2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: GoLite Ultralite quilts, 2nd gen better< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2012, 7:55 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Some of you may remember my first quilt, the GoLite Ultra 20 which was very comfortable (and got me started on the whole quilt thing) but was nowhere near its temp rating or claimed loft.

The 2nd generation is much better, and is in fact spot on from what I can tell. The edits came in this morning so it is published now here:

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews....strella

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Fatpacking Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2012, 11:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Too bad they are sold out. They are on sale at the moment. I'd love to try a quilt. I was looking very hard at one of the Enlightened Equipment Revelation quilts. A 6'6" wide 30 degree with 30% overstuff quilt is about the same price as the GoLight on sale and comes in at 24oz with is pretty good in my book for such a large quilt.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2012, 12:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They blow out all their gear each year and restock later. Been doing it that way for at least the pst four years now.

They should be restocked come spring.

I have never used a quilt from EE yet but from what I have heard from friends that have them Tim makes a nice quilt and the pricing is very competitive. I recommend them to a lot of people.

--------------
 Post Number: 4
FamilyGuy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2012, 1:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have this quilt and it is quite good.  The baffles are nicely filled and the loft is very good.  True to warmth? Probably.  But below freezing and I use a FF Swift.  

The best feature of the quilt, however, is its width.  Much wider than most other cottage quilts and it makes side sleeping very easy and draft free.

Not to mention that the price cannot be beat.

--------------
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."
 Post Number: 5
IAJeff Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2012, 4:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ok, a new guy asking another dumb question or two.

It seems the word quilt can be applied to several products. áI have heard of top quilts and under quilts when referred to hammock camping. So how does this quilt compare to the terrestrial sleeping bag?

I too am a side sleeper and the bag that I have now is not warm enough and a little on the small side. So I was looking at getting a different bag. Now I saw this and am having second thoughts. Should I consider a quit to give me the room need to toss and turn at night?

Also you mentioned using these with the IAC, but you have another review for a different pad and said that it was better than the IAC. So why wasn't the new pad used in this review? Was it just the timing of when you did these reviews or do you prefer the IAC with this quilt?
 Post Number: 6
SmokeyBear Search for posts by this member.
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2012, 6:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Under quilts are a different beast altogether, made of denser non-lofty material because it needs to insulate under weight - I believe they are used on their own for warmer weather and over a proper pad for colder weather.

Top quilts for hammocks are probably very comparable and interchangeble with quilts for tents, though there might be some subtle differences. I'm sure it would work in a hammock fine.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2012, 8:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

IAJeff,

Smokey is right when he says that top quilts are close to a backpacking quilt. The difference in a quilt made for ground sleepers is that they are wider as a rule, and tend to have a sewn-in footbox.

As it sounds like you sleep like I do I sure would recommend giving one a try. (Did you read my article on quilt use? It goes into more detail on the concept.)

These quilts are my children's, and they have the IAC pads. They will be getting NeoAirs for their next pads.

The first review of a GoLite quilt from me was the Ultra 20 which I used with an original NeoAir. The Siren review I have posted here too uses the new XLite pad for every trip. I know it does get confusing keeping track of it. (I take a LOT of notes.)

--------------
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2012, 9:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks. It was a timing issue. After I made this post I saw the quilt explanation post. That was a wealth of information. I am sure I will be referencing it quite a bit. And maybe taking a lot of notes too.

Is there a quilt pad combination that you could advice for the beginner that is frugal to try? I guess that is my first start with research. Thanks for any help that you can offer.
 Post Number: 9
skinewmexico Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 12:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My Gen 1 Ultra 20 was underfilled. I called Golite and complained, and they swapped it for one that was filled as designed. It's been great so far. Tempted to sell it just to try an EE Rev X. I thought I was going to get to try my new (used) Nunatak this weekend, but I hurt my left knee 2 weeks ago, and my right calf in a MTB wreck. Can't decide which leg to limp on, so I stayed home.

--------------
Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe. - Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 6:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(IAJeff @ Nov. 11 2012, 8:24 pm)
Is there a quilt pad combination that you could advice for the beginner that is frugal to try? I guess that is my first start with research. Thanks for any help that you can offer.

Well sometimes you can find used quilts here:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin....orum=19

I waited to find my first quilt at an end-of-season sale and then waited until the next year to use it. That is probably best if you aren't sure you will like it.

Quilts usually retain their value if you take care of them though. So you wont lose half your investment if you have to sell it. I think I got my first Ultra 20 on sale for 159.00 and sold it at the site above for 120.00 a year later. I have never sold any of my other quilts though. (I gave one away...)

As far as a pad, I have to say that the Big Agnes IAC is more comfortable to lay on than the NeoAirs, although the All Season is about the same. (I am talking about the feel of the top shell material.)

Too bad you're not 5' tall. I could hook you up. ;-)

Here are a couple places with good prices if you have to go new and don't want to shell out a lot.

http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/revelationx.html

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop....-quilts

A couple of new players are hitting the scene too. Therm-a-Rest and Brooks Range will both be offering quilts next year. I think BR comes out in Feb and the Therm-a-Rest line is in January. I don't know what the pricing will be yet but as they are going to be mass produced they may be reasonable. You won't need one until next spring/summer, right?

--------------
 Post Number: 11
skinewmexico Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 2:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I thought you were a fan of the Exped Synmat UL7, Ray? Or am I just dreaming that? Or is it the downmat?

--------------
Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe. - Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 3:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have never used one Ski. I have a 1st gen Exped DownMat 9, but other than it I have never had any of their other pads. In the old days I was all Therm-a-Rest self-inflators, probably 5 models through the years. And then big on the Big Agnes IAC when it came out. Now NeoAirs.

I applied to test the new BA Q-Core pad just because the construction and fabric looked like it would be great for quilt use, but did not get selected.

--------------
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 8:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yep you are right about timing, next spring will work. I will pour over that information and see if I can come up with a plan.
12 replies since Nov. 11 2012, 7:55 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply GoLite Ultralite quilts
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions