2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Help Me Decide, Gore tex v non gortex< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 10:51 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have in my hot little hands two pairs of boots:

1.  Asolo Powermatic 200 GV...w/Gortex lining

2.  Asolo Powermatic 250, nubuck, w/out lining.

Both fit great, been wearing them around the office but I am leaning towards the non Gore models.

I actually had a pair of these about a year or so ago but returned as I never thought I would get to them..I have three pairs of leather/fabric boots but my feet are a changing.

So...lots of wet weather hiking in the Adirondacks, muddy trails spring and fall, loads of creeks etc.

I can treat the nubuck.....I wear gaiters in sloppy weather and based on experience, if I fall into a deep creek, it don't matter what I have on my feet, dem feets are gonna get wet.

Soooo....pros cons?

one pair goes back today

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 11:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think it is a pretty personal decision.  Many folks around here don't seem to like gore-tex at all.
I do.  I like not worrying about my socks and feet getting wet and my feet don't sweat much at all so it works well for me.

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 11:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't notice all that much difference between GTX (or equivalent) and non-GTX, so it's never a major factor in my decisions.
 Post Number: 4
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 11:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For desert hiking, I really don't like gore-tex or any kind of waterproofing. The problem I've experienced is that the permeable membranes don't wick moisture fast enough to keep my feet dry. I had to abort a hike once because of that situation where continually moist feet led to some serious blistering.

I guess in places where it's wet hiking, gortex may keep your feet dryer than boots without it.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 5
SmokeyBear Search for posts by this member.
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 11:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Adirondacks in the spring and fall - you'll want as much waterproofing as possible.  Full grain leather barely breathes as is, and waxing leather makes it no more breathable than GTX lined models, yet not as waterproof.

In the same vein, I don't find goretex models any warmer than non-gtx for full grain leather boots (the main factor is insulation, which is provided by the leather - I do find nylon GTX boots warmer). But any additional warmth it might provide for those that do might be a welcome thing during the spring and fall.

I hike mostly in central Ontario where the conditions are quite similar to the Adirondacks, and I always appreciate my GTX. My buddy who has some Asolo boots TPS 520 GV (non-gtx) found that even after heavy application of waxing they would still wet out after a couple of days, and will probably buy a pair of GTX boots next time.
 Post Number: 6
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 11:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As mentioned - Personal opinion. Given the choice, I'll go Gore-Tex year-round. I've walked in a creek for hours in my last three pairs of Gore-Tex boots and my feet were bone dry. I don't think the same can be said for a pair of boots that don't have a breathable membrane. Gaiters help but after hours...if not days of wet hiking, a membrane makes a big difference in happy dry feet.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 7
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 12:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Guess I'd go with the gore-tex as well unless you do the majority of your hiking in hot climates.  When I got my first pair of gore-tex lined boots, I was worried about them being too warm but that hasn't been an issue.  And they do seem to keep my feet drier.  But as has been mentioned, it's a personal decision.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 8
leadbelly2550 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 1:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i have never owned a pair of leather boots with a gtx membrane.  i treat them periodically.  for normal wet conditions - mud, puddles, rain storms - they are fine.  but they aren't waders, and i wouldn't use them to stand in a stream for extended periods of time.  

in lighter shoes that are leather/nylon blends, my issue with gtx is that the friction and pressure that gets placed on boots seems to damage the membrane much faster than you normally see for a jacket or pants.  i haven't owned a pair of gtx shoes/boots where the waterproof membrane lasted more than 18 months as a result.  because that boot you are looking at is built to last for quite a while, not a disposable product, i would tend to veer away from buying it with a membrane that isn't likely to last as long as the rest of the boot.
 Post Number: 9
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 2:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Another vote for personal preference. I do a lot of shallow stream crossings where I walk through a couple inches of water, or make my way over barely submerged rocks. I like having a waterproof shoe or boot, because it's usually enough to ensure my feet don't get soaked. My feet don't sweat too bad, and I really haven't noticed a difference between more highly breathable shoes and Gore-Tex in comfort, so it's a winner for me.
I recently bought a pair of Garmont shoes that I'm breaking in a little before hitting the trail with, and again chose Gore-Tex.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 3:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Full grain leather barely breathes as is, and waxing leather makes it no more breathable than GTX lined models, yet not as waterproof.

Good point..but my main concern is the outer, be it leather or fabric, wetting out in colder conditions.  I was kind of hoping fgl or the nb would take to a treatment

I do find nylon GTX boots warmer). But any additional warmth it might provide for those that do might be a welcome thing during the spring and fall.

The only time my feet get cold is if I am stationary but my current boots always wet out and stay cold-er..when you try to put on in the morning

for normal wet conditions - mud, puddles, rain storms - they are fine.  but they aren't waders, and i wouldn't use them to stand in a stream for extended periods of time.

my thoughts exactly..btw my waders leak now!! :angry:

When I got my first pair of gore-tex lined boots, I was worried about them being too warm but that hasn't been an issue.

Jer, are those the Crestas?  

I'm looking at a boot here that retails for $300 and it has a two year warranty...whereas the Cresta is guaranteed for life....hmmm so are their waders.

Every boot I've ever worn has been either gore, event or in the case of some HiTecs, proprietary lining.  Not sure why I am looking to make this change so late in life.

Oh...There is a lovely young lady at work here who used to travel overseas while employed by Timberland Boots..and the first thing she mentioned was the FGL was coated w/PU...apparently to achieve a lower tariff...she also thought they were glued sloppily vs the NB...funny she said:   yup...they're Romanian..."that's what happens...if you want good boot construction you need to go to China..."

She did this for years, must know something

--------------
 Post Number: 11
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 7:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

buy them both..which ever one you decide to keep, well...just send me the other pair..

--------------
www.mybackpacking.blog.com

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 12
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 1:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(leadbelly2550 @ Dec. 06 2012, 1:40 pm)
i have never owned a pair of leather boots with a gtx membrane.  i treat them periodically.  for normal wet conditions - mud, puddles, rain storms - they are fine.  but they aren't waders, and i wouldn't use them to stand in a stream for extended periods of time.  

In my experience it's not the intermittent streams or puddles that are the issue - any treated leather can deal with that. It's the the constant mud and wet vegetation that make boots wet out more than anything. In cool wet conditions the leather just doesn't dry out and eventually that moisture finds its way inside.
 Post Number: 13
highpeakdrifter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 1:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Goretex shoes are great for light moisture like hiking in wet grass, but remember, if you let water inside from crossing a stream, it will never come out...it will slosh around all day until you sit down, take off your shoes, and dump out the water.

You'll get tired of this fast.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 7:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Goretex shoes are great for light moisture like hiking in wet grass, but remember, if you let water inside from crossing a stream, it will never come out...it will slosh around all day until you sit down, take off your shoes, and dump out the water.

which has happened more than once. :)

Gotta Gamble:  Which pair would you prefer me to send your way?? (this may be the deciding factor!)

--------------
 Post Number: 15
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 10:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(highpeakdrifter @ Dec. 07 2012, 1:38 am)

You'll get tired of this fast.

That's what gaiters are for. :)
 Post Number: 16
LiteMan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 11:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(desert dweller @ Dec. 06 2012, 11:42 am)
For desert hiking, I really don't like gore-tex or any kind of waterproofing. The problem I've experienced is that the permeable membranes don't wick moisture fast enough to keep my feet dry. I had to abort a hike once because of that situation where continually moist feet led to some serious blistering.

I guess in places where it's wet hiking, gortex may keep your feet dryer than boots without it.

I'm not a fan of Gore-tex myself, but i suppose it's really individual thing re: blisters etc.  

Some years ago, before i knew better, I hiked about 500 mi across Spain during the Summer and experienced some very hot temps at times, and used Gore tex hiking shoes (Ecco brand) part of the time and never got one blister.  

But i supplemented with a pair of Teva sandals when the conditions allowed for it, and i would take off my wool socks during eating periods, turn them inside out and let them dry some before putting them back on.  But i would wear the socks with the sandals too.  

Out of all the people i talked to on that trip, i was the only one i came across that didn't get any blisters.   It may be my feet sweat less than others though.  

The WPB technology is definitely improving now that Gore Tex is being stood up to by other major companies, and while i would never by another pair of Gore Tex shoes i might consider buying some other eVent or the like type shoes.  

But as others have said on this site before, most WPB shoes take a real long time to dry out once they do get sopping wet and that's a big factor to consider for colder weather especially.
 Post Number: 17
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 11:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(LiteMan @ Dec. 07 2012, 11:22 am)
  The WPB technology is definitely improving now that Gore Tex is being stood up to by other major companies, and while i would never by another pair of Gore Tex shoes i might consider buying some other eVent or the like type shoes.  

It isn't so much that other companies are 'standing up' to Gore-tex.  Gore-tex's patent expired.

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
 Post Number: 18
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 11:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wcolucci @ Dec. 07 2012, 7:14 am)
Gotta Gamble:  Which pair would you prefer me to send your way?? (this may be the deciding factor!)

ohhh man, now the descision is on me????? Geeeze the pressure.....

hmmmmmmmmmm...

I cant decide...surprise me....

--------------
www.mybackpacking.blog.com

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 12:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(toesnorth @ Dec. 07 2012, 11:52 am)

It isn't so much that other companies are 'standing up' to Gore-tex.  Gore-tex's patent expired.

True, but there was a good article recently on here about Gore Tex's bullying practices and that for awhile they successfully used scare tactics to keep competition down.  

There are, and have been other technologies different enough to patent separately, but when major brands are scared to sell non Gore stuff because Gore has and would pull out their support of them...well that can affect the market with such a rich giant goes to the extremes to try to monopolize.  

I think besides the patent issue, enough companies and people got fed up enough to more directly face Gore and outright say their stuff is better.  

One reason why i wouldn't buy Gore Tex again is on principle, because i wouldn't want to support a company that has had that kind of pattern, just like i don't support Walmart and some other less ethical companies.
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 12:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The article i referenced:

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor....age=all
 Post Number: 21
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 4:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(LiteMan @ Dec. 07 2012, 12:04 pm)

(toesnorth @ Dec. 07 2012, 11:52 am)

True, but there was a good article recently on here about Gore Tex's bullying practices and that for awhile they successfully used scare tactics to keep competition down.  

There are, and have been other technologies different enough to patent separately, but when major brands are scared to sell non Gore stuff because Gore has and would pull out their support of them...well that can affect the market with such a rich giant goes to the extremes to try to monopolize.  

I think besides the patent issue, enough companies and people got fed up enough to more directly face Gore and outright say their stuff is better.  

One reason why i wouldn't buy Gore Tex again is on principle, because i wouldn't want to support a company that has had that kind of pattern, just like i don't support Walmart and some other less ethical companies.

Merrell has always and continues to use both gore and non-gore membranes for their footwear.

But this is not the point of the OP's question. It seems that you almost inevitably atttempt to make every thread about some principle against consumerism. There's a time and place - and this is not the place. This is the gear forum, so let's not go off in these tangents here. Bring it to the political arena.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2012, 7:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Out of town for a few days, (NYC...I think I ate ten lbs of pastrami!!!!!).

I know you were all awaiting anxiously the decision:

Tune to NBC at 8 PM EST for the live broadcast.....

I'm going w/the non Gore models..and a few cans of Kiwi Camp Dri...

Unless:  Better suggestions for waterproofing the outer leather??

--------------
21 replies since Dec. 06 2012, 10:51 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Help Me Decide
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions