2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Cashmere base layer?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Islandized Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 10 2012, 12:07 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes I know this sounds ridiculous. Hear me out. I have found (relatively) cheap cashmere tops somewhere, and I'm wondering if anybody has ever given this a try. Cashmere is goat fur, merino is sheep, similar results? Any posh hikers out there who would know? (Cashmere top, silk bottoms...all I need are mink mittens and a gold-plated titanium spork.)
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
SnidelyWhiplash Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 10 2012, 12:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

BP like a rock star.  My base layer is sable. :cool:
 Post Number: 3
SnidelyWhiplash Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 10 2012, 12:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So as not to be completely unhelpful, here's what I found.  Link.

Merino Wool

"Wherever sheep's feet touch the ground, the land turns to gold.” The Spanish were onto something. Sheep's wool is the most popular type of wool, due to it being widely available and highly versatile. Merino wool has superior shine, legendary softness, great breathability, and a lot of warmth for minimal weight. Merino sheep are most often raised in the mountainous regions of Australia and New Zealand. Merino is praised for its easily dye-able pure white color. Merino wool does not have the itchy feel of some wool, is odor absorbent, and provides high levels of UV protection. Merino is used to make high-end fabrics and yarns for use in luxury garments and knitwear.

Characteristics and Properties of Merino Wool:

Superior shine
Legendary softness
Great breathability
Maintains shape when stretched.
Is colorfast when dyed.
Is wrinkle resistant.
Is static-free.
Strong, durable, and easy to work with.Is static-free.
Is naturally white
Is flame retardant.
Non itchy
Provides high levels of UV protection
Count: 60s-70s
Microns:16-18
Staple length: 3-4 inches / 75-100mm

And from the same site:

Cashmere

Cashmere is an extremely soft, luxury fabric made from the hair of the Kashmir goat. Native to India, Tibet, Turkistan, Iran, Iraq, and China, the Kashmir goat produces hair with a lofty feel and natural crimp.

Technically, cashmere is the downy wool that grows beneath the goat's coarser outer hair and is gathered by combing the goat rather than clipping it. Only 4 to 6 ounces of cashmere can be harvested per goat each year. Fortunately for us, this naturally produced material is also extremely fine; a single cashmere fiber is less than 19 microns in diameter.

The natural crimp of cashmere fibers helps them interlock during processing and allows the fibers to be spun into a very fine and lightweight fabric. The crimp of the fiber correlates with the fineness of the spun yarn and the softness of the finished product. The yarn retains the loft of the fibers which makes it warm without weight. Because of its extreme warmth, light weight, and softness against skin, cashmere is used in sweaters, scarves, and undergarments.

Because cashmere has high moisture content, its insulating properties change with the amount of humidity in the air, making it comfortable in all climates (even warm ones).

Characteristics and Properties of Cashmere Wool:
Is a luxury fiber
Is lightweight and lofty
Natural crimp
Adjusts to humidity in the air for adaptability in all climates.
Microns: average 16-19
Color: shades of grey, brown, white
Staple length: 5-7cm (21/2-3 inches)
Only 4 to 6 ounces of cashmere can be harvested per goat each year.
 Post Number: 4
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 10 2012, 4:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think cashmere is better as a mid-layer.  It's really warm and usually light and lofty.  It's pretty miserable when it gets wet though -- sags and doesn't hold it's shape and weighs a ton.   I have an old really thick cable-knit cashmere sweater that I wear to cold football games and such.  It weighs a pound and is much warmer than a fleece of the same weight, but it's a lot less wind-blocking.

For a baselayer, I prefer a tighter, thinner weave that will hold it's shape.  Not saying it can't be done with cashmere but I get the feeling that's not its strong suit since I never see it utilized in that style.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 10 2012, 8:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good information from you both, thank you kindly!
 Post Number: 6
SmokeyBear Search for posts by this member.
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2012, 5:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Soooo... are you going to hook us up with the source of said cheap cashmere OP?
 Post Number: 7
LiteMan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2012, 7:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One thing i know fairly well is fabrics and fibers, and as someone earlier said, it's better for a mid layer.  Also, Cashmere is not the most durable stuff in the world and is very prone to a particular mite that loves to eat this stuff.  A couple of my cashmere sweaters have holes in them from this.  I've heard similar from other people who also have owned cashmere.  My erudite Father in law was the person to first clue me in on this issue with cashmere.  

Alpaca on the other hand is as warm and light, sometimes pretty much as soft, but is more durable and wicks moisture better.   It's more durable than Merino even.   Tends to be cheaper than Cashmere and sometimes cheaper than Merino, but harder to find in person.  

Most of my alpaca stuff has come from online, which sometimes is a gamble since having visited Peru in person before, i know vendors like to pass off acrylic as "Alpaca" or what is pretty common is mixing acrylic and alpaca and/or cheap wool and yet calling it 100% alpaca.    Personally, i wouldn't mind a 50% Alpaca and 50% Acrylic shirt or sweater since it will dry faster and probably be stronger and more resilient but you will lose some warmth.
 Post Number: 8
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 7:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tiger fan hit it right on the head.

I had purchased a nice crew neck from Marshalls for under $20...but the buggies got to it..so I figured I'd try it next time out.

Wore it the second day as a base layer and it was soaked.

Funny you mentioned silk...I've had issues w/a silk baselayer top getting bogged down w/sweat as well...I only use the bottoms now

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 10:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So I guess it won't work. Good to know.
The source was Sears Canada, actually, but they had lightweight crewnecks and turtlenecks, nothing that would work as a midlayer. Guess I'll stick with my friendly merinos and polys, find some other way to luxe the trail. Platinum j-pegs? Thank you all!
 Post Number: 10
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 11:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

find some other way to luxe the trail

try Blantons.....

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 11
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 8:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sherpas are the best way to luxe.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
10 replies since Nov. 10 2012, 12:07 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Cashmere base layer?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions