2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: suggestions for good winter stoves.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
davela Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2012, 9:33 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

looking for a good lightweight winter stove.Are alcohol or esbit stoves functional in winter at 8000ft and above?
How about Whitebox stoves.

thanx

--------------

Protect Greater Canyonlands!

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2012, 10:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This last winter, I was at 8,000 feet in single digits using a Whitebox stove on the slopes of the South Sister in the Three Sisters Wilderness. Worked just fine. Just remember that you need to put it on something so it doesn't sink down into the snow...

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2012, 11:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

thx.
8k is minimum...im usually camping at 9-11k ft.Still ok at that elevation?

--------------

Post Number: 4
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2012, 11:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What is the use? Just boiling water for a meal? Yes I have done it many times. Backpacking and melting snow for water, not really.

For long trips I take either a MSR XGK (3 generations), a Coleman Xpert Xtreme (no longer made) or a MSR Reactor w/2.5 L pot.

For quick overnighters that I can carry water or get access to liquid I take the Trail Designs Keg F.

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews....strella

Since I wrote that review I had the guys make me a new cone out of titanium as the original aluminum cone got beat up. It is hard to baby stuff in winter, I think it is just $20.00 more for it in Ti. We finally got our freeze back so I plan to head out tomorrow and will be taking the Keg as we have no snow now. (Stupid thaw...)

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 5
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2012, 11:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have cooked up to 10k with mine but not in winter. I would assume it would be fine...but that would be just an assumption.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 6
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 12:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Dec. 04 2012, 11:13 pm)
I have cooked up to 10k with mine but not in winter. I would assume it would be fine...but that would be just an assumption.

I've used alcohol stoves up to 12 kfeet at temps down to 10F with no problems, other than taking a while to light.
 Post Number: 7
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 12:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

But as mentioned I wouldn't want to try and melt snow for drinking ( necessary as winter progresses and flowing streams freeze up and and anyway get too dangerous to mess with as the snowpack puts them further and further out of reach way down in some hole...) with anything other than a pumped liquid fuel stove, the XGK family or equivalent. Snow melting takes a lot of btus and a lot of heat output is what the pumped stoves do very well.
 Post Number: 8
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 1:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Dec. 05 2012, 12:46 am)
But as mentioned I wouldn't want to try and melt snow for drinking ( necessary as winter progresses and flowing streams freeze up and and anyway get too dangerous to mess with as the snowpack puts them further and further out of reach way down in some hole...) with anything other than a pumped liquid fuel stove, the XGK family or equivalent. Snow melting takes a lot of btus and a lot of heat output is what the pumped stoves do very well.

I agree.  For snow, I'd go with white gas.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 1:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So my canister stove is no good for melting snow?

--------------

Post Number: 10
Dennis Waite Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 6:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sure, canisters will melt snow, but it isn't cost effective, and given the practical range of temperatures where a canister functions at the most efficiently, you are much better off with a white gas stove. For quick and short trips, the canister will be fine. For longer, more remote trips stick with the white gas. The weight difference will become minimal when you consider the weight of extra canisters needed for melting snow. My rule of thumb for white gas is approximately 1/3 liter per day per person for cooking and snow melting when depending 100% on snow for drinking water. Others may have different results.

--------------
Dennis Waite
 Post Number: 11
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 1:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The good old MSR Whisperlite is my go to for in the winter.
 Post Number: 12
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 1:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When doing 'actual' cooking and melting snow we use our trusty old MSR Dragonfly. áIt's a workhorse and we like to eat well in the winter. áI can cook great (no false modesty here) meals and bake bread, cinnamon rolls, etc.

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
 Post Number: 13
Dennis Waite Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 4:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

MSR Dragonfly is a great stove, as is the Primus Omni-fuel. At one time the Optimus Nova was a great stove but since their sale to Katadyn they've become so-so performers. These stoves have great flame control from simmer to full blast.

--------------
Dennis Waite
 Post Number: 14
leadbelly2550 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 5:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i use the optimus nova with white gas.
 Post Number: 15
vinovampire Search for posts by this member.
Winter is Coming

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 7:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(davela @ Dec. 05 2012, 1:44 am)
So my canister stove is no good for melting snow?

I don't know what kind of canister stove that you own, but a canister stove can work well in the winter if the canister can be inverted. For example, the MSR WindPro II allows you to flip the canister upside down, so the fuel runs through the line in liquid form, which is pre-heated when it gets to the stove itself.
14 replies since Dec. 04 2012, 9:33 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply suggestions for good winter stoves.
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions