2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: What's on your Christmas list?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 3:47 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Curious what everyone is hoping for/expecting for Christmas.
I really have no clue...perhaps a MSR pocket rocket for those long mileage trips.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 4:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No gear, actually nothing at all on my list.  I am a geezer, so I finally have my kit in order, and am not buying any new stuff because I cannot live long enough to wear out what I already own.  Most of my current gear is better than what can be found at REI-like stores anyway.  WBBB, Rainshadow 2, Circuit, Western Mountaineering, etc...  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 3
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 4:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Nov. 19 2012, 4:04 pm)
No gear, actually nothing at all on my list.  I am a geezer, so I finally have my kit in order, and am not buying any new stuff because I cannot live long enough to wear out what I already own.  Most of my current gear is better than what can be found at REI-like stores anyway.  WBBB, Rainshadow 2, Circuit, Western Mountaineering, etc...  

I want all of Zeke's gear. :D

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 4
leadbelly2550 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 4:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i purchased my LL Bean Maine Hunting Shoes nearly 25 years ago.  most of the chain tread is no more, chunks of the liner of the rubber bottom have come loose and been pulled out over the years.  the leather uppers are still in fine shape.  I have been hinting around for a new pair.  interestingly, i found that they have introduced some changes to the traditional construction.  first, they make some with full grain bison leather, which in my experience is softer and easier to break in than full grain cowhide, but just as durable.  second, you can get the rubber bottom with a shank; mine clearly have no such support, are as flexible as a pair of docksiders.  third, some of them have brick-colored red soles, which is apparently the way Bean used to make them back in the day.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 4:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(leadbelly2550 @ Nov. 19 2012, 4:16 pm)
i purchased my LL Bean Maine Hunting Shoes nearly 25 years ago.  most of the chain tread is no more, chunks of the liner of the rubber bottom have come loose and been pulled out over the years.  the leather uppers are still in fine shape.  I have been hinting around for a new pair.  interestingly, i found that they have introduced some changes to the traditional construction.  first, they make some with full grain bison leather, which in my experience is softer and easier to break in than full grain cowhide, but just as durable.  second, you can get the rubber bottom with a shank; mine clearly have no such support, are as flexible as a pair of docksiders.  third, some of them have brick-colored red soles, which is apparently the way Bean used to make them back in the day.

I just tried them on in Freeport last weekend.  Didn't like them.  Just couldn't pull the trigger.   I did try on a pair at the Bass outlet. A knock off.  Fleece lined and way more comfy.  And 60 bucks.  But I still really wanted to like the bison hunters.  You can send yours back to bean ya know.  They will refurb them, I believe.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 6
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 4:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

World peace, my two front teeth, a longer fuse... ;-)

I would really like a new winter parka, but certainly don't need one. Just thinking about 950-fill down makes me realise I could drop at least two ounces. Ha.

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 7
skinewmexico Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 4:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I want a Pinarello Dogma with electronic shifting, but my wife said my engine wasn't good enough for a $16k bike.

--------------
Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe. - Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 8
leadbelly2550 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 5:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bad knees @ Nov. 19 2012, 4:21 pm)
I just tried them on in Freeport last weekend.  Didn't like them.  Just couldn't pull the trigger.   I did try on a pair at the Bass outlet. A knock off.  Fleece lined and way more comfy.  And 60 bucks.  But I still really wanted to like the bison hunters.  You can send yours back to bean ya know.  They will refurb them, I believe.

interesting.  what did you find uncomfortable about them? i wear mine (a) with a pair of custom orthotics and (b) with a mid-weight pair of merino socks.  was planning to do the same, if i'm fortunate enough to receive a new pair.
 Post Number: 9
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 5:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Some waterproof maps and an ice axe!!!

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 10
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 5:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hoping for peace on earth.  Not expecting it, though.  We've been naughty.
 Post Number: 11
Altarboy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 5:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

World peace, a Kelty Trekker(ordered) and a Jennfer Anniston action figure.
 Post Number: 12
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 6:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Altarboy @ Nov. 19 2012, 4:59 pm)
and a Jennfer Anniston action figure.

Might as well ask for an Instaflator too then...

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 6:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(leadbelly2550 @ Nov. 19 2012, 5:20 pm)

(bad knees @ Nov. 19 2012, 4:21 pm)

interesting.  what did you find uncomfortable about them? i wear mine (a) with a pair of custom orthotics and (b) with a mid-weight pair of merino socks.  was planning to do the same, if i'm fortunate enough to receive a new pair.

Just seemed like an empty shell.  I need a bit of arch  support and cushioning.  See my name.  They just didn't send me.  I really like them though.  Yea that doesn't make sense. I know.  I will get them sooner or later.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 14
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 7:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(EastieTrekker @ Nov. 19 2012, 2:28 pm)
an ice axe!!!

What size?

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 15
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 7:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I want to get my thesis done and I want someone to buy my house.

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 16
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 7:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wildlifenate @ Nov. 19 2012, 7:21 pm)
I want to get my thesis done and I want someone to buy my house.

I won't buy your house and you might not want me to write your thesis but I will send you a Christmas present if you change your avatar.    :)

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 17
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 7:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll be happy with snow.  Enough snow to use all that winter equipment I got last year but couldn't use because of the lack of snow.
 Post Number: 18
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 8:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Same as always.  Peace on Earth, good will toward men.  And a Congress that works together for the good of the nation.  

Oh, and some snow.  Lots of it.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 19
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 9:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(leadbelly2550 @ Nov. 19 2012, 1:16 pm)

With the leather uppers in fine shape they'll resole them.

http://www.llbean.com/llb....farm-cs

"At L.L.Bean, we help our customers "Reduce, Reuse, Resole." For a reasonable fee, we can extend the life of your L.L.Bean Boots. We can also repair many other products, including jackets, sleeping bags and tents. For details about repairs and our selection of replacement parts, please contact us at 800-341-4341.

Bean Boots can be rebuilt 3 times only. The boots need to be returned to our Repairs Department here in Maine.

Please clean the boots before you send them to us. Include a note in the package that provides your name, billing address, delivery address (if different), daytime telephone number and email address.

You can also include a check or a credit card number with expiration date for payment. The cost of replacing our traditional chain-tread rubber bottoms is $39.00 for non-insulated boots, $42.00 for Gore-Tex insulated and $43.00 for Thinsulate Insulated.

Please send them by USPS to:
L.L.Bean Repairs Dept
PO Box 1000
Freeport, ME 04032"
 Post Number: 20
IAJeff Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 9:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

More ice fishing gear. Can never have too much.
 Post Number: 21
TWinAlbany Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 10:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Optimus Crux Lite cooking kit.
 Post Number: 22
KC8QVO Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 10:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My list includes a Hammock Gear Incubator and Burrow set (bottom quilt/top quilt, respectively). I need to trim my insulation weight down, 9lbs worth is too much. The quilts should alleviate that by a long shot, albeit with a cost.

I am also looking at an Osprey Exos pack. I almost bought one this evening (local store did an after-hours 20% off member discount, but I didn't go). Thats OK - I can use the $$ for other things right now. The insulation will come first as that will be the biggest reduction in pack weight right there.

Over time I am sure I can come up with all kinds of things to fill out my gear wish-list for this Christmas.

--------------
Steve
 Post Number: 23
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 10:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Same as I asked for last year....Down pants and peace on earth.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 24
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 1:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Getting myself a roof rack for my bike and kayak...and a car to go with it. I rarely use 4WD, can cut my gas cost by 60%, and my Tundra's next oil change is at 250k miles, so it's about time for a second vehicle.
 Post Number: 25
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 2:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am a simple man with simple wants.
A bottle of Johnnie Walker will do me.
This one :
http://www.theshout.com.au/2012....UB.html
 Post Number: 26
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 9:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm w/Old Zeke...

but I have an eight year daughter old who may find some stuff under the tree...she really enjoys being in the woods or on the water with me.  I bought her a base layer w/thumbholes last year, (I LOVE thumbholes), and it has been her favorite piece as it's just like Daddy's.

hmmmm....I'm 53, she's 8....perhaps a small caliber handgun for me when I turn 60 and she is THINKING of possibly dating

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 27
Fatpacking Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 10:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

All my wants are pretty big ticket items, to me anyways. I think that the only things I don't feel guilty asking for is maybe a new Ti cookset and a stove. Not even a gas stove, something like a Triangia or Flat Cat. Everything else is too much to ask for so I'll get it my self over time. New tent, quilt, hiking boots, ect. Works out well though cause I finally got an REI credit card and it comes with a $100 REI gift card, so with that I'll get my gas stove setup  :D
 Post Number: 28
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 10:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(skinewmexico @ Nov. 19 2012, 4:46 pm)
I want a Pinarello Dogma with electronic shifting, but my wife said my engine wasn't good enough for a $16k bike.

Did you tell her it is not the size of the engine but the way you us it.

Would be a sweet ride

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 29
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 10:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I got myself a pair of down pants. Wore them a couple weeks ago and sparked another sale of down pants... really nice to stand around in the 20 something degrees frosty mornings encased in down. So I guess I already got a Christmas present...

I'd really like to find a good job. I have a job - the work is great, the bureaucracy sucks. Ideally I'd like a job where there's not the constant ongoing present threat of being laid off... do those exist anywhere anymore?

I'd like my own hot spring. Would be cool.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 30
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 1:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd really like to find a good job. I have a job - the work is great, the bureaucracy sucks. Ideally I'd like a job where there's not the constant ongoing present threat of being laid off... do those exist anywhere anymore?

I dunno...I've been self employed for over 30 years...my boss is a jerk

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
44 replies since Nov. 19 2012, 3:47 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply What's on your Christmas list?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions