2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: first ascent/eddie bauer mountain guide down jacke< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
leadbelly2550 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 11:28 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

is anyone familiar with this? i have a mid-line down jacket that is kind of a do-everything.  warmer than a down sweater, not as ridiculously warm as the overstuffed monster i use in the winter in the mountains.  i can throw it on and walk the dog, wear around town, use at night or during stops if it isn't frigid out.  great piece of gear to have.  

mine is from eastern mountain sports, 550 fill.  it is old, it is heavy, and it has acquired unpleasant stains/odors that might mean our cat nested in it when he was ill, or that the mice the cat wasn't chasing were nesting in it.  regardless, it might be time for a new one.

i have been able to gather information about some of the options i'm thinking about - the OR Maestro, the feathered friends volant or hooded helios, mountain hardwear hooded phantom, western mountaineering flight jacket.  while i like the feathered friends and western mountaineering options, i think they are out of reach unless i find something used & not abused.  i can't seem to find much about the first ascent guide down jacket, though.  there is plenty of info about their heavyweight Peak XV, and it speaks well of the brand, but that's too much for my needs.

thanks!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 11:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Can't say specifically about the Mountain Guide jacket, but I have the Downlight jacket and I love it. Great warmth-to-weight, well constructed.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 1:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

ps - i'm interested because eddie bauer is selling everything for 40% off today only.  that's about as good a sale price as you see until things are discontinued.
 Post Number: 4
skinewmexico Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 6:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Free shipping too. I'm incredibly happy with my EB/FA down sweater. If the coat you're looking at is anywhere close to it, it's a great deal.

--------------
Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe. - Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 5
texasbb Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 9:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have several EB/FA garments; love them all.
 Post Number: 6
johnq62 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 12:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

FA/EB outwear/tops is well worth the $ esp. when on sale.
Still undecided about their gear? Anyone use the new tents/bags?
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 5:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

well, the jacket i wanted was sold out...but at 40% off, the heavier Peak XV was too much of a steal to resist.  i hope we have a really cold winter.
 Post Number: 8
mossy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 30 2012, 11:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(johnq62 @ Nov. 27 2012, 12:19 am)
FA/EB outwear/tops is well worth the $ esp. when on sale.
Still undecided about their gear? Anyone use the new tents/bags?

I ordered a Stargazer2 during the recent 40% off sale. It hasn't arrived yet but I'll get a review up as soon as I get a night or two in it.
 Post Number: 9
mossy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2012, 10:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

All right, got it in and set it up in the living room last night in anticipation of a Natn'l forest car camp tonight. Initial impressions;

It's clear there are weight savings to be had after seeing the straps on the included stuff sack (nice if you want to strap it on outside, I don't). The included pole/stake bags are the made out of heavier nylon and can be ditched for two rubber bands. Between those and the stuff sack, you could probably knock half a pound off. Then there are the four guylines attached to the fly. The lines look not-too-beefy but probably will work in all but gale force-type conditions. Remove them and knock off another 4 oz, or so. I'll weigh it once I get it in trail configuration. Not enough time, this night

Setup, the thing is quite large for a 2P tent and wife, adult-sized daughter and I (5'11") can sit straight up in it without touching any part of the mesh inner with even more room to spare. The thing is going to be a palace for the daughter, she likes it. I threatened to steal it because its looking like a winner. I'll do a full review on it once it undergoes the trail/bad weather usuals but, for now, I almost feel guilty of highway robbery for getting it at 40% off MSRP.
8 replies since Nov. 26 2012, 11:28 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply first ascent/eddie bauer mountain guide down jacke
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions