2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: layering quiz< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
leadbelly2550 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 24 2012, 10:23 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

great morning in the DC metro area.  high 30's, nice north wind gusting to 20-25 mph.  hiked from 6-9 a.m.  faced a dilemma:

1.  light/mid wicking long sleeve zip-neck layer plus soft shell; or,

2.  heavy wicking zip-neck layer (polartec powerstretch) plus very light wind shell top.

the baseline: light wool socks, trail runners, mid-weight wool long john bottoms, light wool t-shirt, light fleece beanie, expedition-weight synthetic glove liners.  had to put on windstopper gloves over the liners because my fingers got nippy, despite moving at 3.5 mph.

the question is, would you have chosen #1 or #2, and why? or perhaps something else?

i'll check back in a few days and share what i chose, and how it played out.

thanks!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 24 2012, 11:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Entirely an individual questions, IMO.  Depends on how heated you get from exercise and how easily and how much you sweat.  For me, option #2 would work best.  But that's just me.  We're all different.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 3
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 24 2012, 11:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Agree with Jer--about it being individual.  At about freezing (32), I will usually start off with a long-sleeve med. or light thermal shirt covered by a "dress shirt" style synthetic hiking shirt (eg. EXO Airstrip), and a light fleece or heavier rain jacket.  And within ten min. I'll shed the jacket, and ten more odd are I'm down to the undershirt, unless the wind--oops, just looked again at the wind in your original post.  So am more likely to keep the jacket and drop the mid-layer--if I keep the wind off, I'll heat up plenty.

But that's me.  I break into a sweat at the mere thought of work.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 25 2012, 6:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was out yesterday morning in similar conditions and went with option 1: more breathable and less stinky.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 5
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 25 2012, 7:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Opt 1 but remove the softshell and add a wind shirt while moving. Down sweater while stopped

But as Jer said completely an individual thing

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6
leadbelly2550 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 25 2012, 10:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

yup, i recognize everyone does this differently.  that's why i asked.

because i couldn't decide, i wore #1 on the way out and #2 on the way back.  with a few moments of feeling very cold when i changed over.  i generally run very hot and figured the soft shell would be better for that reason - allow a little bit of air flow, vent moisture better.  

what i found was that both were perfectly fine - but that between the cold, wind, relatively lightweight day pack, and the relatively flat trail (not a lot of work),  i was slightly more comfortable with an outer layer that cut the wind better and the slightly better insulation that the thicker layer provided.
 Post Number: 7
texasbb Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 25 2012, 4:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Like everyone said, it's individual.  My approach would be to avoid the softshell; I don't like them.  Instead, I'd take a light/med base layer, a light/med fleece shirt, and a very light wind shirt.  More options that way.  If there were any chance of rain, I'd swap the wind shirt for a rain jacket.
6 replies since Nov. 24 2012, 10:23 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply layering quiz
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions