2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Mattress pad inflation?, Opinions and Advice< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
MikeRegas Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 11:48 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a NeoAir Trekker large size pad and it is a pain, well at least not any fun to inflate with my lungs. I have also read that it is not good to inflate these as the moisture from your breath is a bad thing. So I have been looking at inflation options and came across the Exped Mini Pump and the Exped Pillow Pump, either of which will work in theory although the pillow pump seems to be the more logical choice as it has two purposes. Have any of you had any experience with this combination of the NeoAir and the Exped Pump? I want to know if it is going to work although it is a cheap test I don't want to waste my time or money on it if it doesn't work with the NeoAir.

Thanks
Mike
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 11:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have the same problem with my Neo-air.  It's been addressed before on the forums.  As for inflating it by breath, I think the issue of damage is only in the winter when the moisture from your breath can freeze in the pad and damage it.  I'm sure others can elaborate.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 3
hoosierdaddy Search for posts by this member.
Trophy spouse

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 11:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you can breathe, you can inflate this thing.  Why carry the extra weight of some kind of pump?  The only reason one would want to inflate a pad using a pump instead of your breath, is IF the pad contains down.  The Trekker does not.

--------------
God, I am going to regret this someday!
 Post Number: 4
MikeRegas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 12:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hoosierdaddy @ Dec. 03 2012, 11:59 am)
If you can breathe, you can inflate this thing.  Why carry the extra weight of some kind of pump?  The only reason one would want to inflate a pad using a pump instead of your breath, is IF the pad contains down.  The Trekker does not.

The weight of the pump is like 2oz and I personally do not count the  grams so a couple of extra ounces to make inflating my bed is worth it to me. Watching the reviews you can inflate the pad in less than a minute and your not light headed when complete.
 Post Number: 5
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 12:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use my lungs for temps above freezing but an inflation device for any pads once winter hits. Here are three options that have been used on pads even bigger than your Trekker.

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews....strella

Cascade Designs is going to start selling that one themselves this winter.

Both of those work better than my Exped pump sack.

Good luck,

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 6
TrailTromper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2012, 7:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Different strokes, but I find that inflating my NeoAir by breath is such a non issue that I doubt I would ever consider any other option.  15 full deep breaths and less than a minute does it.  Even at altitude it is no big deal.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2012, 8:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well you aren't the OP are you? Obviously it is an issue for him.

--------------
 Post Number: 8
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2012, 8:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I could have used one of these pumps myself this past weekend.  Apparently I'm not as full of hot air as some might suggest.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
 Post Number: 9
skinewmexico Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2012, 4:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Instaflator! Although I am looking at that electric pump ray tested.

--------------
Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe. - Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 10
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2012, 6:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(skinewmexico @ Dec. 04 2012, 4:48 pm)
Instaflator! Although I am looking at that electric pump ray tested.

Thermarest now makes something equivalent to the Instaflator which doubles as a (very) large stuff sack.  Unfortunately, it weighs quite a bit more (3.5 oz).  Despite the weight and cost, not having to use lung power at 12 kfeet was a big savings in brain cells.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2012, 7:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, mine weighs an actual 3.2 oz. It will double as a pack liner too. That was this review:

Thermarest is about to get into sleeping bags too. They want to own the sleep market I think.

--------------
 Post Number: 12
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2012, 9:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(rayestrella @ Dec. 04 2012, 7:24 pm)
Yeah, mine weighs an actual 3.2 oz. It will double as a pack liner too. That was this review:

I found it easy to use and a welcome break from puffing.  I, too, was leery of using my NeoAir as a seat, so I can't comment on that function.
 Post Number: 13
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2012, 10:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hoosierdaddy @ Dec. 03 2012, 8:59 am)

I agree.  Unless you have noticeable respiratory problems... just inflate with your lungs.  The way I look at it, we all have to breathe... may as well put that effort to dual use (pad inflation) rather than buying and carrying get another gadget piece.

On my last hike to Mt. Whitney, inflating my Neoair was a piece of cake -- even at 12,000 ft.  The trick is to breathe out normally (no need to blow hard, it ain't a contest) and slow down more before you actually feel the exertion.  Total time wasn't noticeably different from inflating in the lowlands.

As for true winter use... I'll leave that part to those with more winter camping experience.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
12 replies since Dec. 03 2012, 11:48 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Mattress pad inflation?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions