2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Hillerberg< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 9:49 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looking at a 4 season tent and trying to justify the expense . . . somebody talk me out of blowing all that money.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
DukeFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 9:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One tent for all seasons? Why not?
 Post Number: 3
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 10:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(no_granola @ Nov. 14 2012, 9:49 pm)
Looking at a 4 season tent and trying to justify the expense . . . somebody talk me out of blowing all that money.

When did you start camping?  :D

What else are you going to do with the money, anyway?  Provide for the dog's education?

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 4
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 12:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You get what you pay for.  Go for it.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 5
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 2:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's too cold to get out of your sleeping bag in winter, so as long as you're stuck wherever camped the first night, you might as well be stuck in a nice tent.
 Post Number: 6
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 5:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You dorks are supposed to be talking me out of this!

--------------
 Post Number: 7
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 5:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Which one are you looking at.

I have a Nallo 2 GT, Soulo, and Allak. I Love them all but use the Nallo the least even though it has the most room with a massive vestibule.

They are all too heavy for 4 season use in my opinion. My rainbow is the go to tent for most solo trips, But if I expect cold I grab the Soulo.

Well made easy to setup but if bought new can drain a bank account quickly. I purchased all three of mine of off BPL some NWT but still hundreds cheaper

That reminds me I need to sell the Nallo.

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 5:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(no_granola @ Nov. 15 2012, 5:15 am)
You dorks are supposed to be talking me out of this!

OK.

"Stop"
"Stop"
"Don't"

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 9
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 10:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

4 season tents are really only 1 season tents. Who wants to carry a bomb shelter when a tarp will do?

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 10
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 10:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If I were buying for the winter season, I would not hesitate to purchase one of these gems. However, I have four children and it ain't gonna happen till there are only two left.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 11
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 10:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hell, do it.  If we ever camp in the winter again I'll know where to beg for shelter when my 3 season tent goes cablamo.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
 Post Number: 12
Arizona Search for posts by this member.
Valhalla, I am coming

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 12:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

if you are flush with the funds, they are some of the great backcountry fortresses. You don't have to worry about weather quite as much. Ours has shrugged off 75mph winds with ease. Customer service is very good. Petra usually answers the phone.

to answer the second issue of your post; Don't do it, you will want to be backpacking all the time and once you start getting to those lost and hidden shangri'las out there, you will not do the yard work and the other chores because all you will be doing is planing and executing your next adventure.  :D  

How's that for pro and con?  :D
 Post Number: 13
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 12:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You don't want a Hilleberg Tent.  You just want to blow your money on one.

So buy one for me instead.  You're welcome.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 14
DustinTN Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 1:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Seems to me you saddled up to the bar asking the other patrons to dissuade you from having a beer.  Clever tactic of self deception. :)

If you've got the cash and need a winter tent, buy it.  I never regret paying more for a genuinely quality item, but I frequently regret buying something less than ideal just to save some money. Buying good gear when you can afford it is cheaper in the long run than buying lesser gear that you'll either tear up or get rid of later because it isn't what you really want to begin with.
 Post Number: 15
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 10:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(DustinTN @ Nov. 15 2012, 1:43 pm)
Seems to me you saddled up to the bar asking the other patrons to dissuade you from having a beer.

That's one thing he'll never do.   :laugh:
 Post Number: 16
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 10:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(no_granola @ Nov. 14 2012, 6:49 pm)

Hillerberg tents are copycat rip offs. You really will be wasting all that money!

Try one of these, #GetTheRealThing

You're welcome. :)

ETA: Are the conditions you'll use it in bombshelter-worthy? To use a Seinfeldism? Over sheltering carries costs in money and burden after all...
 Post Number: 17
FamilyGuy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 10:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Nov. 15 2012, 10:20 am)
If I were buying for the winter season, I would not hesitate to purchase one of these gems. However, I have four children and it ain't gonna happen till there are only two left.

Two left?  Are you selling them off?

:p

--------------
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."
 Post Number: 18
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 11:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here's TNB's discussion

Nothing gear related should be without a TNB link.

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 19
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 7:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Nov. 15 2012, 10:20 pm)

(no_granola @ Nov. 14 2012, 6:49 pm)

Hillerberg tents are copycat rip offs. You really will be wasting all that money!

Try one of these, #GetTheRealThing

You're welcome. :)

ETA: Are the conditions you'll use it in bombshelter-worthy? To use a Seinfeldism? Over sheltering carries costs in money and burden after all...

So think I should skip the knock off, eh?  But then my tent wont match my Joakleys.

--------------
 Post Number: 20
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 8:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(swimswithtrout @ Nov. 15 2012, 10:32 pm)
Nothing gear related should be without a TNB link.

Yeah,

Sometimes I wonder what forum he is an expert on now. Probably something like Amish Craft Network.

“So our digital translators got a letter today, well the 75th letter today, from The Amish Boy and he says that using a Japanese saw to cut dovetail joints is stupid (ooh, such strong language) as it will result in slanted cuts…”

;-)

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
19 replies since Nov. 14 2012, 9:49 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Hillerberg
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions