2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: LED Lantern?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 2:34 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I want a small lightweight LED lantern for using when my son and I go backpacking/camping - he's too young for a headlamp (though I already bought him one of those :p)

What do you recommend?  Black Diamond?  UCO?  One of those globes from Snowpeak?

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
Trinity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 3:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I carry a Black Diamond Orbit.  Great lantern, one of my favorite luxury items.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 3:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ditto on the Orbit. Just got back from the AT and that little light did a great job in providing enough photons to read by. Added bonus is that you can control the output, so it isn't a single, harsh setting.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 4
Arizona Search for posts by this member.
Valhalla, I am coming

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 3:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Black Diamond Orbit user here too. It compliments the headlamps nicely, has a soft light and it ramps up or down to various levels. It makes a happy glow in camp and works great as a camp beacon if anyone goes out of camp in the dark night in a confusing landscape. It guides them back in.
 Post Number: 5
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 4:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Reading your comment about already having a headlamp I thought of why not adding a diffuser to that and a ping pong ball popped into my mind.
Next I googled that (ping pong ball diffuser) and fair enough it has been done...
Here is one example :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HZwGMMEQ0k
 Post Number: 6
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 7:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's cool Franco, thanks. I've had my eye on the Montbell crushable lantern shade (link), converts a headlamp into a lantern, but have been wondering about a DIY approach. Never thought of a ping pong ball, great idea.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 7
Altarboy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 8:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a Brunton. Nice, but a smidge heavy. I don't take it on long trecks like the AT.
 Post Number: 8
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 8:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Black Diamond Orbit for me too. My wife and I love it as it's lt wt and puts out a good amount of light. I reccommend getting rechargeable batteries for it. Plus it's nice that it takes AAA batteries which most headlamps use so you can interchange if need be.
 Post Number: 9
jaxwithanx Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 8:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Voyager model gives you a lot more function and lumens for 10 dollars more...at least give it a look.
 Post Number: 10
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 8:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

now I know where the ping pong ball idea came from...
I have this light :

on my bedside table , it is a USB soft light ( I am playing with a solar panel and USB in and out power banks)
 Post Number: 11
Adirondackiteer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2012, 6:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've seen those clear-ish film cannisters used as area diffusers too.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb....3802038

Up to the imagination what you can come up with, and what fits the size of the flashlight.

--------------
???   Shoes optional :cool:
 Post Number: 12
justwalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 10:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like the Black Diamond Orbit also.  I received one as a Christmas present a few years ago and didn't figure I'd get much use out of it.  I was wrong.  That thing grows on you.

--------------
If a day in the mountains is better than a week at work, why aren't I working in the mountains?
 Post Number: 13
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 7:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Orbit...the thing is sweet..plus you can hang it in your tent as it kind of casts the light down..its nice and its tiny but bright and can be dimmed also. Or you can always just use a glow stick and hang that..works great all night..and you can have different colors..my kids love them.

--------------
www.mybackpacking.blog.com

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
author unknown
 Post Number: 14
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 7:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Check out that link Adirondackiteer posted.

Man and I thought we were a different subculture

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 15
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 10:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JRinGeorgia @ Dec. 02 2012, 7:15 pm)
That's cool Franco, thanks. I've had my eye on the Montbell crushable lantern shade (link), converts a headlamp into a lantern, but have been wondering about a DIY approach. Never thought of a ping pong ball, great idea.

That's a cool idea, but my kid likes to play with the headlamp and I'm sure the shade would be pulled off in 3 seconds.  So, I'll add I need a sturdy lantern :)

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 16
Adirondackiteer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 1:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wcolucci @ Dec. 07 2012, 7:23 am)
Check out that link Adirondackiteer posted.

Man and I thought we were a different subculture

LOL I think every hobby has a forum devoted to it that other would find, uhh, different?

Lots of good stuff on there about everything flashlight. I'm not a big poster there but do occasionally.  

Hmm lets see, I'm also on a forum dedicated to wood stoves, oh and a garden tractor forum... yeah you can have a forum for just about anything!
:p

--------------
???   Shoes optional :cool:
15 replies since Dec. 02 2012, 2:34 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply LED Lantern?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions