2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Packing Your Backpack, With a wet tent< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 10:14 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So after my last two backpacking/camping trips where my tent was wet by the end of our trip and I"m looking for information on how others deal with a wet tent.  For example, do you do the stuff sack routine where everything has it's own little bag?  Or do you just stuff everything in the pack and deal with it at the next site?  What about just putting everything dry in the pack and leaving the rainfly and/or tent in an outside pocket so it doesn't get everything else wet?

There's tons of video's on u tube about packing your backpack but none deal with stuff being wet.

I swear I have never packed my backpack the same way twice.

Thanks for your input.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 10:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you DWR your rainfly and the bottom of your tent, it will shake nearly completely dry.

If you use a drysack for your wet tent, it will keep everything around it dry.

If you use a piece of 3 mil painter's tarp for a ground cloth, it won't hold moisture and shake nearly completely dry and packs down incredibly small.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 10:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I usually stuff my tents in a stuff sack: often my REI flash 18 that I use as a summit pack, turned inside out.

All my tents are double-walled, so it would be the fly, not the tent, that would be wet. I usually carry a kitchen size garbage bag so that I can stuff the wet fly into that (inside the stuff sack.) That way the inner tent and other dry things are isolated from the wet fly.
 Post Number: 4
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 10:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use the outside pocket for a wet tent.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 11:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tigger, I plan on DWRing the tent fly, I like your idea of doing the bottom to.

However, I plan on using one of the stuff sacks I already have as a designated rain fly storage bag.  I never knew people did this.  I guess I never backpacked in enough rain to be concerned with it.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
 Post Number: 6
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 11:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikingFF77 @ Dec. 07 2012, 10:03 am)
I guess I never backpacked in enough rain to be concerned with it.

Heh--most of my BPing is summer in the high Rockies, where one expects rain every afternoon.

And before that, I lived in the PNW, where one always accounts for the possibility of rain.

I honestly can't remember the last BPing trip I went on where there was no rain at all.
 Post Number: 7
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 11:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I usually place my main tent body in the stuff sack in came in and put the fly which is usually the only really wet part in a grocery sack that I bring along. You can always find some use for a grocery sack, like keeping my boots in it at night so they don't get wet, etc. My ground cloth is a piece of tyvek and it gets shook out and folded up so the wet side is on the inner part of the folds
 Post Number: 8
peeb Search for posts by this member.
Let's see who's been naughty, and who's been naughty!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 12:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We either stuff it it an outside pocket/strap it to the outside or, if for some reason space doesn't allow for it, it goes in the main part of the pack in a large garbage bag.  If we've been really lucky only the fly is truly wet, and maybe the groundsheet.

Most often we keep our "can't get wet stuff" already in contractor bags or waterproof stuff sacks, so we don't worry so much about the wet tent inside the pack.  But we've also found it prudent in the last couple of years to keep an extra contractor bag around.

On our big trip this summer we kept a wet tarptent on the outside and set it up at a lunch break to dry out.  We were lucky to get out of the cloud we'd been camping in - the whole thing was sopping from condensation  :D

--------------
It's all so simple when you break it down scientifically - Nick Bakay
 Post Number: 9
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 12:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just put it in the stuff sack and put it in the pack.  It's never really been a problem.  If it's just soaking wet, I'll put the entire tent and stuff sack in a plastic garbage bag and then put it in the pack.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 10
LiteMan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 12:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Dec. 07 2012, 10:34 am)

This is what i did last time when my tent was wet (up in the White Mountains).
 Post Number: 11
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 1:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use compression sack for my tent and fly. I usually have the fly in a seperate sack..ie the one it came with when I bought the tent. I then put it in same sack as tent and compress it. Overkill? maybe, but at least if the fly is soaked nothing else in my pack or my tent will get wet from it. The outside pockets on my pack usually have other nessecities stuffed in there, like my rain gear, first aid kit and some other things I may need quick access to, so my fly wouldnt really fit in there..I'd also be weary of somehow getting it snagged or falling out while I hiked and not knowing that I lost it...that would really suck..

--------------
www.mybackpacking.blog.com

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 3:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Gotta, I completely agree.  I had my poles strapped to the back of my pack and I constantly checked for them being on the back of my pack.

I am seriously thrilled about the ways you guys pack up your stuff.  IN all honesty I have never packed my tent away wet, except the last too trips, so I never really had this problem.  I'm def. going to keep it in mind for my next trip.  This will ensure it doesn't rain.  ;)

--------------
 Post Number: 13
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 3:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Dec. 07 2012, 10:27 am)
If you DWR your rainfly and the bottom of your tent, it will shake nearly completely dry.

If you use a piece of 3 mil painter's tarp for a ground cloth, it won't hold moisture and shake nearly completely dry and packs down incredibly small.

Tigger, or anybody.  Where do I get DWR?  Is that the name, or compound?  Can't seem to find it.  Thanks

Not meaning to hijack the thread.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 14
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 3:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Durable Water Repellent - I use cheap stuff (Kiwi Campdry Heavyduty) because...it works very well. With that said, I haven't done comparisons to other products in almost ten years. REI sells several brands.

--------------
 Post Number: 15
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 3:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bad knees @ Dec. 07 2012, 3:38 pm)

(Tigger @ Dec. 07 2012, 10:27 am)

Tigger, or anybody.  Where do I get DWR?  Is that the name, or compound?  Can't seem to find it.  Thanks

Not meaning to hijack the thread.

Kiwi Camp Dry

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 16
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 3:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh.  Duh.  Spanx guys   :)

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 17
skinewmexico Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 10:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Dec. 07 2012, 9:34 am)

Me too.

--------------
Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe. - Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 18
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 10:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Me, too.  Wet or dry.

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
 Post Number: 19
onepaddlejunkie Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 10:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I pack pretty much everything in dry bags.

For DWR….
I like Nikwax for porous surfaces like shoes, cloth of all kinds and hard shells.  http://www.nikwax.com/en-us/index.php
For Syl Nylon tarps and flys I like Kiwi Camp Dry® Heavy Duty Water Repellent.
I have also used Kiwi Camp Dry® Fabric Protector and it did a good job but I don’t think it last as long as the NikWax products.
 Post Number: 20
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 1:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I put mine in a waterproof stuff sack (if the stock one is not I swap it for one of mine) and keep it on the very top of the pack body, but under the lid. I am testing a Sea to Summit dry Daypack which is like a drybag with straps and had brought all my down stuff packed in it at the bottom of my pack. But this morning as I was going to be dealing with a tent that was wet inside from condensation and outside from the light snow that was falling I switched and just stuffed my down in the bottom of the pack and once everything else was packed I jumped out, broke the tent down and shoved it into the drybag. That way there was no way that any water was getting on my stuff.

Which reminds me, I need to get it out and hang it up to dry.

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 21
theosus Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 8:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use a dry sack for my fly, usually the hammock is dry, but it has it's own dry sack. The one time my fly was really wet, most of it shook right off. But it was fine in the dry sack. If it was really wet it could go in its sack and be clipped on the outside of the pack. I line the top of my pack with a trash compacter liner (like a thick garbage bag), and my sleeping bag has it's own liner inside the bag pocket, so I dont really rely on anything else to keep the sleeping bag dry. Barring falling in the stream, it should stay dry.

--------------
The flamethrower is proof positive that sometime, somewhere, someone once said, "You, know, I'd really like to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."
My Blog
 Post Number: 22
hike500 Search for posts by this member.
Desert Dweller

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 12:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Dec. 07 2012, 8:34 am)

+1

--------------
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow"
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 1:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thank you all very much, I will be trying the techniques here the very next time we backpack.

--------------
 Post Number: 24
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2012, 8:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Late jumping in, but one of the things I always look for (or add) when shopping for a new pack are external bottom straps for my tent!  Thinking about it...

1.  Setting up camp -- the first thing to do ought to be setting up your tent (in case weather changes).  And if it's already raining, having your tent attached to the outside of your pack means you don't have to open up your pack to the rain while rummaging for your tent.

2.  Striking camp -- raining or not (but esp. when raining) -- it's just nice and systematic to pack everything first, seal / cinch up the pack -- all under the protection of your tent or tarp.  After that, you put on your rain hat and jacket (if need be), pack up your tent, attach it to the outside of your pack -- and you're good to go.

Mud?  Who cares?  Won't ever come into contact with the insides of your pack or its contents.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 25
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2012, 11:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Dec. 07 2012, 8:34 am)

+1 Most modern packs have a stretch mesh or something similar to secure your wet tent outside the pack, letting it dry the next day.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 26
leadbelly2550 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2012, 6:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i agree - outside pocket or bungee-strapped to the outside.
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2012, 9:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Now, on top of just wanting to go backpacking again, I'm also looking forward to trying this new (to me) technique out.  I like trying to improve my packing/unpacking/being organized process as best as possible.  This info will def. help do that.

--------------
 Post Number: 28
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2012, 2:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My concern with a wet anything would be introducing large amounts of moisture to the interior of the pack so I'd want my dry bag to be of the completely sealable variety to pack a wet tent inside my pack. Otherwise the increased humidity inside the pack bag would necessarily transfer moisture to everything else in the bag not completely sealed off. Most waterproof stuff sacks are just drawstring closed and that's not a complete seal.

So for me a wet tent is outside my main pack bag, at the least under the lid outside the top bag closure.
 Post Number: 29
leadbelly2550 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2012, 9:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

true.  would need a sea to summit dry bag, stiff roll top that folds over and clips.
 Post Number: 30
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2012, 10:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(leadbelly2550 @ Dec. 17 2012, 6:30 pm)
true.  would need a sea to summit dry bag, stiff roll top that folds over and clips.

+1

That's what I use.

--------------
29 replies since Dec. 07 2012, 10:14 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Packing Your Backpack
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions