2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: pin-prick punctures in a Sleeping Pad, spray seal?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Indytechnerd Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 2:46 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Long story short, I had unrolled and laid out my pad, an Alps Mountaineering lightweight, and my cat ran across it, lengthwise, claws out.  I wasn't able to see any specific holes, but a bunch of pin-pricks would definitely impact the air retention.

I had it out to use at a church over-night that I chaperoned for my son, and by morning I was on the floor, enough that when I got up and opened the valve, air rushed in, rather than out.

Would spraying with seam sealant or something similar work, or am I in need of a new pad?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 3:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

New pad.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 3:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Fill up your bathtup with water and inflate your pad. Then suck it down in the water to see if you can find where it is leaking from. It may have only a hole or two and not multiple. Then use the sealant that came with the pad to repair it.
 Post Number: 4
Godxillax Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 3:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What about that sealant that's advertised on TV for gutters etc.  The one they show sealing a screen bottom in a boat.

--------------
39° 32.690 N
76° 08.415 W
 Post Number: 5
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 4:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've always found soapy water to work nicely. I strongly inflate the thing then spray soapy water on it and heavily weight it down and look for bubbles. I can pressurize more that way and it's easier to mark the precise location of any leaks.

I too would go with the manufacturers sealant if available.
 Post Number: 6
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 7:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Godxillax @ Nov. 28 2012, 3:43 pm)
What about that sealant that's advertised on TV for gutters etc.  The one they show sealing a screen bottom in a boat.

That stuffs HEAVY.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 7
DieselNut Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 9:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Godxillax @ Nov. 28 2012, 3:43 pm)

Your sleeping bag wouldn't move easily off your pad...
 Post Number: 8
Godxillax Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 29 2012, 8:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Your sleeping bag wouldn't move easily off your pad...

That would be a good thing.  I don't imagine coating the entire pad, just the puncture area.

--------------
39° 32.690 N
76° 08.415 W
 Post Number: 9
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 29 2012, 10:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Seriously though...A patch is what I would use. They, uh, do make patches for this kind of issue.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 10
leadbelly2550 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 29 2012, 5:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

closed cell foam, baby.  one for summer, 2 of them stacked for winter.  bulky, but cheap and durable.
 Post Number: 11
bikehikefish Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 10:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I bought a thermarest at the rei garage sale that had a pin hole in it.  A drop of glue that came with the patch kit has held for almost 10 years.  I would bet that any silicone glue would work just as well.
10 replies since Nov. 28 2012, 2:46 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply pin-prick punctures in a Sleeping Pad
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions