2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: camera case  ?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
arensdad Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 10:07 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Last spring while doing a section of the A.T. I meet a couple of aussies one of the them had a camera bag that I liked. It was big enough for a dsl and some accesories and was worn in the middle of the chest( may have been attached to the straps of his pack) anyone ever seen one of these> I can't seem to find anything like it.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Fatpacking Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 10:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mountainsmith makes one and I think Lowepro does too. Dakine and Tamrac make chest mounted cases with their own straps but I'd think it would be pretty easy to make it work with a backpack.
 Post Number: 3
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 3:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You definitely want to hang it off your pack harness, much better for weight carrying and not all that difficult to get out of. Just use quickrelease buckles on the bag. I carry a bare camera (big Nikon) that way and i'ts far less burden than on its own strap. Opteck makes a lot of straps and buckles so even if the bag isn't setup for hanging off your harness you'll be able to rig it that way.
http://optechusa.com/
 Post Number: 4
Arizona Search for posts by this member.
Valhalla, I am coming

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 3:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Dec. 02 2012, 8:35 am)
Opteck makes a lot of straps and buckles so even if the bag isn't setup for hanging off your harness you'll be able to rig it that way.
http://optechusa.com/

I have used their Bino/Cam harness for over ten years now. It is perfect. You can choose any bag you desire and clip it to the quick release system. I'm still running an Eagle Creek Scout that holds my DSLR and the extra lens I like. It carries a few other essentials where I can get to them while I hike and does help balance with the pack on back.

I didn't like the elastic version but do like the webbing (non-elastic) version.
 Post Number: 5
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 12:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Case Logic makes nice cases.  Get a harness to attach to the camera case you like.
 Post Number: 6
Adirondackiteer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 12:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

+2 for the Op/tech straps. I've tried several of their straps after hearing about them from the folks here. I like their Bino/cam harness http://optechusa.com/bino-cam-harness.html when I dont have a pack, and it can be used under pack straps too. But with a pack on I like the 'swivel connectors' http://optechusa.com/swivel-hook.html if the backpack straps have d-rings since these will easily clip onto them. But they are a little to long and the camera kind of bounces of my belly or hits my belt buckle. Someone crafty could easily shorten them. I still use it like that but with my heavier lens it sometimes gets annoying. I often rest my hand on it or unsnap one side to let it hang to the other side whith my hand on it. Thats also a nice feature of the Optech straps, that you can hang them from just one strap. I also have the 'reporter/backpack' connectors which hook right onto 1" webbing but havent tried them yet. http://optechusa.com/reporter-backpack.html

You'd still have to add a case though, I have been using mine without a case. I'm thinking about getting one of those neoprene things that just slip over the camera to offer just a little protection without adding the bulk of a whole case. I have pockets if I need to have other stuff, I dont need all the other accessories hanging on my chest.

Before I was using a Lowepro bag that could hang on the chest, but even mine that would only fit the smallest slr I think feels too bulky to hang on the chest. I rigged it up on the hipbelt. But I really like it, its a toploader for fast access, and the flap flips forward so its not in the way when your taking things in and out.

--------------
???   Shoes optional   :cool:
 Post Number: 7
arensdad Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2012, 8:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for all the replys folks I'm liking the optech harness a lot finding the right case will be easy. should have asked here first instead of trying a general online search. thats why they call it a community I guess..
 Post Number: 8
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2012, 11:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Aussies?  Perhaps it was an Aarn Body Pack set up?

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
7 replies since Dec. 02 2012, 10:07 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply camera case  ?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions