2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: What's your other getting for Christmas?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 3:17 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What are you getting your backpacking lady or guy this year?
I'm looking into some new gloves, maybe a down jacket for mine.
Fishing for ideas here ;)
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 3:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My wife doesn't backpack but I buy her new winter gloves every year and often new boots.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 7:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here is nogods annual guide to xmas gift giving:

1.  Figure out their favorite color.  

2.  Make a list with gender, amount to be spent, and favorite color.

3.  Go to a full service department store.  When a clerk ask "may I help you" say "yes, I need you to collect gender appropriate gifts in the specify colors costing about the amount stated on this list.  Please wrap them and include the gift receipts in the boxes.  I'll be back tomorrow to pick them up and pay for them."

4.  when you return to the store give the clerk a generous tip.

5.  When you give the gifts, the receiver will be delighted that you went to all of the trouble to select something in their favorite color.  They are most likely going to take back whatever you give them anyway (unless it is cash) so they will be even more delighted that you have included the gift receipt.

6.  Now you can spend all that time i saved you hiking in the woods.
 Post Number: 4
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 7:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Dec. 07 2012, 7:06 pm)

3.  Go to a full service department store.  When a clerk ask "may I help you" say "yes, I need you to collect gender appropriate gifts in the specify colors costing about the amount stated on this list.  Please wrap them and include the gift receipts in the boxes.  I'll be back tomorrow to pick them up and pay for them."

5.  When you give the gifts, the receiver will be delighted that you went to all of the trouble to select something in their favorite color.  They are most likely going to take back whatever you give them anyway (unless it is cash) so they will be even more delighted that you have included the gift receipt.

Genius!

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
 Post Number: 5
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 8:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(toesnorth @ Dec. 07 2012, 4:14 pm)

Genius!

+1

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 6
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 5:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I used to go shopping on Christmas Eve.  That way I didn't have time to even think about color.
 Post Number: 7
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 6:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Dec. 07 2012, 8:51 pm)

(toesnorth @ Dec. 07 2012, 4:14 pm)

Genius!

+1

+2 Well played, sir. Well played.

Mine is also a non-backpacker (though she did go on a day hike with me this year!).  So it's shoes, boots, and a tattoo for her.

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 8
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 6:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In my best Rod Roddy voice

A new Car

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 9
onepaddlejunkie Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 8:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For Christmas, my wife likes little tiny boxes with shiny things in them.  If I buy any gear, I automatically have to buy two so I will have at least one for myself.  She doesn’t want any snowshoes though.  I already checked.

nogods IS a genius.
 Post Number: 10
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 9:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Get a bunch of small things like merino wool socks, hand and toe warmers, sporks or a long Ti spoon, whistle, a FBC coozie. etc.
 Post Number: 11
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 9:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My "other" is brand new, untested, and iffy. So far, a specific book, and 2pr each of Smartwool, Point 6, and Icebreaker merino wool socks in different colors.

My family tells each other what we want, and sometimes buy our own gifts ahead of time to swap with the giver in exchange for cash(that's how I know I'm getting a 150wt Icebreaker L/S top and some more Point 6 socks, myself).
 Post Number: 12
Trojans1993 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 11:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Unfortunately my wife got a hold of my Alctrec catalogue that just arrived and they were very clever to put some very nice women's clothing/jackets/boots/etc in the very front and now I have marked up catalogue with sizes and colors already marked up (geeze thanks).  She particularly like some Timberland knee high boots so that might be the winner.
 Post Number: 13
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 4:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(EastieTrekker @ Dec. 08 2012, 6:09 am)
Mine is also a non-backpacker (though she did go on a day hike with me this year!).  So it's shoes, boots, and a tattoo for her.

Sounds like my type of lady friend! She happen to have an older sister? :;):

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 4:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tomas @ Dec. 08 2012, 4:33 pm)

I know a lot of tattooed women who don't backpack.  Want me to send them your way?

--------------
 Post Number: 15
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 5:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tomas @ Dec. 08 2012, 3:33 pm)

Well since he's picky I'll meet the younger ones. ;-)

I don't have an Other to buy for, but I can make suggestions. Toesnorth can get hubby a laser sight for his bear spray. He he he

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 9:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(toesnorth @ Dec. 08 2012, 4:39 pm)

(tomas @ Dec. 08 2012, 4:33 pm)

I know a lot of tattooed women who don't backpack.  Want me to send them your way?

I'd prefer a backpacker...

--------------
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 9:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(rayestrella @ Dec. 08 2012, 5:03 pm)
I don't have an Other to buy for, but I can make suggestions. Toesnorth can get hubby a laser sight for his bear spray. He he he

:angry:

--------------
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 9:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tomas @ Dec. 08 2012, 9:10 pm)
I'd prefer a backpacker...

Ah............they're more rare..........and valuable.    :;):

--------------
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 8:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So I have learned.

--------------
 Post Number: 20
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 8:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just order the lady one of those Light my fire Swedish Fire knives. I caught her gawking at it in the local store. I think that will make her day.
Now she can shank with the comfort of a fire.
 Post Number: 21
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 10:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Haha

Tomas & Ray - sorry to disappoint, but she only has an older brother.  She's committed to coming on more dayhikes in 2013, and a car camp or two.  But so far, no commitment to backpacking (work in progress - and I suspect if I do convince her I'll be carrying a very large capacity pack, while she will be carrying, well, less).

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 22
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 4:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, we just recently got a new dog.  By the time we had her spayed, got her shots and her city tags, it was about $400.00.  We've decided she'll be our present to each other and limit individual gifts to each other to a few small stocking stuffers.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 23
leadbelly2550 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 4:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

though my wife's commitment to hiking is decidedly less than mine, she likes new gear sometimes.  last year, i gave her an eVent hard shell that was very well-received; this year (we're hanukkah), she got ugg slippers for the holidays.
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2012, 9:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(leadbelly2550 @ Dec. 10 2012, 4:06 pm)
though my wife's commitment to hiking is decidedly less than mine, she likes new gear sometimes.  last year, i gave her an eVent hard shell that was very well-received; this year (we're hanukkah), she got ugg slippers for the holidays.

What is she getting for the other 7 nights?

--------------
 Post Number: 25
hiroshimajaro082 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 7:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

November was our 10th anniversary so my wife said in lieu of Christmas presents she wanted Tiffany wedding bands, nothing bling just traditional bands.  It was something we couldn't afford back in the day but can now so I obliged.  Wife happy, life happy!  I did get her a Patagonia Nano Puff Hoody so she has something to open under the tree.  For our daughter she is getting a new bike & a few new outfits.  She is reaching the age where clothes need to meet her standard of "cute".  It is so much easier when she was little  :p

--------------
"Some people feel the rain, while others just get wet."
 Post Number: 26
overthehillwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2012, 12:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A 5 night Canyonlands backpacking permit for the Maze during Spring Break.
 Post Number: 27
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2012, 1:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(overthehillwalker @ Dec. 14 2012, 9:19 pm)
A 5 night Canyonlands backpacking permit for the Maze during Spring Break.

Nice!

I think mine is getting a workstand for the bikes.  Which I will use about ten times more than he will. :p

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 28
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 20 2012, 7:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Can't divulge, but was trying to wrap it,  and  just dropped it and it broke into a bazillion pieces.  Stocking stuffer down the drain.  Crap! :(

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 29
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 20 2012, 9:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just in case we all live past 12-12-21, I bought each of my kids a sawyer all in one water filter kit.  

A few weeks ago a local community had to boil water for several days because of some problem with their water supply.  While listening to the them tell of the hassle of having to boil water for everything, it dawned on me that the sawyer all in one filter kit would have been very convenient with the faucet hook up.

It'll reduce their "money" gift, and I'm sure they'll complain, but if they every need to filter water they'll change their mind about it.
 Post Number: 30
OldGuyWalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 3:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Jewelry.
Every year about September she gives me a list with very specific details.
I buy 2 or 3 items off the list.
I never fail.
When I deviate from the list, I fail.
Never deviate from the list... ever...
29 replies since Dec. 07 2012, 3:17 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply What's your other getting for Christmas?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions