2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: 2013 REI products< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Dabrador Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 10:29 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As I was searching for some information on an REI tent, I stumbled across the following:

http://www.rei.com/pdf/features/gearapparel/Spring-2013-lookbook.pdf

That new hybrid sleeping pad looks interesting. Not sure about the sleeping bag with 800 fill down on top and Primaloft on the bottom.

It's nice knowing what new products are coming or being revised. Makes a purchase now easier to do.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 10:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hybrid sleeping pad? You mean the air filled bumper tubes on the edges? Doesn't look terribly new to me. Big Agnes beat them to it last year.

Sorry, but Primaloft isn't magic - if it's wet it'll be cold and uncomfortable same as any other insulation. All-conditions is an exaggeration.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 3
SmokeyBear Search for posts by this member.
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 10:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The nice thing about primaloft is that it does stand up to clamminess better than down without losing loft and seems to pass moisture better too. I have a prima-loft jacket I really, really love. Kinda more than my down pullover. Heresy, I know...
 Post Number: 4
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 5:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SmokeyBear @ Nov. 19 2012, 10:36 pm)
The nice thing about primaloft is that it does stand up to clamminess better than down without losing loft and seems to pass moisture better too. I have a prima-loft jacket I really, really love. Kinda more than my down pullover. Heresy, I know...

Since DriDown or Down Tek is coming to market soon, this may be a moot point. Some jackets already have it. Should not be too long before it takes the place of all down I suspect

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 9:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a Montbell Thermawrap and a Marmot down jacket.

The down jacket is the same loft/weight and keeps me warmer... otherwise it's a toss up.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 6
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 12:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AlmostThere @ Nov. 19 2012, 10:41 am)
Hybrid sleeping pad? You mean the air filled bumper tubes on the edges? Doesn't look terribly new to me. Big Agnes beat them to it last year.

Even REI has an air pad already with bigger side rails, the Stratus.

And I think that is the pad Dabrador was referring to as the hybrid, but not the side-rail feature -- that new pad is supposed to be part self-inflating and part air. Doesn't sound appealing to me though.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 7
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 3:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Glad to see they've abandoned the yellow color on the Half Dome.
 Post Number: 8
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 4:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The new Flash 22 pack and the Primaloft sleeping pads look interesting, though on the latter I'm still looking at a "shorty" Xlite from Thermarest.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 9
FamilyGuy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 12:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AlmostThere @ Nov. 20 2012, 9:46 am)

I have a Montbell Thermawrap and a Marmot down jacket.

The down jacket is the same loft/weight and keeps me warmer... otherwise it's a toss up.

Unless it is wet.  Primaloft dries way quicker.  In fact, it will dry from just body heat alone as moisture is pushed out.  That doesn't happen with down.

--------------
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."
 Post Number: 10
FnAskippy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 5:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Down is useless down here. I'm sitting here with damp feet from the 40 mph wind, rain and 2000 % humidity.I'm a fleece kinda guy.Wearing my 17 year old Wyoming Woolens vest now.

--------------
The movie is over. You should leave NOW

"When you shop, you're really voting for the kind of world you want."
Gary Hershberg
9 replies since Nov. 19 2012, 10:29 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply 2013 REI products
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions