2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: 3 day trip with new Aarn pack, Trip and gear report< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Jambeaux Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 11:24 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just returned from a 3 day trip in the Ellicott Rock Wilderness. Elevation 1900 – 3400 ft. Temp 58 – 29 degrees. Mostly sunny.

This was my first opportunity to use my newly acquired Aarn pack, the Guiding Light model. I was happy to find that it carried the 35 lb pack weight quite well. What they say is true regarding the improved posture. For the first time in my backpacking life I didn’t involuntarily lean forward. I own several packs and can easily see how the Aarn will be my go-to pack.

I also used another piece of new equipment, the Thermarest Z lite Sol. I think that I will go back to my Exped Synmat. The Thermarest was warm enough but the hard ground seemed to come right through. I also had to lash it to the outside of the pack and that made shimmying under the numerous fallen trees more problematic.

I tried to post some photos along with this message but they wouldn't upload. I must be doing something wrong.

--------------
laissez le bon temps rouler
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 1:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here we are Al :

I chose this shot because it is the classic Aarn stance.
Note that Al hasn't gone Ul yet (!!!) but he is obviously comfortably standing upright , no need to lean on those sticks.
And this is why :

it's all about balance.
my 3 season pack is smaller than Al's but I have the same pockets except that I carry my water inside Gatorade bottles and inside the pockets.
BTW, I would suggest loading the top pocket so that it sits closer to your head
Something like me in this shot :

Ignore the dangling bits...
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 8:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You're right Franco, my pack weight isn't quite what I'd like it to be. It should drop by about 3lbs when my new Tarptent arrives (any day now).

Like you, I also noticed that the top of my pack seemed to angle away from my head. Also I had to move the sleeping pad to under the top flap of the pack. You can see that in some of the photos. It was still angled away from my head. I thought about trying to bring it forward by tightening the load lifter straps but it felt good and carried easily so I just left well enough alone. Keep on offering your observations and advice however. I alwas need things to stimulate the old brain.

--------------
 Post Number: 4
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 8:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Is that black thing on the back the ZLite? Is that some kind of cover?

It looks like those front pockets can hold quite a bit.

I have some Ribz that I may try out this winter to try the concept.

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 9:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(rayestrella @ Dec. 09 2012, 8:42 am)
Is that black thing on the back the ZLite? Is that some kind of cover?

It looks like those front pockets can hold quite a bit.

I have some Ribz that I may try out this winter to try the concept.

Yes Ray, the sleeping pad is in a stuff sack. I started the hike with it lashed to the back of the pack but later in the hike I moved it to under the top flap. With it lashed to the back it made my profile too high when I needed to shimmy under trees that had fallen across the trail.

These balance pockets on the Aarn work the way they do because they are connected to the hip belt thus you have weight dearing down on the hip belt from both the back and the front.

--------------
 Post Number: 6
hummm Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 11:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I got an Aarn Natural Balance this siring.  I have used it for a nine day trip and several shorter trips.  Yes the front pockets hold a lot.  Its nice to have everything you need for the day in the pockets in front of you.  But the best part is having the load balanced as you walk.

It takes some work to get the pack adjusted and to work with the loading, but when you get it zeroed in for yourself it sure is nice.  The Natural Balance is a large pack, I could have dropped down a size.
5 replies since Dec. 07 2012, 11:24 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply 3 day trip with new Aarn pack
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions