2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Making a windscreen for a alcohol stove< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 8:02 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Can they be tight to the pot and if so do I need way more vent holes for air.

Any danger in getting a alcohol stove too hot

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 10:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't think there is a concern for over-heating as there is no pressure, but I think you will need to add holes for air to keep it burning well.

Look at the Caldera Cones for inspiration.

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 10:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I made a simple wind screen from 8 inch duct.  I cut the duct so I could have an opening on one side, which allows for air movement and I could then curl the duct to better fit closely around my teapot.  My pot is slightly wider than 6".  I would post a pic, but I am currently finding a new home for all of my pics.  I have none to link to.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 11:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Zeke you can put a single photo on right from your desktop.

Or email me what you want and I will edit it to size and upload it for you here.

(Yes I am bored. The kids just now woke up.)

--------------
 Post Number: 5
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 12:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(rayestrella @ Nov. 22 2012, 11:31 am)
Zeke you can put a single photo on right from your desktop.

Or email me what you want and I will edit it to size and upload it for you here.

(Yes I am bored. The kids just now woke up.)

I have yet to figure out how to post one from my desktop.  Just photobucket.  All ears here.  Bored too.  Cooking everything for the fam.  And repairing a tent.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 6
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 1:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I know about posting from my computer, but it is the re-sizing thing that eludes me.  I used to just use my photo sharing outside storage, but they have stopped the sharing option so I cannot link to it.  I will email it to Ray for sharing.

Looking at the pictures again, it is obvious I used 6 inch duct, not 8.  My cutting and folding over the sharp edge allowed it to be sprung open slightly, making it fit my pot better. 

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 7
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 2:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

With the Whitebox, you want the screen about half an inch from the sides of the pot. Holes spaced a couple inches apart around, about half an inch from the bottom edge of the screen.

Look at the Trail Designs Vari Vent - good screen, with tabs instead of punched holes that you can push shut if needed to adjust venting.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 4:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sorry to just see this. Here is the first one.

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 4:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And the top view.

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
 Post Number: 10
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 23 2012, 8:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OK that is what I have distance wise, same pot also. Mine is a complete circle though with reverse bends to hook itself to itself.

I see flames come up the side sometime and was thinking I was losing heat. So thought a tight fit like the Caldera cone might be better

I have a few feet of ti coming from Ti Goat and need to make another screen so was just wondering

As for one off image linking. Imgur.com is easy and works. Not long term storage but for a forum link would work great. No username or signup required. Just drag the photo to your browser while at that url

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 11
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 23 2012, 1:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I made a caldera cone for my alky stove. Works great in windy conditions.
 Post Number: 12
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 24 2012, 11:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My WB came with a wind screen, adjustable.  I set it with a finger's space between the screen and the pot, and it has air holes around the bottom.  I'm bored, so I'll hunt a bit and see if I have any pictures that show it (probably not.  The DH mostly either gets shots for camp atmosphere or close-ups of the food :D).

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 13
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 24 2012, 11:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey, *I* took a picture of the stove and pot in action!  You can see it's snugged in pretty tight to the pot, and you can also see the air holes around the bottom.

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 14
Crockett Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 25 2012, 1:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Nov. 22 2012, 10:57 am)
I made a simple wind screen from 8 inch duct.  I cut the duct so I could have an opening on one side, which allows for air movement and I could then curl the duct to better fit closely around my teapot.  My pot is slightly wider than 6".  I would post a pic, but I am currently finding a new home for all of my pics.  I have none to link to.  

I'm in a similar situation.  I was using the kodak site which was discontinued & all the accounts were flipped to Shutterfly but I don't like it much - poor for album creation.

Anyway, I recently bookmarked this review of the Top 20 Photo Storage and Sharing Sites.  Haven't had time to really have a close look at it yet & it is from a couple of years ago but it may be a place to start.

http://web.appstorm.net/roundup....g-sites
 Post Number: 15
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 25 2012, 3:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

just take flashing and make what you need.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 16
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.
A different kind of rebel...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 11:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I used a larger tuna can and some wire grating:

The cans I used for the stove are like the Red Bull can. I can either rest a pot on top, or, with a couple of tent stakes, rest a steel or aluminum water bottle on top. That gets about 24 oz of water boiling in just a few minutes (YMWV.)

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 17
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 7:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So I got my Ti material yesterday in the mail. I had to get out in the garage and start playing.

I had one screen already made which as I said has a bout 1/2 inch gap around the pot. I thought tighter would be better.

So I made one that was completely tight which did not work so well

I set both my Evernew  EBY254 Alcohol stoves up with basically the same pot. One has got a different lid. I lit each stove and place the pots on the stoves. The original windscreen boiled in just about 7.5 minutes. The tight fitting screen almost 9.5 minutes. About .8 liters of water in each pot from the garden hose. temps were about 45F in the garage

I drilled a few more holes midway up the screen and that just let the flame come out the holes. So a fail in my opinion.

I loosened the tight fitting windscreen a bit giving me about a 1/4 inch gap around the pot. Got some more water and tried again. This time both worked about the same give or take about 15 seconds.

So I have these setup and ready now for my wife and I.

Little surprised that the tight fitting screen did not work as well but I guess I understand the principle. You have to have plenty of air to keep the flame going.

It's always fun to play with fire. Anyone have any suggestions

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 18
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 5:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eggs @ Nov. 27 2012, 7:04 am)
It's always fun to play with fire. Anyone have any suggestions

One word: extinguisher.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
17 replies since Nov. 22 2012, 8:02 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Making a windscreen for a alcohol stove
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions