2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Any Kelty Yukon owners here?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Altarboy Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 11:40 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a Tioga 5500 which is roughly the size of a Chevy Suburban. I love it, but I'd like a smaller version too . I always liked the looks of the Trekker , but now its only available in a blood red color (petty I know). Is the Yukon 50 liter too small for a 5'10" guy?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ogg Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 1:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Measure your torso, or have someone measure it for you. Even though the pack is marketed as a "transitional" pack, between youth and adult sizes (think Boy Scouts), it is rated for torso lengths of 16-21". Mostly likely your torso fits somewhere áin the higher end of that range but whether or not the pack is comfortable when adjusted to its fullest length can only be determined by you after trying it on.

The Yukon lacks load lifter straps that the Tioga and Trekker packs have. I've used an older Kelty external frame pack that lacks the load lifter straps and currently use newer Tioga and Trekker packs that do have the load lifter straps. The load lifter straps make a big difference in comfort, especially with heavier loads. As fond as I am of my classic Kelty pack, I'll probably never go back to it unless I can figure out to add load lifter straps to it.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
AggieHiker92 Search for posts by this member.
Hiking with kids in tow adds a new dimension to the Wonders of Nature

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 1:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Yukon is really for 12-18 year-old boys transitioning from 5'2" to 5'8".  Any taller than that, you'll best be served by a Trekker.  I have one of each that I'm using for transitioning for my boys as they grow taller, and my 6'2" boy can use the Trekker just fine.  

Really it all dependes on your torso, as stated above.  Both are good, solid packs that will carry what you need without being crazy-big, like the Tioga.
Trekkers can be found on websites as marked down last-year's models which are not red.  Just google "Kelty Trekker sale" and see what comes up.

Happy hunting.

--------------
"Though I've belted you and flayed you / By the living Gawd that made you / You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din." - Rudyard Kipling
 Post Number: 4
AggieHiker92 Search for posts by this member.
Hiking with kids in tow adds a new dimension to the Wonders of Nature

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 2:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here is a Trekker on Gear Trade that isn't red; and the price ain't too shabby either. Don't worry, I'm not selling anything; just interested in helping somebody out.

--------------
"Though I've belted you and flayed you / By the living Gawd that made you / You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din." - Rudyard Kipling
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 9:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks Guys. Good info. Guess I'll embrace the ugly color and let Santa know what I want.
 Post Number: 6
ogg Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 1:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The more recent Tioga and Trekker models use the same telescoping H-frame, they just have slightly different hip-belts and shoulder straps and of course the Tioga pack bag is significantly bigger. For example, I have a '08 Trekker and an '07 Tioga; the frames are identical. I am fairly certain that they have been using the same frames for the past 10 years or so. You could try calling Kelty and see if they will sell you a a Trekker packbag in your preferred color. I had once called Kelty to inquire about purchasing a new packbag for my 70's era frame. They offered to sell me a bag but suggested that I could buy a new Trekker on sale from Sierra Trading Post at that time for about the same price, which is what I did. So, based on that experience I can say that they may be willing to help you out if you give them a call.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2012, 6:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey Aggie hiker that's a sweet deal on that one. I'll see if Santa (Mrs Altarboy) will scoop it up for me. I've been pretty good. Thanks All.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 6:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ordered it. Happy!
7 replies since Nov. 15 2012, 11:40 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Any Kelty Yukon owners here?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions