2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Hiking Pants< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
stuthetraveler Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 10:15 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looking at a new pair of hiking pants and wanted to see if any of you folks had any brand/model you recommended?  

Thanks in advance!

--------------
Stu
www.stuthetraveler.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 10:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What season will they be used.

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 3
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 10:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Trail hiking or bushwhacking?

Do you care if they zip off to shorts?

Do you want cargo pockets?

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 4
stuthetraveler Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 10:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mostly just a three season pant.  Favorite times to hike are in the shoulder seasons when it's in the 60's during the day and a crisp 30's to 40's at night.  I prefer a pant... not the zip off deals.  Mostly trail hiking...

THANKS!

--------------
Stu
www.stuthetraveler.com
 Post Number: 5
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 11:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Check out the Marmot Scree. I'm sure there are other equivalent softshell pants, but these are what I'm familiar with, and the only long pants I've worn outdoors the last few years. Stretchy, breathable, water and wind resistant, durable, and the most comfortable pants I've ever worn.
 Post Number: 6
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 11:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a pair of Eddie Bauer convertibles that I really like.  They are the only brand that I've found that don't rub my legs at the zipper connection.  My Royal Robbins regular nylon blend long pants are my to go pants for hiking in cooler weather.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 7
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 11:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a pair of REI Mistral's (soft shell) that I really like.  They seem pretty comparable to the Marmot Scree mentioned above (though I've never used the Scree's), so maybe that gives you a couple pairs to think about with similar qualities (stretchy, breathable, water/wind resistant) I'd never wear them in the summer (I like a really lightweight pant or shorts then), but they'd work good for the temperature range you mentioned.

Edit: http://www.rei.com/product/815993/rei-mistral-pants-mens-30-inseam  They also come in a 32" inseam length

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 8
skinewmexico Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 11:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've gotten some decent pants from Craghoppers when they send a sale email. They do run a little small (no way I could be a little fat).

--------------
Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe. - Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 9
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 11:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

60's during the day equals shorts for me. I get too hot hiking in pants.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 10
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 11:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah that is Kilt weather still.

But, if you need pants then almost any of the brands will meet those needs. Like anything else its fit and features and those are different for each of us.

Seems they all fit differently so you have to experiment

I like prAna Stretch Zion Pants. You can find them on sale at REI often. They hold up well and have a built in belt plus belt loops if you want to have a belt

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 11
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 11:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eggs @ Nov. 20 2012, 11:43 am)
They hold up well and have a built in belt plus belt loops if you want to have a belt

That's actually one of the most important features for me.  There is nothing worse than pulling up your pants all day.

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 12
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 1:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I love  Exofficio pants during the warmer months and North Face pants in the cooler months, as they are thicker.
 Post Number: 13
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 5:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just got a pair of polyester/wool and a pair of 100 percent wool pants that fit, at the goodwill store. I have been looking for a long time and these had the right ticket on them. $2.50 each. I have been wearing the poly wool hiking the last cpl days and they feel good. I have read that lighter wool is cool min warm weather but I'll prob. stick with shorts. I have a pair of soft shell but it has to be pretty nasty out to wear them. Like every thing else it's what fits and you like.
 Post Number: 14
LiteMan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 5:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Nov. 20 2012, 11:31 am)
60's during the day equals shorts for me. I get too hot hiking in pants.

+1   I really like my 100 % Linen shorts, very breathable, dry pretty fast (not as fast as synthetics though), wick pretty good, have great odor control, weigh less than cotton (but more than synthetics), pretty durable and tough. I bought many of them already used and almost all of these are still going strong after years of use.  They are both warmer and cooler than cotton and many other fabrics, cooler when sweat is involved and warmer when it's not because they are hollow fibers.  

For pants, i usually wear Linen pants or Wool pants depending on how cold.  One pair of pants that i really like is a really odd mix of Silk, Wool, and Linen (something like 45%/35%/20%), found them at STP for pretty cheap.  For really cold weather, i have one pair of 80% baby alpaca and 20% sheeps wool pants.  Got a lot of the wool and linen pants used too.  I would like to try a wool/poly blend for increased durability and faster drying time, maybe something like 65% wool and 35% poly would probably be a nice blend.
 Post Number: 15
hiroshimajaro082 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 5:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a pair of Mountain Hardware Mesa convertibles that I swear by.  Great fit and very durable.  Good water resistance and quick drying.  Highly recommend the MW (on sale right now @ Moosejaw $49.99)  I had tried TNF Paramount Peaks in the past but the length always ran way too long even in the short size (I'm 5'8").  Also have a pair of Patagonia GI pants but they are very lightweight & seem very flimsy so they have been relegated to casual wear & travel pants.

--------------
"Some people feel the rain, while others just get wet."
 Post Number: 16
FnAskippy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 5:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The best pants you can buy, period, are AFTCO Blue Water. Nothing else come close.

--------------
The movie is over. You should leave NOW

"When you shop, you're really voting for the kind of world you want."
Gary Hershberg
 Post Number: 17
Dabrador Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 8:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Ex Officio Amphi Pant (and shorts) are the best pants I've found for backpacking and general hiking. Built in belt with a flat buckle that works great with a hipbelt, properly placed pockets that allow you to get to things when your pack is on, they dry extremely fast when they get wet and they stand up very well to scrapes in the backcountry.

If you're thinking of getting a pair, wait until early 2013. Recent versions did away with the built in mesh liner. Ex Officio has stated that they are bringing that back in the new version.
 Post Number: 18
onepaddlejunkie Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 12:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Couple of my favorites for what it’s worth:
For three season, Gramicci Quick Dry G Pants.  No zipper, no cargo pockets, no extra weight.
For winter, Arborwear Tech Pants.  7 oz nylon with a soft hand.  Has cargo pockets and a zipper so they do weigh more, but still love how they fit and feel.  I want to try a pair of their Ascender Pants, but haven’t been able to push the “order” button yet.  A little pricey.
 Post Number: 19
Fatpacking Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 12:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anyone just wear athletic "wind" pants? You can get them lined and unlined, usually have zippers or snaps at least up to the knee to get them off over shoes, fit on the looser side and are generally pretty comfortable. I have no idea on weight or water resistance but they are synthetic so I'd image at least they would be quick drying. I need some hiking pants myself and I saw this as a lower cost alternative mentioned on a youtube video so I wasn't sure the consensus. I am heading out to REI on Dec. 1 for a members only sale so I hope to maybe grab a pair that day, whether on sale or not.
18 replies since Nov. 20 2012, 10:15 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Hiking Pants
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions