2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: raichle boots, General info needed.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
BoulderCanyon Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 11:59 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anyone heard of em or use em? I picked up, what i can gather, a pair of older boots(pre gortex) and love them. Got em for 15$ at a thrift store and there amazing. I live in Boulder and walk everywhere and can walk in these all day. There green uppers with the black Verbatim soles. When my camera gets here(from moving) i'll post a pic.

I've got 1 issue tho. I was downtown today and kinda, sat on my toes, but didn't sit..like my back was against the wall and some of the weatherstripping cracked and is now coming away. Is there a way to fix it without taking it to a show place(I know its a cobbler).

Anyway..I'm new to the forum and was just wandering..lol

Edit: Found my old phone.

The damage

Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 12:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Twenty years ago I had a pair of Raichles.  They were great hiking boots.  Extremely comfortable as I recall.  You don't see them around much anymore.  I don't know why as I always felt they put a pretty darn good product.  Swiss, I think.   You do see their ski boots on the hill once in  a while.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 12:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Nov. 21 2012, 12:16 am)
Twenty years ago I had a pair of Raichles.  They were great hiking boots.  Extremely comfortable as I recall.  You don't see them around much anymore.  I don't know why as I always felt they put a pretty darn good product.  Swiss, I think.   You do see their ski boots on the hill once in  a while.

Yes, they are Swiss..Made in Hungary tho, or at least mine were. Anyway, I love mine. Got em for 15$ at a thrift store here in Boulder.

Any help with the weatherstripping tear??
 Post Number: 4
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 12:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Shoe Goo?
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 12:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Gabby @ Nov. 21 2012, 12:24 am)
Shoe Goo?

I thought about that but didnt think it could handle what hiking boots go thru.
 Post Number: 6
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 12:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Raichle was taken over by and merged with Mammut a few years ago.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 12:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Franco @ Nov. 21 2012, 12:31 am)
Raichle was taken over by and merged with Mammut a few years ago.

I read that also. I'm more interested in user reviews if anyone has any??

I've heard the soles sometimes just fall off. Maybe that was with the newer Mammut stuff..IDK.

Wiki: "In April 2003, Mammut purchased Raichle, from Austrian owners Kneissl, although Raichle had originally been founded in Kreuzlingen, Switzerland.[3]
While Raichle has been making boots for about 100 years, as of March 2009, former Raichle products are now marketed as Mammut. "
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 1:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BoulderCanyon @ Nov. 20 2012, 11:26 pm)

Shoe Goo?

$15 boots. Worth at least a try. Shoe Goo doesn't harden. I've even used it on the soles of my running shoes, so...

My old circa 70s Raichle Yukons, bought at the local Whole Earth Provision Co. while attending college.

We'll be eating turkey in a couple of days here. Maybe I should wipe the table off.

Daughter has taken a loooooong time on that puzzle...
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 1:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Gabby @ Nov. 21 2012, 1:30 am)

Shoe Goo?

$15 boots. Worth at least a try. Shoe Goo doesn't harden. I've even used it on the soles of my running shoes, so...

My old circa 70s Raichle Yukons, bought at the local Whole Earth Provision Co. while attending college.

We'll be eating turkey in a couple of days here. Maybe I should wipe the table off.

I'll give it a try. Thanks

still need those red laces?? I'm really digging em.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 2:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes  I am aware of some having their soles falling off...
I have a pair of boots somewhat similar to yours (mine are made in Korea) and a pair of trail runners (can't read the label anymore so not sure where they where made)
Both have Vibram soles and both are fine.
(the runners are almost dead (worn out) but still usable)
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 3:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Franco @ Nov. 21 2012, 2:50 am)
I have a pair of boots somewhat similar to yours (mine are made in Korea) and a pair of trail runners (can't read the label anymore so not sure where they where made)

If I understood what all the reviews were saying, the sole issues started after Raichle got bought out and all there stuff started getting made in China. My tounges say "Raichle of Switzerland Made In Hungary" so I'm hoping they have plenty of life left in them.
 Post Number: 12
leadbelly2550 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 2:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

that damage looks cosmetic.  you probably can't tell due to that strip whether the midsoles are glued or stitched to the upper, but it's the midsole/upper connection that is important.  i would be inclined to add a little waterproofing to the area that has become exposed, but i wouldn't use shoe-goo on a decent quality leather boot.

i had a pair of raichle montagnas that i wore for about 10 years purchased early 1990s.  similar overlap style and norwegian welt to the boots pictured above, no strip covering the welt like yours.  ("welt" is the point where the leather and the midsole meet).   they were very heavy, stable, and durable; i replaced them not because they wore out, but because they always created an issue with a few of my toes, and i got tired of losing toenails during every significant trip i took.   i'm guessing your boots will be fine for quite a while.
 Post Number: 13
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 8:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My old circa 70s Raichle Yukons,

It seems like everyone in my school had a pair of Raichles. I wasn't cool enough, so I just had Red Wings.
 Post Number: 14
pastywhite Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 9:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Back in the 80's they were THE ski boot to get.
 Post Number: 15
llamapacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 12:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Nov. 21 2012, 5:01 pm)

My old circa 70s Raichle Yukons,

It seems like everyone in my school had a pair of Raichles. I wasn't cool enough, so I just had Red Wings.

Same here, Red Wing Irish Setters.   Great boot.
 Post Number: 16
Adirondackiteer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 29 2012, 5:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have an old pair of Raichles, completely against how your suppose to pick out boots - they were a mail order gift from my folks on clearence from STP I think, back in the later 90's. They were at least a full size to big, but that never slowed me down lol. I just replaced them about 3 years ago, and they are still my outside/garage boots when I want boots but not steel toed workboots. Tags are worn off and fabric is worn through in many spots.

--------------
???   Shoes optional   :cool:
 Post Number: 17
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 29 2012, 10:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would use an epoxy like "Welder" or other that is designed to bond the two materials.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 18
leadbelly2550 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 29 2012, 5:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

be careful if you decide to self-repair.  most epoxy glues you find in hardware stores dry very brittle, not necessarily the best choice for something with the kind of flex & give you have in a leather boot.  and brittle means not great for cold weather.  i would opt for silicone, urethane, or neoprene glues instead.  Shoe goo is widely available and remains flexible after it dries.
 Post Number: 19
camper10469 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 30 2012, 1:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Shoe Goo?

HEY those are my old boots. I had them resoled and for some reason they became too narrow since then. '
I jsut gavce those to a friend last year and he is still using em to death.. can't kill em either.

Oh and one thing he noticed as well as I ... the old formula Vibram soles back then were much stickier, had better traction on wet wood n wet rocks, than todays plastic Vibrams of today.

Boy qualty has really dropped over the years and we hardly even noticed.

--------------
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 30 2012, 3:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Vibram produces many different compounds.
Some are pure natural rubber others are synthetic many are a mix of the two.
The exact compound you get is determined by the brand that buys them.
There are over 1000 brands using Vibram so yes there are many variation on the theme.
Maybe the harder synthetic types are now more common because most people have forgotten that we used to re-sole our shoes every few years...
The big range of compounds has been available for many decades in fact it started not long after the first in 1937...
(most of my shoes, boots and gumboots/rubber boots  as a kid had a Vibram sole, all different types )
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 30 2012, 3:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

souls...soles...Franco rolls...
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 30 2012, 4:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The first,second and fourth soles are the classic  Carroarmato (tank) pattern  , designed by the founder (Vitale Bramati) and possibly the most copied sole pattern.
(the first two are the exact original version )
 Post Number: 23
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 10:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Shoe Goo?

Boy, those bring back memories.  Raichles were my first pair of real hiking boots.  I wore them for years until they just plain wore out.  Great pair of boots.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 24
SmokeyBear Search for posts by this member.
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 6:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BoulderCanyon @ Nov. 21 2012, 3:10 am)

(Franco @ Nov. 21 2012, 2:50 am)

If I understood what all the reviews were saying, the sole issues started after Raichle got bought out and all there stuff started getting made in China. My tounges say "Raichle of Switzerland Made In Hungary" so I'm hoping they have plenty of life left in them.

Don't put too much stock in the reviews, people mostly sign in to complain so you tend to hear disproportionately about problems stemming from odd failures. That, and people xenophobically associate China with poor quality on all products. The fact is that Raichle began to use cheaper quality leather and other parts over the last few years before being sold to MAmmut, and their products did begin to suffer a bit for it. Even the stuff made in Romania. The move to MAmmut seemed, IMHO, to improve the quality of the materials used. I don't wear mammut/raichle because they don't fit me but I wish they did because Mammut makes some truly wonderful boots.
 Post Number: 25
justwalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 11:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(pastywhite @ Nov. 21 2012, 9:32 pm)
Back in the 80's they were THE ski boot to get.

I still ski with my Raichle ski boots purchased new in 1985.  I'm on at least my fourth set of skis since then, but I've never considered replacing the boots.  Wool-lined, very nice.

--------------
If a day in the mountains is better than a week at work, why aren't I working in the mountains?
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 06 2013, 5:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think that I have had a fair amount of wear out of these ones :
25 replies since Nov. 20 2012, 11:59 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply raichle boots
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions