2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Help me spend $20 at REI, What should I get?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Dabrador Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 9:16 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I recently purchased some new gear at REI and as a result, I received a gift card for $20.

Anyone have unique ideas on what I should get with this gift card? What are some of the most practical and useful small items that you have?

The most creative suggestion wins!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
STICK Search for posts by this member.
~Stick~

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 9:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Esbit tablets and a Platypus bottle.

--------------
Jus' sayin'...

Sticks Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 9:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(STICK @ Dec. 02 2012, 9:32 am)
Esbit tablets and a Platypus bottle.

I already have a Platypus bottle but those Esbit tablets look very interesting.
 Post Number: 4
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 9:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One if these

And one of these

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 5
~Stick~

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 9:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It is great to have backup Platy's too... You never know when some of this stuff will be gone... and it usually happens about the time you need another one...

--------------
Jus' sayin'...

Sticks Blog
 Post Number: 6
~Stick~

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 10:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Eggs, I have the S2S AL Short spoon and it is great...  :)

--------------
Jus' sayin'...

Sticks Blog
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 10:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I had a feeling this would happen. I get a bunch of great suggestions and my $20 purchase ends up being a lot more than that!

That spoon looks like a great idea. All of my meals are in pouches and this would really come in handy.
 Post Number: 8
Fatpacking Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 10:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was thinking of a spoon and platypus too. I got my $20 yesterday and I am ordering some boots today so'll I'll end up with another one as well. I didn't read the fine print, I wonder if they can be combined giving me $40 to use on a larger ticket item. I'd like some hiking pants if I can do that.
 Post Number: 9
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 11:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

$20 for me equals new spoon, extra Mt. House meals, paracord, a cheap balaclava, some new stakes, or some utility biners.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 12:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Dec. 02 2012, 11:48 am)
$20 for me equals new spoon, extra Mt. House meals, paracord, a cheap balaclava, some new stakes, or some utility biners.

I've always wondered about the non technical use of biners. Suggestions?
 Post Number: 11
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 12:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They've replaced every strap I've got on the outside of my back to attach items excluding the two I use to lash my snow shovel and snowshoes. I use them at camp to hang my winter lantern, headlamp above my head, dry out my gaiters, hang my boots to keep them out of spindrift range, dry clothing, etc...

--------------
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 4:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like biners are on the list.
 Post Number: 13
TrailTromper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 5:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was planning to keep mine and use it along with my dividend, but I see that it is only good from Dec. 12th - Jan. 6th.  I guess I will need to use it sooner than I planned.
 Post Number: 14
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 6:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would wait a bit. Invariably something you need will arise, and you'll have a $20 head-start for it. Sure you can spend it now, and sure you'll get some things that you can justify in your mind, but if you spend it on 1-2 little things now then that gift card value will seem to just vanish.

Whatever you would buy with it today you certainly can buy with it by the expiration date if you haven't spent it by then, but if you still have it around and suddenly need a new puffy coat or need a new pad or whatever that $20 will feel really good. Or, possibly a deal of the day/week will pop up that tickles your fancy and with the sale price +$20 gift card you'll feel really good about getting it for a song.

Ultimately spending $20 is spending $20 no matter how you spend it, I've just found more psychological satisfaction from using gift cards against things that I need. It's hard to resist the urge that the gift card is "burning a hole in your pocket", but if you have to ask others what you should spend it on then you won't spend it on anything you "need", and I think that isn't as satisfying psychologically.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 7:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good feedback. Fundamentally I agree. I'm looking at this gift card differently. There's nothing I "need" at this point. I'd like to use the $20 on something different. That's why I'm looking for some suggestions. For example, the esbit tablets could replace my current fire starter. The long spoon would make my dining less messy.

I'm sure there are other things out there...
 Post Number: 16
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 8:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Long spoons are great.  I use the $2 plastic ones.  Metal spoons will burn your lips.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 17
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 5:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Dec. 02 2012, 8:20 pm)
Long spoons are great.  I use the $2 plastic ones.  Metal spoons will burn your lips.

When you eat soup at home do you use the finest plastic silverware you can fined? :)

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 18
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 6:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eggs @ Dec. 03 2012, 5:21 am)

When you eat soup at home do you use the finest plastic silverware you can fined? :)

Usually do, lately.  And out of a plastic pot that I heated in the microwave.  Conditions and usage are usually different in camp.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 19
MikeRegas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 11:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

is this something that comes to REI members or where you given a gift certificate?
 Post Number: 20
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 11:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Whenever I'm in your situation, a gift certificate that doesn't quite cover the cost of stuff I really need or want,  but I feel compelled to use it, I often use it on some packages of freeze dried food.  I'm not a real fan of freeze dried stuff, but somethines it's nice to have in an emergency or if you're really trying to cut weight on a long trip.  Of corse, you could always apply it to the cost of a more expensive item that you'd like or want.
JMO.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 1:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(MikeRegas @ Dec. 03 2012, 11:42 am)
is this something that comes to REI members or where you given a gift certificate?

If you spend $100 at REI, they give you a $20 gift card. Limited time...
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 1:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Why would the metal spoon burn my lips?
 Post Number: 23
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 2:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Dabrador @ Dec. 03 2012, 10:39 am)

Why would the metal spoon burn my lips?

If you cook your soup by using a lighter under each spoonful and cook on the fly.

Seriously though, I did have an issue when I bought one of those sweet looking Ti Cups that were all shiny. I would make my coffee, pour it in the cup and then sit there and wait for the cup to cool enough for me to drink it. Usually, that was about the time the warmth of the liquid inside had wicked out through the metal enough to make it slushy with ice.

I have one of those long Ti handled spoons. One of my hiking buddies got it for me. One of the best things I've ever gotten strangely. I enjoy the heck out of that thing and can't imagine eating Mt. House meals without it ever again.

--------------
 Post Number: 24
CampinCarl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 2:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here are a couple of ideas that I have blown small amounts on in the past:

REI Sport Wrap

I've used them instead of stuff sacks for my sleeping pad and tent

nite ize rope tightener

These little tighteners are sweet for cinching down ropes.

--------------
"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike." - John Muir
 Post Number: 25
OldGuyWalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 3:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I can blow $20 on repair items. Buckles, straps, grommets.

And coffee.
 Post Number: 26
DustinTN Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 4:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have one of these and use it almost daily. Truly a multi-use item both at camp and in the "real world."  I find scissors to be much more useful than pliers most of the time.
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 5:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(DustinTN @ Dec. 03 2012, 4:37 pm)
I have one of these and use it almost daily. Truly a multi-use item both at camp and in the "real world."  I find scissors to be much more useful than pliers most of the time.

To me, this is what makes something 'multi-use': I can use it in the backcountry and in the real world.

I've had one of these for almost 15 years. Great product.
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 7:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(CampinCarl @ Dec. 03 2012, 2:40 pm)

REI Sport Wrap

nite ize rope tightener

These are both great ideas! The rope tightener...can these replace the sliders on tent guylines?
 Post Number: 29
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2012, 1:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Dabrador @ Dec. 03 2012, 4:09 pm)

(CampinCarl @ Dec. 03 2012, 2:40 pm)

REI Sport Wrap

nite ize rope tightener

These are both great ideas! The rope tightener...can these replace the sliders on tent guylines?

I've replaced all my sliders with them. That, and I use the reflective guylines so I don't kill myself anymore.

--------------
 Post Number: 30
LordTemplar Search for posts by this member.
LordTemplar

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2012, 7:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I suggest the GSI Coffee Grinder.  Sounds weird, but is quite good and allows you to make a good cup of coffee in the morning.

I suggest a shot of Jamesons as well, LOL.

--------------
"Break On Through To The Other Side"--Jim Morrison
34 replies since Dec. 02 2012, 9:16 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Help me spend $20 at REI
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions