2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: All Purpose Pack Knife, what's in your pack?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
TWinAlbany Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 6:36 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looking for an all purpose pack knife and was wondering what ya'll carry in yours? Show pics if you gottem!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
skinewmexico Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 7:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

On occasion, I carry a $3 Forschner paring knife. But usually just my small Gerber Paraframe.

--------------
Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe. - Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 3
Arizona Search for posts by this member.
Valhalla, I am coming

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 7:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For 12 or 13 dollars you can get a Mora Companion at Ragweed Forge and it is a real all around using knife. They are real cutters and slicers. You can get one in carbon or Sandvik 12c27 stainless that cuts just as well. They eat through wood like crazy.

We do a lot of food prep so I always take my paring knife for the culinary chores.

Mora and Opinel make some real working favorites. They are solid tools.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 7:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I really like the looks of that Mora knife.
 Post Number: 5
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 8:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I keep a Gerber Paraframe clipped in my pocket when fishing or backpacking for quick access.  My daily carry is a Victorinox Tinker, about to be replaced mby a Victorinox Deluxe Tinker.  All the usual SAK stuff with pliers and scissors.  Probably the most useful thing I own.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 6
Fatpacking Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 9:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have the same Mora...very nice knife for the money. I don't find a need to buy knives that cost many times that amount...even though I do like knives. I also EDC a Spyderco Persistence....another very nice budget knife.

Post Number: 7
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 9:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I either carry the Gerber Ultimate survival,
Ultimate Survival
Modified to strap to my pack instead of a belt.
Or a smaller Gerber scout, depending on if I'm worried about weight or not.
Generally I like a big hefty blade though.
 Post Number: 8
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 9:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Had this one for a while now. Good hand feel and fit. Useful especially for shorter tips with more from scratch food prep.

http://forums.backpacker.com/cgi-bin....2004392
 Post Number: 9
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 9:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A Spyderco for me...

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 9:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was looking at the Spyderco Green Endura with a straight edge too. That knife looks very capable. Does anyone have any experience with the Light My Fire by Mora?
 Post Number: 11
greenfeet Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 10:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tiny key chain sized Swiss army in the first aid kit.
Larger Swiss army for use. Climber model I think.
Usually one other. Leatherman, or spyderco delica, or a benchmade folder as a backup.

Ok, all you hyper ultra lighters go ahead and hate.
 Post Number: 12
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 11:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(greenfeet @ Nov. 14 2012, 10:54 pm)
Tiny key chain sized Swiss army in the first aid kit.
Larger Swiss army for use. Climber model I think.
Usually one other. Leatherman, or spyderco delica, or a benchmade folder as a backup.

Ok, all you hyper ultra lighters go ahead and hate.

Like my MSR sweetwater guardian filter, ultralighters  are always borrowing my knife.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 13
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 11:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I carry a small fixed blade CRKT and a single edged razor blade.  Most trips I only use the razor blade.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 11:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Single edged razor blade huh? That's a new one for me. :)
 Post Number: 15
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 11:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Swiss Army tinker does it for me.  I always have a single edge razor blade in my first aide kit.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 16
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 11:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I used to find the pliers on the Victorinox Super Tinker quit handy when I had an external frame pack. Still carry it sometimes out of nostalgia.
 Post Number: 17
SnidelyWhiplash Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 1:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I carry either a Victornox pen knife, or a Gerber Skeletool.  The skeletool is basically a blade and pliers, it lets me leave my pot handle at home.  It does weigh about 5 oz though, so I leave it home a lot of the time.  It's my every day carry.
 Post Number: 18
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 10:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I carry a Gerber Paraframe everyday and while BPing. Though that Mora looks awfully sweet.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 19
eric1981 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 11:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TWinAlbany @ Nov. 14 2012, 9:53 pm)
I was looking at the Spyderco Green Endura with a straight edge too. That knife looks very capable. Does anyone have any experience with the Light My Fire by Mora?

If you are looking at the Endura or the Delica, get one with the emerson wave feature. It's the fastest opening one handed design there is.
I love it.
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 2:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, after reading many reviews and watching a lot of youtube videos, I went with the Light My Fire/Mora knife. I ordered one in orange for my son and one in green for myself.

Still thinking of a Spyderco for a backup!
 Post Number: 21
eric1981 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 2:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Can't go wrong with mora. they are great for the money. And you can never have too many knives :)
 Post Number: 22
KC8QVO Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 9:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Something to consider with knives is the steel they are made out of and how you intend to sharpen it. To that point, always maintain your knife edges and they will always be there for you. Don't wait until it is duller than a butter knife and re-profile, touch the edges up routinely and they will serve you well.

I have a few sharpening methods - ceramic hone for quick/easy touch-ups, an Edge Pro Apex complete set up, and I've added to it with balsa strops and diamond hones (down to 1 micron). The best method I have found for putting hair-splitting edges on blades, though, is a paper wheel set up for a bench grinder - made by Razor Sharp. I have the 8" set and they work great. I can sharpen 4 normal knives (kitchen knives, fixed blades of normal steels, folders, etc) in the time it takes me to do one on the Edge Pro. Though, I do like to profile on the Edge Pro (flat grinds, precise angles) and buff on the slotted paper wheel to finish off.

The harder the steel the longer they will stay sharp, in general. This also makes the blades harder to sharpen, so keep that in mind.

My every day knife is a Bark River Gunny in CPM-3V steel (it is a mini version of their ever-popular Bravo, easier EDC but still a very capable knife). The blade holds an incredible edge, but it is also a challenge to sharpen. The edges I can put on most of my other knifes on the wheel set up/bench grinder take diamond hones to get on the 3V steel - but it stays.

Fixed blades are definitely the way to go. They are more bulky, but if you are using your knife for hard work they are stronger and you don't have to worry about them collapsing.

I have a few ESEE knifes. I had an Izula II for a couple years, great knife. I bought an ESEE-6 with the regular blade as my heavy-duty chore knife - I can split firewood with it. I got an ESEE-3 with a regular blade on it and the blaze orange G10 scales. Its an awesome knife - if I had to pick one knife in a reasonable budget the ESEE-3 would be it. It is big enough it can do real work, full tang blade, it is small enough you can use it for food prep, and the handle is big enough you can have a real solid hold on it.

The drawback to the ESEE knives is the steel quality. It takes a bit of work to maintain the edges and the carbon steel does rust - so be careful with it. This is the reason all their knives are painted. My Izula II was used pretty hard and several times I chipped the blade. It took several sharpening sessions to work the chips out, but I didn't go back to square 1 to re-profile the edge and knock them out right away. It wasn't that big of a hindrance to my use of the knife so I just let the chips wear out with time. Overall their knives are great, and affordable at that.

For food prep - Khun Rikon makes some nice knives with non-stick coatings that come with sheaths. I have a set of their paring knives. I took the blades to my slotted paper wheel to work up the edge and they are scary sharp - slicing up onions and garlic is super easy, but watch your finger tips! You'll slice right through one before you realize it. These paring knives are also very light. For food prep they are fine, but confine them to just that as the blades are quite weak. Don't expect one to be your all-around camp knife as its long ways off of that capability.

--------------
Steve
 Post Number: 23
onepaddlejunkie Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 11:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I love knives and own a hundred or so, which is a problem when you’re trying to decide what IS the ideal knife to carry backpacking.  I guess I would say, “It depends”.  If I know I’m going fishing, I bring a Leatherman Squirt PS4.  If I actually plan to clean and eat any fish that have tried to commit suicide by fisherman, I need an additional knife to perform that function.  You really don’t want to try to clean all the fish guts, blood and slime out of a folding knife so what fixed blade knife do you want?  I like the Rapala Fish’n Fillet knife with the four inch blade because it works and because of its light weight.  If I want that fish cleaner to perform other functions, I may want to swap it out for a paring knife.  My current favorite paring knife is a Furi Rachael Ray Gusto-Grip 4-Inch Paring Knife with blade guard.  Good steel and a great handle. Make sure you get the one that has this on the blade:  “CrMov Stainless Steel 100448”.  I have also used the Cold Steel Bird and Trout Knife and while I like it a lot, it’s not the best knife in the world for cleaning fish, but, at 0.8 oz it is very light, the Aus 8A steel is ok, and it does come with a nice little neck sheath.
If I don’t plan on doing any fishing, I may have just purchased my new partner.  I bought a Spyderco Ladybug 3 with the ZDP 189 blade steel, then, after beginning to worry about all that getting in touch with my feminine side, I bought a Spyderco Manbug with the same ZDP 189 steel.  Now I feel safe in my manhood.  At 0.7 oz and a Rockwell hardness of 64Rc it should hold an edge for a very long time.
I like to cook with fire in my Ti-Tri Caldera Cone and if I want to go heavy to baton wood or fight off a grizzly bear, I carry a Benchmade 151 Fixed Griptilian.  With a blade length of a little over four inches and 154 CM blade steel, it can handle most chores and keep a pretty good edge.
If I’ll be fighting off zombies during my hiking trip, I’ll use my Cold Steel Trail Master or my Knives of Alaska Xtreme BushMaster.  Both are big enough to take a zombie head clean off.  If there will be lots of zombies, I may bring a machete.
 Post Number: 24
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 11:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Benchmade 943 with a plain edge and satin finish.  Very similar to their 940.  Can't remember why I got the 943.  May have been a coin flip, or it was less expensive.
 Post Number: 25
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 5:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have more knives than I'll ever need - mostly of the Gerber Paraframe/LST-sized kind. Those are about all I ever would need, actually, for most purposes.

A couple of years back, while browsing in one of our local Asian food markets, I discovered the small bamboo/plastic handled paring knives that most of these shops carry. They are much better at food preparation, if you're going to be doing anything more complicated than usual, but the best I've found so far for cooking, though substantially heavier, are the short knives used by the Japanese for cutting fish, boning and such, called "deba hocho". I bought a couple of these:

http://www.amazon.com/dp....ode=asn
when they were on sale at Amazon last year (they seem to be unavailable now). They have a light handle of poly/bamboo blend, the blade is, like much Japanese cutlery, sharpened on only one side (so they're left & right-handed), and the blade is substantial enough to do most anything cooking-wise you might like. Lots of room for your knuckles while chopping and cutting.

Otherwise, all I ever need is a Gerber mini LST or something similar.
 Post Number: 26
Dennis Waite Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 5:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've numerous Mora knives; I like them all. This is my most recent purchase.

Light My Fire Mora

--------------
Dennis Waite
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 5:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's the knife I just got my son and I. Got one in green and one in orange.
26 replies since Nov. 14 2012, 6:36 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply All Purpose Pack Knife
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions