2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Keen Klamath?, Had to send my Siskiyous back< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.
A different kind of rebel...

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 8:29 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd worn my Siskiyous for a couple of weeks through some pretty nasty stuff, including Sandy and the subsequent nor'easter, and they did me well. Got a good deal on STP, too. I liked them for the first week, though the arch on my right foot felt funny. Got to the point where it hurt to walk more than a quarter mile. Thought it was break-in, but no. They're going back.

Lately I saw that they recommend a half size up, but I don't think that was there when I ordered. Maybe they had enough people making a stink.

Anyway, I'm looking at the Klamath. Anyone have experience with them?

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
SmokeyBear Search for posts by this member.
I know shoe-fu

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 8:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have the Oregon PCT which is built on the same platform (same outsole and midsole, different upper). I bought a pair of Klamanths a while ago but ended up returning them because the tongue on one was defective (weird crease) and I wanted the higher collar on the Oregon PCT.

The klamanth will be a big step up from the siskiyous in terms of underfoot support and are notably stiffer, thought still with good forefoot flex. The leather uppers look and feel nice overall (despite my tongue issues which were almost certainly just a one-off issue). The outsole is not nearly as grippy as I'd like, big lugs that are soft but don't bite well.

Size-wise Keen recommends a half size up in the klamanth model (they don't for all their footwear, and some even fit a little large). I bought a half size up in my oregon PCTs - I might have been able to get away with my measured size, but I have pretty low volume feet (with wide toes and skinny heels). So I found that the toe room was ideal in a half-size up for me, but that going up a half size added too much volume elsewhere.

The Oregon PCT has a LOT of volume around the heel and ankle, but is low volume in the forefoot. The Klamanth has the same forefoot but is somewhat lower volume in the heel/ankle area in comparison. But still a bit on the high volume side. The low volume in the toes is why they recommend people size up, not because they are short (maybe just a touch, but not much if at all).

Overall I do really like my ORegon PCTs but had to pad them out to make them fit. They're nice and waterproof but sweatbags. And, they're not terribly light overall. The Klamanths will be similar I'm sure.

Good luck.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
1 replies since Nov. 12 2012, 8:29 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Keen Klamath?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions