Nov. 13 2012, 7:12 pm)

Nah, it's Ray's thread and he won't mind.
You can learn that stuff places other than Tibet, by the way.  I learned bio feedback at the University of Washington in the 70's and I still use it today.

That's pretty cool Toesnorth, what got you into that to begin with?  Btw i completely agree with you.  I found out about this body heating thing by accident and spontaneously.  5 years ago, my wife and i attended the Gateway Voyage program at The Monroe Institute in Faber, VA for our honeymoon.   It was middle of summer and quite hot and humid out, but they kept the buildings inside super cool via the AC (so there was quite the contrast between the inside and outside).   So, often, when you're laying down and meditating, you felt pretty cold and needed thin blankets.  

One night i had stayed up very, very late talking to some fellow group participants and since they woke us up very early for our first meditation ("sound experience" as the trainers there call it), i figured i would be dead tired and sure enough i was--i thought about sleeping through it, but decided i would try to stay awake.  

I had blankets on because i was cold having just woken up (where you sleep is also where you meditate), but after a couple of minutes of doing the "toning" (which Easterners might call "chanting"), i became VERY hot, had to throw off the blankets and still felt quite hot.  It was odd, one second i was cold and the next i was heating up to the point of sweating doing no physical activity whatsoever and having just woken up a few minute before.  

Besides the heat thing, after the meditation i felt like i had a full nights of good rest and then some.  I've had some other "heat" experiences during meditation since then--usually spontaneous, but i know i can "re-create" it if i want to.  My wife Becky has also experienced this during meditation.

I figure it probably is similar in some ways to what the Tibetan Monks do, except that they deliberately try to raise their body temps in their "contests" or to show Westerners there is more to our reality than our mainstream beliefs and perceptions allow.   It's not something that i have tried to consistently practice though, but it might be a good skill to develop more fully.  

Funny enough, a couple of days ago before this conversation got brought up, i came upon "Iceman" who is a Laplander who made a Guinness world record for running a half marathon above the Arctic circle, during mid Winter with no socks, no shirt, and no pants.  Apparently he practices something like the meditation the Tibetan Monks do.  Here is an interesting youtube video about him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=madoDvtKEes
 Post Number: 39
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 10:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bio feedback is physical, not metaphysical.  I learned it for pain management primarily..
I was also a Buddhist for many years and the meditation taught to me was not for physical control, but for mental, emotional and physical well-being.  AND, monetary.  We were actually encouraged to chant for money if we needed it.   And, it worked.
Or, I was lucky.   :;):
Either way, meditation and bio feedback can work well for many.
Use it wisely, grasshopper.

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
 Post Number: 40

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 1:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

TDale, sounds like you are a natural at this stuff.  Imagine what you could do with a lot of practice?

Toesnorth, i hope the biofeedback helped/helps with the pain management.  I appreciate you going into some of your background.  I will try to use it wisely.  My deepest intention with meditation is to improve myself, to become more truly Loving & positive so that i can have a more positive effect on others/the Whole.
 Post Number: 41
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 2:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(LiteMan @ Nov. 14 2012, 10:36 am)
TDale, sounds like you are a natural at this stuff.  Imagine what you could do with a lot of practice?

Toesnorth, i hope the biofeedback helped/helps with the pain management.  I appreciate you going into some of your background.  I will try to use it wisely.  My deepest intention with meditation is to improve myself, to become more truly Loving & positive so that i can have a more positive effect on others/the Whole.

And to avoid plucking geese and shave alpacas...

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
40 replies since Nov. 10 2012, 8:27 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 2 of 2<<12
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Backpacking quilts
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions