2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Tarp Shelters, Lets see 'em!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
TWinAlbany Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 4:36 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I did a search and didn't come up with anything satisfactory so, if you got pics and don't mind sharing, I would like to see some tarps setup in a camping scenery. Thanks in advance. :)
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 4:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 3
Crockett Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 12:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Click here to view these pictures larger

Post Number: 4
Crockett Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 12:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

duplicate..sorry for the experimentation. Can't quite figure out how to post just a picture

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0CatWzRwxZNXnQ
 Post Number: 5
ogg Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 1:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Equinox 8x10 tarp at Henry W. Coe State Park, California
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 2:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How do you like that Equinox tarp? I've been looking at the 8X10 myself. I just won a bid on a Pacific Outdoor WX S2 8.5X10.5 to try getting the hang of different setups.
 Post Number: 7
vinovampire Search for posts by this member.
Winter is Coming

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 10:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll play too. This is my 8' by 10' camo tarp in the Great Gulf Wilderness area of the White Mountains, NH.

Post Number: 8
ogg Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2012, 1:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TWinAlbany @ Dec. 08 2012, 2:31 pm)
How do you like that Equinox tarp? I've been looking at the 8X10 myself. I just won a bid on a Pacific Outdoor WX S2 8.5X10.5 to try getting the hang of different setups.

I liked the Equinox a lot in calm weather, but rarely use it anymore for a main shelter after a pitch failure during very high winds in Death Valley National Park. The pitch I used was initially pretty solid, but then the wind direction changed during the night. Since then, I've been using either shaped, tarp-tent type shelters or regular tents. There's a bit of a learning curve to using flat tarps, but its definitely worth trying one out.
 Post Number: 9
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2012, 11:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

AGG Solo Tarp (no longer in production, sigh) on the flanks of Mt. Bassie, Baranof Island, Tongass NF, SE Alaska:

Same tarp, same island, camped in the valley bottom:

Princess Royal Island, Great Bear Rainforst, NW British Columbia:

I have more of my older tarps, but since Webshots deleted all its albums, most the online links have disappeared.  I'll have to wait 'till I can upload them all to other albums.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 10
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2012, 12:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

2-person and solo, both in the Grand Canyon though different hikes.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2012, 1:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the great photos everyone! Post more if ya got 'em.

GoBlueHiker: I like the looks of that tarp also. It is too bad that they don't make it anymore.

TigerFan: That first scene looks like pretty rocky ground! :D  Did you sleep comfortably?
 Post Number: 12
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2012, 4:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TWinAlbany @ Dec. 12 2012, 1:00 pm)
TigerFan: That first scene looks like pretty rocky ground! :D  Did you sleep comfortably?

Yeah, that was one of those days when the sun was setting and we hadn't seen a good site for hours.  Choices were rocks or cryptobiotic soil.  So, we just sort of plopped ourselves down on the trail.  Nothing like a couple of thousand feet in elevation to make you sleep well anywhere!  :D

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 13
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2012, 4:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Might that include tarptents as well?  If so then the light and airy Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo (oringinal model -- current ones are even better while weighing the same):

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 3:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm hoping to eventually upgrade to one of these silnylon shelters. Need to get some experience with the flat tarp model I just purchased for a good price first though.
13 replies since Dec. 07 2012, 4:36 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Tarp Shelters
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions