2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Help me understand tent specs< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Dabrador Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 8:35 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The tent I'm looking at states the following about the rainfly and floor:

30D 246T ripstop nylon 1500mm

In addition, it states that the rainfly is silicon treated, the bathtub floor has seam sealed corners and the no-wick welded construction ensures that moisture won’t wick through susceptible areas such as guyout points, pole wraps or zippers in wet conditions.

Any help in translating the above would be appreciated. Bottom line - will a tent with these specs hold up well over time and will it stay waterproof?

Thanks all.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 10:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tent specs?  I don't totally understand them and I certainly don't believe them.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 3
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 10:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

30D 246T ripstop nylon 1500mm

This says that the nylon is made of threads that are 30 denier in thickness, and that it has a thread count of 246 per lineal inch. It has been sewn in a ripstop pattern for strength and durablilty.

The 1500 mm is a waterproof standard. It means that that nylon (with its coatings) will withstand the pressure of a column of water 1500 mm in height, for more than one minute before a single drop might appear through the fabric. That 1500 is a fairly good level for a lightweight tent these days.

In addition, it states that the rainfly is silicon treated,

The nylon has been coated on one side with silicone (waterproofing) and I bet that the other side has a polyurethane coating.

the bathtub floor has seam sealed corners and the no-wick welded construction ensures that moisture won’t wick through susceptible areas such as guyout points, pole wraps or zippers in wet conditions.

The bathtub floor has been sewn so they use waterproof tape that bonds to the PU coating to make sure that water does not seep through the needle holes.

The rest of the seams have not been sewn together, instead they have been welded. This is a “chemical weld”, otherwise known as gluing. ;-)

Any help in translating the above would be appreciated. Bottom line - will a tent with these specs hold up well over time and will it stay waterproof?

From just reading the specs it sound good to me. What tent is it?

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 10:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Nov. 21 2012, 9:00 am)
Tent specs?   I certainly don't believe them.

:laugh:  :laugh:

Now there is a man that sees the tent as half wet...

--------------
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 10:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks Ray...I was hoping to hear from you.

The tent is the REI Quarter Dome T2. Any comments on that one?
 Post Number: 6
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 11:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(rayestrella @ Nov. 21 2012, 10:04 am)

(hikerjer @ Nov. 21 2012, 9:00 am)
Tent specs?   I certainly don't believe them.

:laugh:  :laugh:

Now there is a man that sees the tent as half wet...

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh: Maybe.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 12:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Dabrador @ Nov. 21 2012, 9:12 am)

I know it very well as I tested and wrote an article on one for BackpackingLight.

I think it is the most-bang-for-the-buck lightweight tent going. It has the weight and features of tents costing 100.00 more and the design is very smart.

--------------
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 1:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(rayestrella @ Nov. 21 2012, 12:26 pm)

(Dabrador @ Nov. 21 2012, 9:12 am)

I know it very well as I tested and wrote an article on one for BackpackingLight.

I think it is the most-bang-for-the-buck lightweight tent going. It has the weight and features of tents costing 100.00 more and the design is very smart.

Thanks for the feedback.
 Post Number: 9
pastywhite Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 2:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a T2 and think it's a great tent. I picked it up at one of the sales so it was $75 or so cheaper than normal which really made it an easy buy. I've had it out in some very heavy storms and it has not leaked.  The fly can get a little soggy if it rains all night but I think that is normal for a nylon fly - never has leaked though.

The 2 doors/vestibules is really nice for 2 people.
 Post Number: 10
Tipi Walter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 7:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

After years of using tents with thin floors like 30 denier I have watched them pin hole quickly and absorb water like a sponge when your body weight is on top during a deluge.  So, I'm most concerned with getting a good tent floor and have stumbled on the Hilleberg line which has triple coated urethane floors with 100 denier---very beefy.  In fact, here's a picture of my Hilleberg Staika in a rainstorm with pooling ground water, I call it Lake Effect---

Not a drop of water came into the tent thru the floor.

--------------
http://trailjournals.com/TipiWalter11

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 8:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Those Hilleberg tents are interesting. A bit pricey too. Since I always use a footprint for my tents, I'm not too worried about the floor. My concern with tents would be the fly wetting out in a heavy sustained rain.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 10:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ha, if you get much more water your Crocs are going to float away Walter.

--------------
 Post Number: 13
Fatpacking Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 12:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tipi Walter @ Nov. 22 2012, 7:58 am)
After years of using tents with thin floors like 30 denier I have watched them pin hole quickly and absorb water like a sponge when your body weight is on top during a deluge.  

Wouldn't a ground cloth prevent this? I know it's a little added weight, but something like some Tyvec would be minimal weight and you could cut it smaller to just fit the area of the tent floor that will see the most weight and most constant weight.
 Post Number: 14
Tipi Walter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 1:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use a ground cloth tarp for my tent but it's placed INSIDE the tent and works well to keep a wet condensated floor from touching my in-tent gear.  Plus it's added protection for pinhole punctures in my Exped or Thermarest pads.

Most people put their ground cloths on the outside below their tents but what happens in a rain deluge is that sheeting ground water gets between their tent and the ground cloth and forms small pools which cannot escape and drain. This water usually gets absorbed into the tent thru pressure on the floor from body weight.

On a recent trip I ran into a couple backpackers caught in a mean thunderstorm and got wet with their over large ground cloth.  Sure, they could of tucked it under better but my point is in a heavy enough rain there will be ground sheeting and ground water pooling and this water will always find its way between the cloth and the tent floor.

--------------
http://trailjournals.com/TipiWalter11

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/
 Post Number: 15
Fatpacking Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 7:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ah...ok...that makes sense. That's good info to keep in mind.
14 replies since Nov. 21 2012, 8:35 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Help me understand tent specs
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions