2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: New Jacket Survey, New Jacket Survey< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
backpackerma2008 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 24 2012, 3:30 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey everyone,

I would like to pick your brain for a minute.  We are creating a new product with a group of engineers and your input would be much appreciated. The product is a self inflating sports jacket which can increase the warmth the jacket provides by opening a tiny valve on the inside.  This design would allow you adjust the warmth of the jacket based on the weather at any point in time.  We are surveying a large group of people to get an understanding of their jacket needs. Please take  60 seconds to answer the survey by clicking the link below, and remember all information is anonymous.

https://tufts.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_3mDH02tWKWqUcMl

I appreciate your time!

TUFTS Engineering Group
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 24 2012, 4:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Done....not enough questions. Weight of said jacket and features not covered.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 24 2012, 6:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Done.  Interesting concept.

Good luck.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 4
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 24 2012, 7:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

a self inflating sports jacket
One presumes that the material used for inflation is an insulating gas of some sort. I guess that goes without saying...but that would mean also carrying a nonreplenishible canister of some sort full of this stuff, since air is the only gas readily available otherwise, and it doesn't insulate all that well.

Your survey is extremely sophomoric, and buggy to boot - I hit the "next page" button w/o filling in anything, and it simply thanked me for my input w/o generating any error.

4. How often do you feel hot or cold  while wearing your coat

If you don't have temperature variation, how would you know when to adjust your jacket - or any of your apparel for that matter, which apparel, at least for me, is a part of a "system", not a stand-alone device, as your projected garment seems to be.

Example: I once bought a Merrell jacket that consisted of pockets all over that you presumably stuffed with leaves or other material to provide insulation. Silly, but they didn't sell very well, so Merrell put the "prototypes" on sale for next to nothing on their website, making it justifiable as a "curiosity" or "conversation piece". Not much use as an actual garment, however, since you'd only actually need it if you failed miserably at planning ahead for weather. Again, at least for me, planning ahead means taking multiple use items that I can use together or separately as a system, not a single garment that "does everything" - and which may fail, leaving me without a backup other than going "Bear Grylls": and we know how well that's liable to work.

10. What do you like best about the jacket you specified in Question 2?

Question #2 did not ask about a specific jacket, but asked which brand preferred.

You need to redo your survey with more specific questions, not to mention rethink your product entirely. But, as usual, I'm just being nasty, I guess.
 Post Number: 5
STICK Search for posts by this member.
~Stick~

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 24 2012, 11:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds an awful lot like the Klymit Ulaar Jacket...

--------------
Jus' sayin'...

Sticks Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 25 2012, 8:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Done.

As someone who designs surveys for a living, I agree with some of the comments offered that this survey is not designed very well. Most importantly, you never connect your survey questions to your key objective, which is to understand the acceptance of "a self inflating sports jacket which can increase the warmth the jacket provides by opening a tiny valve on the inside.  This design would allow you adjust the warmth of the jacket based on the weather at any point in time."

You describe the product in your forum post, but none of your questions relate directly to this concept. You never even come close to describing the concept in the survey itself. You seem to be asking: "Would you like a wonder coat that can do all kinds of great things?" The answer is yes, because you haven't provided any realistic trade-offs or disclosed any shortcomings, so you have basically asked if we want a perfect product. Well sure. But that never exists, and I seriously doubt your new concept comes without trade-offs or shortcomings.

Backpackers want to understand their gear, to know how it works in order to have confidence that it will in fact work. Your concept is a "black box" -- somehow something valuable will happen with no explanation how, and seemingly no trade-offs to be made (and product cost is a trade-off). Your survey is an exercise in theory, which won't help you much towards your objective.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 7
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.
A different kind of rebel...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 3:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Done.

Reading some of the critical input of others, I think they were being nice, so I will be, too.

Pretty ineffective survey. I have a CSW windbreaker meant for strolls through the park on a sunny, breezy, 62° day. I also have one meant for a cloudy, blustery, 18° day, too. My sister has a CSW hoody. If you drilled down on what we use our (insert brand name) jacket/coat for, you'd get a tighter, more accurate group.

And typically, we don't use 'jacket/coat' as a term for outerwear. Unless we're talking about our 'leather jacket' or our 'dress coat.'

I'd like to think you're asking whether or not this is a good poll, not whether you were looking for any real data gathering for a target group for the product.

Sounds like an interesting concept, though. I just couldn't figure out who you're talking to.

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
6 replies since Nov. 24 2012, 3:30 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply New Jacket Survey
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions