2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Sleeping bag system, What do you use?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Dabrador Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 10:25 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In a thread below, I got some great advice on how to reduce a clammy feeling while sleeping at night. Bottom line, I was using the wrong sleeping bag for the conditions.

That got me thinking about the best sleeping bag system. Right now, I have a Marmot Pinnacle bag that's rated at 15 degrees. Combined with my Exped SynMat 7 pad, I can personally use that bag to conditions down to -5 and be comfortable. I've already experienced the upper limit to be about 25 to 30 degrees before I start to sweat and feel clammy. I'd like to get a new bag that's rated at ~40 degrees to handle the upper limits of my hiking. Here's what I'm thinking:

-5 to 25 degrees: Marmot Pinnacle
25 to 55 degrees: New bag
55+ degrees: proper clothing and/or a simple blanket

I'd love some advice for the last two items above: a 40 degree sleeping bag and a blanket.

What do all of you use for these conditions?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 11:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A 25f rated quilt, pads (r values 2.5 and 5, plus a torso length ccf to,add to either) and a base later of appropriate weight so i always have dry clothes to sleep in. Also, staying hydrated and eating well playa a big.part. With the hamkock  i will go with Two 25f quilts  very toasty indeed.

If temps are expected to be lower than 20 i have a 0 degree bag and an exped downmat 9, and i am not afraid o use it...

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 3
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 11:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you like sleeping bags something like a Phantom 32 may be able to take you from 30 F (with some clothing help) to 50 F if spread open like a quilt. That is what I used to do myself. Now I have a summer quilt that weighs 9.75 oz that I take once temps are around 40 for lows.

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 4
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 12:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use a +40 degree Golite Featherlite bag year round. I supplement with a LandsEnd Down jacket and Smartwool merino wool base top, two pair of fleece pants and mid-weight thermals, and down booties with Winter weight Smartwools to reach 0 degrees. I use a Prolite Plus 3/4 mattress combined with a full length mattress and my backpack under my legs to reach those temps. I have an OR advanced bivy that I can use to reach lower temps (about a 15 degree flex with the side effect of capturing moisture - can't do for extended time) if needed.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 1:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I see that I need to swear off posting on the phone. Geeze, what a horrible post.

--------------
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 6
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 1:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AlmostThere @ Nov. 13 2012, 10:01 am)
I see that I need to swear off posting on the phone. Geeze, what a horrible post.

I figured you were just drunk again...

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 7
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 1:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a 40* Western Mountaineering Mitylite bag and also a 40* Underground quilt that weighs about 16 ounces.  I use the UGQ mostly, and save the WM bag as a loaner or for the wife.  I use a Neo Air large for my pad.

When it gets too warm, I sleep on top of the pad, and kick the quilt off completely.  Beauty of a quilt is that it can be opened and it really doesn't get too warm until it is about 60*.  Anything above that and I am probably just sleeping in shorts and a T.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 8
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 2:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well I use a MH Phantom 32 down bag for warmer temps and a Phantom 0 down bag for colder temps. Plus I wear different weights of base layers depending on the temps. For a pad I use a BA IAC all year and add a CCF pad when it gets colder. I pretty much use both of the bags as quilts. Plus I use a stocking hat and a Buff as a balaclava.
 Post Number: 9
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 2:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For really warm  and humid night time temps I use a twin size sheet that I've cut down some. My wife uses a bag liner.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 3:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Nov. 13 2012, 1:25 pm)

(AlmostThere @ Nov. 13 2012, 10:01 am)

I figured you were just drunk again...

That would only have been a reasonable assumption twice in the past decade.

I have been known to commit horrendous typos while caffeine deprived, however... or when very distracted by beautiful young men with backpacking gear.

What were we talking about?

--------------
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 3:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AlmostThere @ Nov. 13 2012, 12:01 pm)

whata yu talk.bout.

--------------
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 3:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AlmostThere @ Nov. 13 2012, 2:21 pm)
beautiful young men with backpacking gear.

Hmm, nope... nope... ah, Check! ;-)

--------------
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 3:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(rayestrella @ Nov. 13 2012, 3:46 pm)

(AlmostThere @ Nov. 13 2012, 2:21 pm)
beautiful young men with backpacking gear.

Hmm, nope... nope... ah, Check! ;-)

You seriously need to send me the recipe for your trail margaritas.

And more pictures.  :;):

--------------
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 14
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 6:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just explained my sleeping bag system in the quilt thread.   There are a lot of people that have only ever slept inside of sleeping bags and merely used zippers for temperature control.   Try using a sleeping bag blanket style atop a pad and it can handle much warmer temps.   If sticking one's legs and feet out in the air is too cool while keeping them inside is too warm, simply put them into some clothing like a t-shirt inside parka while wearing socks.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
13 replies since Nov. 13 2012, 10:25 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Sleeping bag system
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions