2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Large Sleeping Bags and Pads, Need big equipment< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
LordTemplar Search for posts by this member.
LordTemplar

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2012, 6:46 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am a 6' 4" man that weighs 326, mostly muscle.  My shoulders are extra wide and I need a sleeping bag and pad that is at least 44" flat.  All I can find anymore is 20"-25" pads and mummy bags are all too small.  

Does anyone know of larger bags and pads that are light and pack reasonably small? ???

--------------
"Break On Through To The Other Side"--Jim Morrison
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
LordTemplar

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2012, 7:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am a 6' 4" man that weighs 326, mostly muscle.  My shoulders are extra wide and I need a sleeping bag and pad that is at least 44" flat.  All I can find anymore is 20"-25" pads and mummy bags are all too small.  

Does anyone know of larger bags and pads that are light and pack reasonably small?  
???

--------------
 Post Number: 3
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2012, 7:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.backcountryedge.com/big_agnes-hinman-rem-double-wide.aspx

http://www.campmor.com/kelty-double-wide-basecamp-pad.shtml

http://www.rei.com/product....ial-buy

http://www.backcountryedge.com/hyalite....12.aspx

http://www.sportchalet.com/product....9909.do

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 4
LordTemplar

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2012, 7:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks Rayestrella!  I will check out these options.

--------------
 Post Number: 5
Fatpacking Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2012, 12:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is cut and pasted from your other post...just noticed there was two...

I'm a big guy like you. I've lost weight but still coming in at 290+ with a large upper body (52" chest 60" around the shoulders) from years of weight lifting. I have a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core Pad Long Xtra-wide it is is big enough that I can sleep comfortably on it. It's 25" wide and 78" long. I'm a side sleeper.

http://www.rei.com/product/763953/big-agnes-insulated-air-core-pad

As far as a bag, I am using at the moment a Big Agnes Buffalo Park. It's a 40 degree bag but me being a warm sleeper anyways, plus a decent base layer, socks, and cap, I can use the bag down into the 30's without discomfort. I am however looking to replace it very soon with a down quilt. You can get a 6'6" extra wide quilt rated at 30 degrees stuffed with 850 down for less than $200. Over stuff it and you can get another 5 degrees out of it with very little increase in weight and you'll still be at around $200.

http://www.rei.com/product....ing-bag

Just curious, at your size, what clothes and packs are you finding that work for you? I've been thinking about starting a blog and/or youtube channel dedicated to gear for big guys. Only problem is money. Unlike some, I don't have the cash flow to buy gear just to try out new things and do reviews. I love my job but being a public servant sure doesn't pay well....lol
 Post Number: 6
Fatpacking Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2012, 12:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Is this stuff to be used backpacking? Just wondering, I assume it is since you are posting on a backpacking forum. The items Ray linked to, while they meet your size needs, I can't imagine anyone in their right mind that would want to pack a 10 pound sleeping pad. The one I linked to isn't light either, but it's only 34oz and like I said, being similar size as you, I find it has plenty of room. Have you ever actually tried a 25" wide pad or are you assuming because of your size it won't work?

The bag I linked to will definitely work. Again, at 3 pounds it's anything but light, but it gives you 80" of shoulder girth room which I find more than enough.

A quilt like I was talking about from Enlightened Equipment will run around 23oz and pack smaller than the bag I linked to. Being a quilt, you should have plenty of room.
 Post Number: 7
LordTemplar

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2012, 1:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Super info FP.  I am a backpacker and generally have difficulty finding shells and down sweaters and things to fit.  I have gone to buying big, hunting shells and hats and Cabela's thermals.  Pants are not a problem although I have a large waist and wear 48 waisted pants.

Love your idea for a show on gear for big guys and girls.  There are plenty of us out there!  Something that explores equipment and skills for large men and women might push the gear makers to create for our market!

I don't have money either, but if I win the lottery I will give you half!

--------------
 Post Number: 8
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2012, 1:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah the problem is getting over the 25" wide mark. I got a couple custom pads from Kooka Bay, who would make you any width and length you want. Unfortunately they went out of business this year.

http://www.sotar.com/boat-specifications/sleeping-pads.html

These guys make a 27" wide but they may be as heavy as the double-wides.

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 9
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2012, 2:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Maybe an Exped Mega Mat?  It weighs almost 5.5 lbs.  But not bad for the R-value of 9.5, 4 inches thick, 77.5 inches long and 30 inches wide.
It is extremely comfortable.  We use them for guests and when car camping.  Two of them just fit in an MSR  Mutha Hubba,

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 10
LordTemplar

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2012, 4:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Rayestrella and ToesNorth  I will see what I can do to find the equipment you mentioned.  I greatly appreciate it.

The bag I am using is a rectangular bag, good to -20º F and made by Cabela's.  It is the largest I had found is 44" wide.  It is a wonderful sleep, but it is 17+ lbs!  I looked at quilts and would love to have one but who makes custom ones?  I may end up having to make one myself.

--------------
 Post Number: 11
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2012, 4:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Do you need a bag good to -20?
Jacksrbetter makes a quilt that is 86" long, 48" wide and rated 5-10 degrees.  AND, it only weighs 27 ounces.
It is called The Old Rag Mtn quilt and is available in 800 or 900 fill.

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 12
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2012, 4:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(toesnorth @ Dec. 04 2012, 4:30 pm)
Do you need a bag good to -20?
Jacksrbetter makes a quilt that is 86" long, 48" wide and rated 5-10 degrees.  AND, it only weighs 27 ounces.
It is called The Old Rag Mtn quilt and is available in 800 or 900 fill.

They also have their large quilts that are 62" wide both 3 season and winter model

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 13
LordTemplar

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2012, 4:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I will check into that!!!!  It would serve me more than the bag I have.

--------------
 Post Number: 14
LordTemplar

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2012, 4:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cool, thanks Chuck!!!!

--------------
13 replies since Dec. 04 2012, 6:46 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Large Sleeping Bags and Pads
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions