2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Bear mace, should you have bear mace?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
dsburke1 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 11:41 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey people,

I recently moved to Wyoming this fall and while hiking and reading hiker safety it seems like so many people make sure to have bear mace. I grew up in the White Mountains of New Hampshire and while bears are present, in seems like a crazy idea to carry around bear mace. Just simply not a natural weapon of protection to carry into the woods.

What im wondering is do the real hikers carry bear mace? or is it just because the amount of what i would say "fake" hikers that come to the region. And when i say "fake" im talking about the people that we all see on the trails that make a hike into a much bigger ordeal then it really is.  

And im not trying to sound like a dick to the many people that i have seen carrying mace, im just looking for some answers

Thanks
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 11:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bear spray is quite advisable in grizzly country.  It is a very effective defense when used properly.  Several forum members have put it to successful use, and quite a few more carry it where appropriate.
 Post Number: 3
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 11:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I carry it anytime out hiking where the possiblity of Black or Grizzley bears are...and thats a lot of places in Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, Idaho, Nevada.  I've lived and backpacked out here for 30years.  I even have it nearby in when car camping at campgrounds.

Oh, its Bear Deterent or repellent......
I use Guard Alaska or UDAP, carry 9oz can minimun, everyone in your hiking group.  If you don't have it, you will wish you did.......out here carrying it is not 'sissy'
 Post Number: 4
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 12:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

New Hampshire black bears or Sierra black bears for that matter are nothing remotely like Rocky Mountain Grizzly in terms of threat. Bear spray is a proven, effective deterrent.

Grizzly country rangers routinely carry bear spray. Ask one of them if they're "real".

For a more data driven approach try
Bear Attacks: Their Causes and Avoidance (1985) by Stephen Herrero.

And:
http://www.bear.org/website/bear-pages/pepper-spray.html
 Post Number: 5
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 5:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The "fake" hiker carry this .

Bear spray for me, though.

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6
TrailTromper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 8:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't bother, just never felt the need.
 Post Number: 7
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 8:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(dsburke1 @ Dec. 02 2012, 11:41 pm)
Just simply not a natural weapon of protection to carry into the woods.

Bear spray isn't a "weapon", but putting terminology aside, what "natural" means of protection do you suggest as an alternative?

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 8
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 9:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(dsburke1 @ Dec. 02 2012, 9:41 pm)
Hey people,

I recently moved to Wyoming this fall and while hiking and reading hiker safety it seems like so many people make sure to have bear mace. I grew up in the White Mountains of New Hampshire and while bears are present, in seems like a crazy idea to carry around bear mace. Just simply not a natural weapon of protection to carry into the woods.

What im wondering is do the real hikers carry bear mace? or is it just because the amount of what i would say "fake" hikers that come to the region. And when i say "fake" im talking about the people that we all see on the trails that make a hike into a much bigger ordeal then it really is.  

And im not trying to sound like a dick to the many people that i have seen carrying mace, im just looking for some answers

Thanks

Funny stuff right there.

You want to be ridiculous, use "bear bells." You'll immediately stand out as a "fake" hiker :D

HE** YES. I know of no one that doesn't pack Bear Spray... have an encounter and you'll change your tune.

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 9
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 9:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Do maces work on Grizzlies?

I carry bear spray when I'm up there.

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 10
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 9:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I thought mace was usually used in baking or other sweet dishes, not roasting savory meats like bear.  :D

In all seriouseness, I see no reason not to carry it if you're going to be in bear country.

--------------
You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.
 Post Number: 11
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 9:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I always carry mine.
We have a LOT of bear in my area, so it's a no brainer.
In my experiences, I sleep better knowing that if a bear (when?) shows up at my tent I can fend him off without harming the critter, except for an uncomfortable night.
It's humane, and generally advised. It adds some weight, but that's just more reason to go buy some more lighter gear right ;)
 Post Number: 12
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 10:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't live in a heavily populated bear territory but I do bring it when I hike in areas with cougar, elk, and the like.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 13
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 10:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I live and hike in an area populated with all manner of critters, grizzly bears included.   I carry Counter Assault bear spray.

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
 Post Number: 14
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 12:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Never had to use it but I always carry it in bear country.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 15
Dabrador Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 1:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What's a "fake hiker"? I know when I hit the backcountry, I make it a big deal because I don't get to do it as much as I want. And yes, I carry bear spray.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 2:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Dabrador @ Dec. 03 2012, 12:49 pm)
What's a "fake hiker"?

People that think it is called bear mace... ;-)

--------------
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 4:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Why griz don't carry bear spray.

Ah, my eyes, damn not having opposable thumbs...

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
 Post Number: 18
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 6:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Living in the Deep South, I don't see many bears.  I've been considering getting some anyway for other varmints.  I'd guess it would be equally effective on rabid racoons, mad dogs, and drunk rednecks.  Easier to possess in state parks and campgrounds, too.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 19
Godxillax Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2012, 12:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's also good on chicken or eggs (scrambled)

--------------
39° 32.690 N
76° 08.415 W
 Post Number: 20
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2012, 5:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Dec. 03 2012, 6:07 pm)
Living in the Deep South, I don't see many bears.  I've been considering getting some anyway for other varmints.  I'd guess it would be equally effective on rabid racoons, mad dogs, and drunk rednecks.  Easier to possess in state parks and campgrounds, too.

I see bears from time to time, but I'm in the back country most every weekend....never seen an aggressive bear myself as they don't stick around very long and run off pretty quick.  That happens because Bubba and the boys hunt them.

Still, black bears have been known to attack on rare occasions.

It's the 2 legged predators that concerns me.

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 21
Godxillax Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2012, 6:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I recently moved to MD from NJ.  Northern NJ is LOADED with bears.  There are many trails in NJ including a really nice stretch of the AT.  Many loops that go through NY and PA. You could hike for weeks in the area. I have always seen bears, walked with them, talked to them and just enjoyed them from a safe distance, but I always carried a can of bear spray.  There have been several instances of bears raiding shelters on the AT or harassing day hikers by the Water Gap.  There are too many irresponsible hikers and strollers out there who don't have any respect for the wild.  35 years ago, when I would camp, fish and hunt in the area,  I never saw a bear nor any sign.  I would camp during trout season for several days at a time.  The most I've seen in one day, 2006, was seven.  That's a lot of bear.

--------------
39° 32.690 N
76° 08.415 W
 Post Number: 22
justwalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 10:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bbobb169 @ Dec. 02 2012, 11:58 pm)
Oh, its Bear Deterent or repellent......

Just as with insect repellent, you spray yourself down before entering bear country.

--------------
If a day in the mountains is better than a week at work, why aren't I working in the mountains?
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 10:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bear spray doesn't always work; sometimes it's nice to have some firepower.  Just ask the three hunters who had to shoot a Grizzly in Teton national Park less than two weeks ago.  The bear was sprayed and kept on coming.

--------------
If a day in the mountains is better than a week at work, why aren't I working in the mountains?
 Post Number: 24
kcwins Search for posts by this member.
I refuse to grow up!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 11:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(justwalkin @ Dec. 05 2012, 10:58 pm)
Bear spray doesn't always work; sometimes it's nice to have some firepower.  Just ask the three hunters who had to shoot a Grizzly in Teton national Park less than two weeks ago.  The bear was sprayed and kept on coming.

I would love to see a link to this story.

610 or 399? Perhaps one of their "cubs"?

--------------
Signature removed for lack of payment
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 11:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(justwalkin @ Dec. 05 2012, 10:58 pm)

Yeah, $hit happens, but carrying enough fire power to deter a grizzly bear is a HUGE weight penalty and bear spray is a more proven and reliable deterrent for most times, especially when you're not carrying a shotgun, in Alaska, for instance.  
Encounters are rare, especially if you are knowledgeable.  I don't want bears to pay the price for my ignorance.
YMMV
FWIW I have had an encounter with a grizzly bear and bear spray was used successfully.  Except for some collateral damage to me (from the spray) it was a good outcome....for us and the bear.

--------------
 Post Number: 26
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 11:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There's mention they are required to carry bear spray in the park news release, no mention of it being used before the hunters opened fire.

http://www.nps.gov/grte/parknews/news-release-12-88.htm
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 10:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Dec. 05 2012, 11:59 pm)
There's mention they are required to carry bear spray in the park news release, no mention of it being used before the hunters opened fire.

http://www.nps.gov/grte/parknews/news-release-12-88.htm

I don't understand why the National Park Service would leave out such a pertinent fact.  The hunting party was a father and his two sons.  The father sprayed the bear twice, once at 20 feet and once at 10 feet.  His sons opened up with their rifles at around 8 feet.  They didn't want to shoot the bear, but felt it was absolutely necessary.  Accounts of nearby witnesses indicated that they appeared traumatized after the indident.

Perhaps the NPS failed to mention the fact that bear spray was deployed because it didn't work.  That doesn't mesh well with their talking points.

The Casper Star Tribune (www.trib.com) had good local coverage of the shooting.

--------------
 Post Number: 28
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 11:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BradMT @ Dec. 03 2012, 7:04 am)
You want to be ridiculous, use "bear bells." You'll immediately stand out as a "fake" hiker :D

Horse****. I use one because it's not nearly as ridiculous and stupid as singing or talking loudly as you hike.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 11:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Dec. 06 2012, 11:13 pm)

(BradMT @ Dec. 03 2012, 7:04 am)

Horse****. I use one because it's not nearly as ridiculous and stupid as singing or talking loudly as you hike.

Bears have a notorious sense of smell.  How about flatulence?  I can think of many things I could eat that would produce that.
Would they be repelled or attracted?
Just askin'.

--------------
 Post Number: 30
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 11:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Black bear country - I don't carry bear spray
Grizzly bear Country - I do carry bear spray

(I carry pepper spray, I haven't heard of mace being used on bears)
32 replies since Dec. 02 2012, 11:41 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Bear mace
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions