2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: iPhone users, Got my first one, trail apps?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
KC8QVO Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2012, 7:32 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I got an iPhone 4s yesterday to replace a blackberry curve I've had for about 3 years.

Some of my friends have iPhones and have some topo maps for the GPS feature that they uses on the trails (away from cell service). Does anyone have a list of apps that are good?

I am reading through the reviews of the ones at the app store and so far there is always someone that posts a review that says it doesn't work out of cell service. Is this operator error (not knowing how to use it) or the design of the program?

--------------
Steve
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
bp2go Search for posts by this member.

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2012, 11:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Start with Gaia GPS. It's $10 but it has all the maps without needing a connection. It offers the expected features of tracking, waypoints, plus options to show layers for topi, USGS Aerial, and a few other map types. Individual trips can be tracked on their own layer(s) to keep a record of where you were, how far you traveled, even an elevation profile. how long on the track, etc. It's quite useful.

While you're at it, look at "YouNeedaMap", whch is free (!) and offers an interesting set of options for shaded topi views, population centers, distance calculating, etc. It isn't really a "hike" app, but you will iike it for browsing. It's visually quite nice. And it's FREE!

And finally on my list of must-have travel apps: Waze! This one is a graphic map of GPS navigation on roadways, not hiking trails. It's also free (which is insane when you learn how very cool this app is!) and it is terrific for driving. Around town or cross-county, Waze shows you your best travel route to whatever destination, warns you of traffic conditions (accidents, construction, cops hiding behind bushes) in virtually real time. When you set up a trip at home, once Waze has planned the route you will still get voice alerts (prepare to turn left, ... turn left on Main Street, etc,,,). For drivng, Waze now offers a location-based list of gas stations with prices! It has a lot of features and it's great that it costs nothing to download or use. I've been a dedicated fan for almost a year and now.

--------------
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2012, 1:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the info. I went ahead and downloaded the Gaia GPS App. I searched on here and a couple others have written about it too. I will have to get used to how it works though.

What about downloading trail maps? I see the USGS Topo Map on Gaia allows me to select an area to download locally (which works pretty slick) but can I get trails to overlay on top of that? I know it will record my path, but what about those paths of others or a park map?

I'm really liking this phone so far - I'm glad I made the jump. I'm thinking my buddy was right telling me to get the 16gig 4s rather than the base iPhone 4 8gig  :) I might be using up more memory than I think.

--------------
Steve
 Post Number: 4
bp2go Search for posts by this member.

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2012, 2:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Google "Gaia import gpx" and you will fine lots of hits. Since I have not imported any tracks, I can't speak to this feature. That said, I can mention that in my area, the tops are not so very up-to-date with regard to manmade features.For hiking that wouldn't matter so much. I should also point you to iHikeGPS (http://tinyurl.com/adhgelz) which is really a straight-forward hike app. You download the topos of your area, or any place that interests you. His maps are very sharp and are certainly updated to show my area's features.

I use iHikeGPS in my car when traveling forest roads (it's on my iPad and I don't really hike with the iPad!), but on an iPhone? Why not? That's what it's designed for. It will display the topi for your location and load the next map as you cross boundaries. It's $8, but maps are all-you-can-eat for free. As I said, the maps are tack-sharp and better than Gaia's. Woth looking at. I bring this uo because I have imported and exported tracks and waypoints for my Garmin, and I found it to be a breeze.

NOTE: Now you have me playing GPS Guy with my Garmin 60csx and my iPad with both Gaia and iHikeGPS, etc. I have finally gone out to compare the UTM location as reported by these three methods, ad while the Garmin and iHike results were quite close, I discovered that Gais has me in the wrong UTM Section! It shows me as in N but I am in S. A Google search found that Gaia has noted this error and it's on their list of bugs to fix.  I also see that Gaia wants $20/year to allow you to have grids and UTM info on screen. Thanks, but iHike does this already, no extra charge.

--------------
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2012, 9:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I used the Gaia GPS app today while I hiked 5 miles. It is pretty slick. However, I do have one question for those that use Gaia also - how accurate have you found the speed recording to be? The reason I ask is a few times on my hike the chart shows 8+ mph. There is no way I moved that fast.

My next topic to hit is downloading trail maps. I have the recording feature down but I don't have a route to follow in there first.

--------------
Steve
4 replies since Nov. 11 2012, 7:32 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply iPhone users
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions