2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Help!  Short Torso, High Hips, backpack suggestions< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
WanderinPat Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 8:04 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So, here's my problem.  

Guys at REI have pointed out that I have high hipbones, but a short torso.   I also have a good-size gut.

I want to find a good pack for backpacking... I  have a good pack for day hiking, which is what I've been doing most of my life.  But, next summer, I want to backpack around the "Flat Tops Wilderness" in Colorado

I tried a Kelty Coyote... the hip belt is great, but the straps dont fit at it's lowest setting.  They are way too wide ... The chest strap cuts across my neck.  

I have another pack, an Eberlestock DragonFly, that fits the same way.  

The straps come down across the shoulder ... way too wide apart.  

I've considered getting an Osprey medium, and put a large belt on it.   (this was suggested  by an REI guy)...

I've been told that Granite Gear is also very adjustable.

Any suggestions?  Please don't suggest that I lose the gut.  I'm 60, have been hiking all my life.  I'm ALWAYS trying to lose it.

Thanks in advance,

Pat

--------------
stuff to do,
we do the stuff
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 8:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You could get a custom pack made. While not cheap, the cost isn't out of line with a top-line pack.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 9:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I actually have thought of that ...

in regard to that I googled custom backpack, and found "McHale Packs"

When men are overweight and have more than just a bit of a belly, a hipbelt cannot grab the upper part of the pelvis, and the pack MUST be worn lower. This would represent a compromised fit, and less hip loading performance from any brand pack can be expected with interference with leg lift movement and circulation. This is less of a problem for overweight women it seems. One of the greatest denials of the pack industry in the relationship between physical fitness and backpack performance and is one of the factors that drives the UL pack industry.

So, this quote is from McHale Packs,  a custom maker of backpacks.  

Hmmm.... interesting.

So, until I lose the gut, I'm going to have to go with a lower-riding hipbelt.   That's what I've BEEN doing.

Thanks!

--------------
stuff to do,
we do the stuff
 Post Number: 4
rodwha Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 10:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I, too, have a short torso, and have had problems finding a large (65 liter +) pack that fits.
Look at Dueter. I compared it to the Kelty Coyote, which I was impressed with BTW, and found the Dueter to feel much better made. REI sells them at a reasonable price.
Their packs are once size fits most IIRC.

--------------
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day
 Post Number: 5
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 10:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WanderinPat @ Nov. 14 2012, 6:45 am)
I actually have thought of that ...

in regard to that I googled custom backpack, and found "McHale Packs"

When men are overweight and have more than just a bit of a belly, a hipbelt cannot grab the upper part of the pelvis, and the pack MUST be worn lower. This would represent a compromised fit, and less hip loading performance from any brand pack can be expected with interference with leg lift movement and circulation. This is less of a problem for overweight women it seems. One of the greatest denials of the pack industry in the relationship between physical fitness and backpack performance and is one of the factors that drives the UL pack industry.

So, this quote is from McHale Packs,  a custom maker of backpacks.  

Hmmm.... interesting.

So, until I lose the gut, I'm going to have to go with a lower-riding hipbelt.   That's what I've BEEN doing.

Thanks!

Dan McHale knows his stuff. He is a pack guru in the industry.

My recommendation: Get your torso measured "correctly" from Dan's instructions on his site and give him a call. Ask him what your "real" options are. He could suggest several manufacturers/pack styles that may fit you better than what you've got.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 6
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 11:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

High Sierra has one line of packs with a huge waste belt and fully adjustable toros.  I have the Sentinel 65.  Also in this line are the Appalachain 75 and Long Trail 90.  the Explorer 55 is also in that same line but it has a slightly shorter belt.

You can get more detailed information at their website, but their packs are sold at large discounts off msrp at ebags, sierra trading post, backcounty.com and other outdoor discounters.

http://hssc.com/product....20BAGS#

I tried to buy one of their belts to use with a Kelty, but High sierra doesn't sell the belts separately.  If something happens to the belt they require that you return the entire bag and the send you a new bag.
 Post Number: 7
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 11:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've never heard of "high hipbones." Interesting.

I also have a very short torso. After going through a long series of Gregory and Mountainsmith packs, I finally went with Osprey because it's as adjustable and customizable as a pack can get.

Take a look at the Osprey Aether 70 http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/product/mens/aether_70_1

It's available in four sizes, so you start by choosing the size that's closest to your torso length. Then, the torso adjusts up or down several inches for a closer fit.

Next, the hipbelt and harness are available in five sizes. Mix and match them any way you want.

If you think you need more padding on the hipbelt and harness, you can even upgrade those to beefier versions. Personally I prefer the standard.

I think it's just about impossible to not find the right fit in the Osprey Aether. Osprey are very nice folks to work with. They will swap out the components for you free of charge and will work with you until you get the right fit.

As for the shoulder strap design, cheaper packs tend to have wide, straight straps with foam that compacts fairly quickly. On a better pack the straps will be contoured to follow the shape of your chest. They might have dual-density foam---dense for load carrying and soft for cushioning.

I spent a lot of money before deciding to spend more and get a good pack. Save yourself some money and hassle and get a good pack in the beginning.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 5:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TrailTramper @ Nov. 14 2012, 9:19 am)
I've never heard of "high hipbones." Interesting.

{major snip}

I spent a lot of money before deciding to spend more and get a good pack. Save yourself some money and hassle and get a good pack in the beginning.

Hi, thanks to everybody for their replies:

@TrailTramper ... re: "high hipbones"... well, I've had them since I was born.   There's an interesting discussion on the MacHale website in their section on fitting.  

re: spending money for a good pack:  never been a problem.  The last pack I bought cost $400 ... not afraid to spend the $$$ ...

@Tigger... will follow your advice.  I hope I didn't cast aspersions on him.   I didn't mean to.  

Thanks again,

--------------
stuff to do,
we do the stuff
 Post Number: 9
greenfeet Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 10:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm built the same way.

Osprey atoms 50 is the most comfortable pack I have ever worn. Fits and moves nicely. For me anyway.
 Post Number: 10
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 10:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The most adjustable pack I've ever had/seen anywhere has been an Aarn. They won't have those in stores, usually, at least I've never seen them.

I have a Granite Gear that works great - GG will swap out any straps/belt you find doesn't work for you - but not all of their packs are adjustable. It depends on the kind of frame they're using for the pack.

Osprey Atmos and other "ultralight" packs similar to it are not adjustable at all, can't swap anything, so if the pack doesn't fit right, it doesn't fit - no options. Try them out with weight in and get one somewhere with a great return policy, if you try one at all - it seems to run 50-50, love-hate with those. I really liked Osprey packs. They simply hated me - torture and mayhem trying to hike more than a mile with them. Bruises, soreness, and pain.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 11
FnAskippy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 5:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Nov. 14 2012, 8:23 am)
You could get a custom pack made. While not cheap, the cost isn't out of line with a top-line pack.

Customs aren't necessarily expensive.
http://rivendellmountainworks.com/packs.html

--------------
The movie is over. You should leave NOW

"When you shop, you're really voting for the kind of world you want."
Gary Hershberg
10 replies since Nov. 14 2012, 8:04 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Help!  Short Torso, High Hips
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions